Official Humax Firmware 1.03.13 (HDR-FOX) / 1.03.03 (HD-FOX)

Anyone else?
I tried it on HDR Fox T2 from HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 to Humax standard 1.03.13.
It had Custom FW on it.
'Updated' to 1.03.13 - it updates ok, but on restart fails to see the hard drive - offering to reinitialise it.
I ignore the options to initialise/format the hard drive, and just see if the channel switching are ok.
Switching channels takes up to 2 seconds to switch. When changing channels I get roughly 0.5 sec audio with black screen, then up to 2 secs for the video to appear. This seems similar to previous version. Audio sync is fine, unchanged from before the update.
I've updated it back to HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 and the drive (and contents) appears ok now.

The hard disc issue is likely to be because the updated kernel in the custom firmware has various fixes to disc handling. Plus support for GPT format discs which the stock firmware can't handle.

Last edited:
The hard disc issue is likely to be because the updated kernel in the custom firmware has various fixes to disc handling. Plus support for GPT formate discs which the stock firmware can't handle.
I forgot about that. Just checked and I did use GPT format. That explains why the standard firmware doesn't recognise the drive.

OK, well maybe this thread should be moved to the HD-FOX section after all.

I wonder whether Humax forgot the HD-FOX needs different firmware!

OK, well maybe this thread should be moved to the HD-FOX section after all.

I wonder whether Humax forgot the HD-FOX needs different firmware!
The channel display on the front panel of the HD Fox T2 works with 1.03.03 so it's definitely HD and not HDR firmware.

it's definitely HD and not HDR firmware.
Indeed. And it's 500k smaller as well, so obviously not an HDR version. It's difficult to envisage what's going wrong so badly, given they probably haven't actually done anything to humaxtv other than change the version number and rebuild it all.

My HDR-FOX T2 with 1.03.13 was working fine until last Saturday when it developed '*Deleting' error. To fix it I plan to install CW via USB Flash and use 'fix disk' utility. I feel a bit hesitant to do this until I'm sure what Custom FW version is compatible. I can't see the equivalent on the list of Custom FWs given on download page. Could anyone advise?

There is currently no CF based on 1.03.13, and we don't need one. Install CF 3.13 based on 1.03.12. Follow instructions for recovering the continuous delete here: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click). You should do this as soon as possible.

Once you've sorted that out, you can reinstall 1.03.13 if you really want, or you could avail yourself of the CF ecosystem. The missing functionality in 1.03.12 is simply the correct BBC iPlayer certificates, which can be restored (in CF) by installing the iplfix package.

If you decide to give the CF a try, see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

PS: There's no issue with compatibility. All firmwares (standard or custom) are the complete image, you're not mix-and-matching.

Last edited:
Plus the HD-FOX equivalent version includes a serious bug, so you definitely wouldn't want that. Somebody tell me what the benefit would be of incorporating 1.03.13 into a CF version, when the only property 1.03.13 is known to offer is updated certificates (and we can add those to the well-known and proven 1.03.12 ourselves)?

There's a difference between opinion and overwhelming evidence. When I'm touting unsubstantiated opinion, I say so.

This solution worked well and despite losing some125 of Mb capacity out of existing 1Gb I was happy. However, since then:

i/ prior to start the screen turns bright green for a brief moment
ii/ occasionally, the Fox turns itself off
iii/ more recently, when watching live TV picture freezes (happened twice so far).

Unplugging the machine and then restarting it some 15 seconds left fixes the iii. Sadly some recordings are lost.

Any suggestions how to deal with this or is this a problem for a new thread?

This solution worked well and despite losing some125 of Mb capacity out of existing 1Gb I was happy. However, since then:

i/ prior to start the screen turns bright green for a brief moment
Typical while the HDMI link is being negotiated.
ii/ occasionally, the Fox turns itself off

iii/ more recently, when watching live TV picture freezes (happened twice so far).

Unplugging the machine and then restarting it some 15 seconds left fixes the iii. Sadly some recordings are lost.
Are you saying that previously recorded programmes that you had been able to watch completely were damaged or disappeared?

Or that recordings in progress were damaged (unsurprisingly)?

Or that the recording schedule was damaged (CF would help with that)?
Any suggestions how to deal with this or is this a problem for a new thread?
Probably. iii) especially may indicate disk issues, which CF could help to fix, while ii) might point to some wicked issue of ageing electronics in the box.

2 years later...

In as much as iPlayer "changed" a while ago, so that even with the new certificates 1.03.12 crashes when you try to play something, I wondered whether 1.03.13 includes a modified browser to keep up with iPlayer, and whether anyone had checked. So I put my money where my mouth is and tested it myself. It doesn't.

All looked good to start with, I fired up whatever I was offered and for a second or two it looked hopeful, but <crash>.

There is currently no CF based on 1.03.13, and we don't need one.
In your opinion
What's yours then? And be sure to explain the reasoning behind it.
...and then a loud silence. I just tested whether there was even a crumb of benefit in 1.03.13, and it came out nada.

This solution worked well
"This solution" as in 1.03.13? I wonder what Mark92 thinks now...

I finally bought an Apple TV 4K (2022) to provide me with iPlayer and other UK free to air catchup services. My smart TV became a dumb TV when Sony stopped doing updates for a device only 8 years old (at the time they stopped) and that left me with nothing that could do iPlayer.

Back