Beta Offline decryption utility

Thanks to all (especially af123, of course) for this work. I've now set my HDR and HD to both use all-zeroes for the keys and it's great being able to watch HDR recordings on the HD without having to wait for them to be decrypted.
I guess though that I would like to add my name to the list of people who'd like a Windows version of the offline decryption tool - I don't believe I have the skills to do it myself. Yes, I could reboot into Linux or whatever but it does rather disrupt the workflow...

Windows version of the offline decryption tool
This was something I was looking into. It would have been a decryption only tool (written in Java - so should, in theory, be portable). However, as I only have access to a 2000T and we haven't cracked the keys for that, I gave up. :confused: Currently a large amount of external irritation means that I haven't got the time to look into it. :frantic: If I can get a round tuit, I might have another look. :cautious:

(written in Java - so should, in theory, be portable)
Java's a joke.
I've had lots of irritation with later versions not being compatible with stuff written using earlier versions. At the moment I've had to reimplement an XP VM with no internet access (to stop it finding updates) just to keep an old sub-system going now that the old XP physical hardware has been removed. (The thing it talks to runs embedded Linux which has of course never caused any problems in the 10 years or so it's been running.)
Even native Windows isn't this bad. Backwards compatibility - what backwards compatibility?

This was something I was looking into. It would have been a decryption only tool (written in Java - so should, in theory, be portable). However, as I only have access to a 2000T and we haven't cracked the keys for that, I gave up.
Thanks very much. It would be great if you could do this - though it seems harsh to ask you to put effort into something you won't be able to use yourself!

Java's a joke.
Fine. I won't bother then.;)
There are other ways of stopping updates without resorting to removing internet access. I'm sure there is a setting that does the job - Ahrrg! The setting doesn't stick. However, I never leave my computer on and connected to the internet at the time it wants to do an update and so not a problem for me! :D
I know there are problems with some old versions of functions, but not ones I've had problems with - yet. Biggest problems with Java is how applets are handled. That's changed so much that I can no longer embed the damn things in web pages and get them to work. What I may continue to have a look at would not be embedded in a web page but would be a standalone jar file.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. It would be great if you could do this - though it seems harsh to ask you to put effort into something you won't be able to use yourself!
Don't hold your breath! Bearing in mind the posts #202, #203 and #205 it may not get done soon. If ever we crack the keys for the 2000T it could be of use - who knows.

stripts 1.4.3 now in the beta repository - somewhere between 6 and 15% faster than the last version!

Are you going to update the non-native version of stripts ?

Will do.
Still showing as 1.4.0 for the Linux version...

A Windows version would be fantastic and it would be interesting to see how fast a high end PC/Workstation could decrypt the recordings

I've got approx 4TB spread over 6 Seagate hdd's !!!

...so i need something lightening fast!

Is a Windows ver Live yet?

Use the Linux version in a Live Linux boot or running a Linux installed in a Virtual Machine under Windows. It's no biggie.

What I don't understand is why you haven't been decrypting routinely - we've known all about this since 2010.

What I don't understand is why you haven't been decrypting routinely - we've known all about this since 2010.

I know, I know !!

I've only been a member for a year, and previously i used to "watch from the sidelines" (like a lot of people i would imagine) and i never really understood what you guys were on about! lol - i thought it was some privileged club where outsiders weren't really welcome.

It's only since joining last year and engaging with you nice people that i've learned this is a welcoming community were we're all simply trying to help one another (like a family) with the same objective "...to make our Humax machines work better for us".

I've learned the value of 'Custom Firmware' (and of course decrypting) the hard way and i should of installed it years ago if i had the confidence (something i kick myself daily!).

So all my 4TB of historical recordings were all made before i even learned this site existed.

Of course, since last year and installing CF, everything is now decrypted via a copy to external usb-hdd (which is the preferred method for me), and i've been waiting patiently for a Windows friendly "bulk FAST decryption" method to come to fruition (as described here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/offline-decryption-utility.8676/page-2#post-122150), which i hope has now been achieved....?

The other problem i had was the original hummy died and i couldn't even copy/decrypt, so i was stuck for years with all these recordings - again something that has only recently been resolved (configuring the encryption key to match the old unit) - ie. effectively cloning your newer hummy to match the original hummy.

Linux still scares the hell out of me, so when i heard someone here was trying to make a Windows version of decrypting (offline as i don't have home internet) my ears 'pricked up'.

...and i'm hoping now that there are some very easy step-by-step instructions that allows me to bulk decrypt offline, using Windows or Linux if that's easier or quicker.

Last edited:
As a footnote - has anyone ever ranked all the different decrypting methods available, by time? - ie. slowest to fastest.

I always use the idiot friendly method of decrypting via copying (to external usb) as you can't go wrong as it's remote control based, and it doesn't need any special skills (unlike decrypt on the fly which means you have to faf about with settings on the WebIF - meaning i have to be 'online' at home.

I've measured consistently a 1hr SD takes 5 min (approx) to decrypt and copy, with a HD taking 12 min (approx) - can anyone better that?

I've read the 'Stripts + Decrypt' (utility) method as being extremely slow - taking around 30s for each minute of recording! - has this method been sped up yet?

Last edited:
and it doesn't need any special skills (unlike decrypt on the fly which means you have to faf about with settings on the WebIF - meaning i have to be 'online' at home.
But once you have faffed, it 'just does it'. It doesn't require any more faffing and you certainly don't have to be 'on line' at home. It must be easier than manually having to copy everything.

But once you have faffed, it 'just does it'. It doesn't require any more faffing and you certainly don't have to be 'on line' at home. It must be easier than manually having to copy everything.
Eric is doing it "on the fly" and not using the auto-processing options.

@Eric , why?

It appears that he would rather faff, rather than just letting the box do it automatically.

As a footnote - has anyone ever ranked all the different decrypting methods available, by time? - ie. slowest to fastest.

I always use the idiot friendly method of decrypting via copying (to external usb) as you can't go wrong as it's remote control based, and it doesn't need any special skills (unlike decrypt on the fly which means you have to faf about with settings on the WebIF - meaning i have to be 'online' at home.

I've measured consistently a 1hr SD takes 5 min (approx) to decrypt and copy, with a HD taking 12 min (approx) - can anyone better that?

I've read the 'Stripts + Decrypt' (utility) method as being extremely slow - taking around 30s for each minute of recording! - has this method been sped up yet?
I just use the auto-decrypt function set on the My Video folder and have an overnight reminder on the red button channel for the week nights TV may be watched or programmes extracted the next day. The decryption for a 1 hour HD programme will take no more than 5 minutes and for SD under 3 minutes - faster for channels which are low bandwidth SD or HD. Even adding Shrink wouldn't take any where near as long as "30s for each minute of recording".

Doing it this way means that I have no faff and also has the advantage that I can extract programmes if and when I want to by any download method. It will then also beat your "5" and "12" minutes even for the higher bandwidth SD and HD channels and programmes.

It also has the advantage that if the HDR stops working the recordings can be easily pulled off without any further faffing to decrypt.
As I use the auto functions I also shrink my SD programmes. Adding shrinking does take longer but it is all done auto, and usually overnight. This doesn't add to any transfer time, but instead speeds up the transfer as the files are smaller.

... unlike decrypt on the fly which means you have to faff about with settings on the WebIF - meaning i have to be 'online' at home.
If you don't want to take advantage of the auto features you don't have to have a PC/phone/mac/linux on-line to decrypt on the fly.
See the first part of post #17 on this link
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/safe-to-auto-decrypt-and-auto-shrink-my-video.2937/#post-35037

I just use the auto-decrypt function set on the My Video folder and have an overnight reminder on the red button channel for the week nights TV may be watched or programmes extracted the next day.

Hi not meaning to go top off topic but this is what I do without the reminder - can you give me a link to another post or a quick explanation how that helps :) I have the disable otr overnight and a scheduled wake up in the morning which seems to give enough time, I’d like to schedule more wake ups so anything can be decrypted & shrink without it being when the hummy is about to record and also to enable me more windows when rs could schedule something.

The work on decryption on cf is fantastic and this thread too makes me not fear my beloved custom firmware hdr Fox t 2 eventually breaking, I’m pretty sure I’d be scouring eBay as there’s nothing that comes close in terms of functionally and community thanks everyone

a quick explanation how that helps
That's his way of setting up "turned on time" for catching up on processing without it interfering with anything else. Red Button has no audio and does not cause extra disk activity buffering to the TSR.

I simply leave my machines running 24/7, which may have longevity benefits. I switch them to Red Button when idle.

Back