Beta Offline decryption utility

I meant looking into the offline version. hfodu requires cwgwin1.dll, but no matter what Windows version I download and install as per the instructions I still cannot get hfodu to run. I have 64-bit Win10. Hence trying the stripts package to work on my HDR Fox-T2
You are mixing up two different programs here:-
1) HFODU by EEphil (Windows Program) requires Java
2) Stripts by af123 (Windows Program) requires cwgwin1.dll

"Sensibly" would be writing to a temporary file and then renaming it on successful completion.

Yes I'm going to try that, but back to work tonight, say may not get opportunity for a few days. Will update post with results.

Am I wrong, or should the OS make it impossible to open the same file for separate read and write access at the same time?
It's probably not for the OS to make that decision. In certain circumstances you might want to read part of a file whilst another user is writing to the file. (eg. a database - you'd want to lock the record though). For other uses you might want to prevent simultaneous access. The OS cannot know - it is up to the programmer to tell it! However, I would have thought the default operation was to prevent it.
"Sensibly" would be writing to a temporary file and then renaming it on successful completion.
I think I had this conversation with someone on the HFODU thread. Sensible, in my view, is to write a file keeping the original. After all I cannot be 100% sure that successful completion ocurred. When you, the user, know that output file is OK, you can make the decision to delete the original. I'm not going to delete your precious files for you - just in case [you want your money back :roflmao: ] .

Last edited:
I'm trying to get the serial number for my hd-fox t2. I no longer have any internet access to the box, but I can see the mac address and numbers on the box label. I'm trying to use the "stripts" utility in windows to get a couple of hd ts files to be decrypted.

The files are decrypted on the fox t2 (the "enc" does not show on t2) but I can't get the boothdr mode to work any more to copy to virtual drive - it's been a long time since I used the t2. I move the file to the root of the hdd and the humax does come back in HDR mode but I can't get to the "video" files using the media button on the remote (this is correct method??) I can get to "music" and "pictures" (these are both empty).

Instead, I have copied the entire video folder to my pc's hdd and trying to run "stripts" from there. I get "incorrect key" when running command. Does anybody know how to get serial number without webif available?

Thx much! PS. Is the MAC address, serial number stored somewhere on the HDD? I can see the entire contents of the HDD on windows using utility "Ext2explore".

UPDATE: I found the mac address and serial on the bottom of the unit and have run the "stripts" command successfully using mac address (without dashes) and first 10 digits of serial number with each number prepended with a 3. Decrypted file plays back fine on PC. Strange thing is that the command to check for the encryption key returned that the key was incorrect, but it did actually work.

Anyway, thanks for everybody's efforts with all the customized firmware and packages - really made using the HD and HDR Fox T2 boxes a pleasure.

Last edited:
Serial number is usually on a sticker on the back of the device, but I'm not going to pull out my box to have a look.
You should be able to get the MAC address from your router when it is on line (if that is not also on the label).

The files are decrypted on the fox t2 (the "enc" does not show on t2)
Lack of "enc" does not mean decrypted - it means it is not protected. Removal of enc from HiDef recordings is achieved with the auto-unprotect package and is a necessary precursor for hardware decryption. Enc is irrelevant for software decryption (see below).

Presuming your CF is up to date, you could have run software decryption on the HD-FOX directly from WebIF, no need for manual entry of S/N and MAC (and not too slow). This has practically replaced HDR Mode (I could never get that to work anyway):

From the WebIF media browser, OPT+ >> Decrypt (for immediate decryption of one recording), or tick the recording(s) desired and at the bottom of the listing select "Decryption" and then click "Queue for". The latter is the preferred method, because it will be processed in the background.

I believe auto-decryption and recursive auto-decryption can be set as folder properties, just the same as for HDR-FOX, but with the decryption queue being processed by software instead of hardware - I've not tried that myself, most of the time I don't need to decrypt my HD-FOX recordings.

I've been playing with decypting .ts files from my HDR T2 on Linux.
Thanks to all the information posted here and some ETSI specs that works nicely.
Wrote my own equivalent of stripts in C so I can make it do just what I want on the
latest Ubuntu linux. Added some options to only extract the main video/audio streams too,
and don't bother decrypting or writing the others so that makes it go faster.

BUT

There are some recordings, usually recent HD films that do something odd to the audio stream so it doesn't work when I
pull the decrypted .ts files into avidemux. They work ok on VLC and I can transcode them using ffmpeg to they DO work in avidemux.
I'm sure this is old news here but I'm looking for a way to fix this up at the same time as the decryption to make life slightly easier.
What are the broadcasters doing to these programmes and what is the magic fix?

HD films that do something odd to the audio stream
From what you say it seems a good bet that the audio codec changed from stereo to 5.1 a few seconds into the recording. Avidemux can't deal with that.

You can check using VLC (use tools -> codec information to see what audio codec is used at any point).
The easiest work-around is to set a bookmark at the start of the film and use crop to remove the first few seconds. The resulting cropped file should be fine in Avidemux.

Quite so. "Ordinary" media decoders tend to assume whatever the format is at the start will be the same all the way through (which is a reasonable guess for a typical media file), but broadcast streams have variable encoding, and decoders designed for broadcast streams are able to cope with format changes on the fly.

Added some options to only extract the main video/audio streams too,
and don't bother decrypting or writing the others so that makes it go faster.
I am surprised by this. I thought the individual streams were multiplexed onto the same transport stream, and encrypted as a whole (when written to HDD) - so it shouldn't be possible to extract individual streams without decrypting the whole lot.

Quite so. "Ordinary" media decoders tend to assume whatever the format is at the start will be the same all the way through (which is a reasonable guess for a typical media file), but broadcast streams have variable encoding, and decoders designed for broadcast streams are able to cope with format changes on the fly.

I am surprised by this. I thought the individual streams were multiplexed onto the same transport stream, and encrypted as a whole (when written to HDD) - so it shouldn't be possible to extract individual streams without decrypting the whole lot.

Each stream is separate in a single .ts file. You can filter by the PID which isn't encrypted.

E.g for the film I have trouble with

Stream type 1b ITU-T Rec. H.264 and ISO/IEC 14496-10 (lower bit-rate video) id=12d len=6
Stream type 11 ISO/IEC 14496-3 (MPEG-4 LOAS multi-format framed audio) id=12e len=20
Stream type 11 ISO/IEC 14496-3 (MPEG-4 LOAS multi-format framed audio) id=132 len=18
Stream type 6 ITU-T Rec. H.222 and ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG-2 packetized data), privately defined (i.e., DVB subtitles/VBI and AC-3) id=131 len=13

So I read pid 0 which is the PAT (list of programs/channels)
Infer which is used in the recording to get the PMT (list of streams in the recording)
They both require decryption, from that point onwards you can throw out anything you don't want keeping the main video and audio streams (ids 12d and 12e in this case) without
bothering to decypt the discarded packets. Saves significant time in some cases.

Seems my issue with the dodgy audio is the format changes from MPEG LOAS to 5.1 as @alanofcleeves says. Maybe there is a trick for that...

From what you say it seems a good bet that the audio codec changed from stereo to 5.1 a few seconds into the recording. Avidemux can't deal with that.

You can check using VLC (use tools -> codec information to see what audio codec is used at any point).
The easiest work-around is to set a bookmark at the start of the film and use crop to remove the first few seconds. The resulting cropped file should be fine in Avidemux.
Looks like that is the issue. Happens whenever there is a switch to/from adverts. I'll have to stick with reencoding the audio to be all stereo before editting out the adverts.

I'll have to stick with reencoding the audio to be all stereo before editting out the adverts.
I'm guessing that you want to use Avidemux to create an MP4 file free of adverts, possibly recoded to say, 720p.

Provided the recording starts in 5.1 (use File -> Information in Avidemux to confirm this) I've always been able to retain 5.1 audio in the resulting mp4 output file.
Just use Copy in Avidemux for the audio stream (and find and remove all the advert sections).

I'm guessing that you want to use Avidemux to create an MP4 file free of adverts, possibly recoded to say, 720p.

Provided the recording starts in 5.1 (use File -> Information in Avidemux to confirm this) I've always been able to retain 5.1 audio in the resulting mp4 output file.
Just use Copy in Avidemux for the audio stream (and find and remove all the advert sections).
I thought that would work, I just need to figure out how to con avidemux into believing it's all 5.1 even though it starts with stereo ads. Don't want to chop the front off to do it.
Not sure if it is sniffing the PMT for the stream information which would be easy to tweak or the actual stream itself which would be harder (more reading ETSI docs). Basically I want to just automate everything. My workflow is, record, copy .ts file off box still encrypted (samba share), give it to my program to decrypt, then manually top and tail and remove ads in avidemux. Save to server for later viewing. I'd automate the ad removal if I could trust it but I doubt it would be good enough in reality... So far it all works except the audio wrangling, but now I have a clue perhaps...

Looks like that is the issue. Happens whenever there is a switch to/from adverts. I'll have to stick with reencoding the audio to be all stereo before editting out the adverts.
There has been some work on using the sound switch as a means of adetection and cropping, see

Back