Old drive to new recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

talos

Super Moderator
Staff member
My old 9200t is starting to fail on me so I have ordered a HDR-Fox T2 from Humax , I understand I can fit an external hard drive to it throu USB. My question is can I use the HD from the 9200 in a USB caddy so as to watch the recorded progs already on there, The faults on the old 9200 are I think not hard drive related so can the fox read files recorded on it. I am not technically adept though I can fit a drive or buts to a computer without much trouble.

Unfortunately I dont think its going to be that simple but I might be wrong. The 9200t does save its files as .TS but I dont think the Fox will play them without modification.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

The 9200t does save its files as .TS but I dont think the Fox will play them without modification.
Sorry but that is wrong; it will play the files without modification. As Black Hole has pointed out, the difficulty is reading them from the drive and humaxrw is probably the easiest way. Thus may be a silly question but as humaxrw has a Linux version could it be compiled to run on the HDR?

Im sorry but most of those answers go over my head, a simple yes or no would suffice.

Any usage info?
There's a readme file within the Linux version. The only difference between the Linux and Windows versions is the method for accessing the Humax disks. On Linux it is /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc., on Windows 0:, 1: etc.

One thing I forgot to test last night is whether or not the Humax app. will decide to spontaneously reformat the disk since it will not recognise it. I normally use disk image files to test the app.

Im sorry but most of those answers go over my head, a simple yes or no would suffice.
I would hold off for a day or so until I have had a chance to do some further testing. This is new territory, no-one has asked for it before.

Later... It seems OK.

To answer your original question. You can not watch recordings directly from the disk, you have to copy them from the disk first using the humaxrw utility.

I think it has been made clear, particularly in the link in post 3.

To summarise: the 9200 uses a special disk format, although the actual files are playable if you can extract them from the disk first. In order to do this, the drive can be connected to a PC using a USB adapter and the humaxrw program downloaded and run in order to explore the drive and copy off files.

The humaxrw utility has now been made available as a HD/HDR-FOX custom firmware package, so the 9200 drive could be connected to an HDR-FOX USB port (via an adapter) and the humaxrw utility run via the Telnet command line to access it and copy files onto the HDR-FOX's own drive. Telnet is fully explained in the Wiki HERE (click).

Thanks xyz 321 for a straight answer, I cant do it without much "faffing about " then, right.
To Black hole, what may be clear to you is like mud to me, I have no technical ability at all, in short if don't have a plug and a socket to put it in I don't touch it:)

To Black hole, what may be clear to you is like mud to me, I have no technical ability at all, in short if don't have a plug and a socket to put it in I don't touch it:)
This will be slightly more complicated than plug and socket. You will have two options using only the HDR: either copy the files from the USB attached drive one by one as you wish to view them or (my preferred option) would be to copy all the files onto the internal disk of the HDR and then reformat the USB attached disk into a format that the HDR can read natively after which you could copy all the files back or place any other material on the drive. Either option will involve the installation of the custom firmware. The final possibility would be to attach the USB drive to a PC and use humaxrw on the PC to copy the files to the PC and then use FTP to copy them to the HDR. This would not require the custom firmware.

I would say that none of the options are particularly difficult but will require some effort on your part.

My old 9200t is starting to fail on me...
Failing how?

The faults on the old 9200 are I think not hard drive related so can the fox read files recorded on it.
Why do you think that? How do you know?

If I were to guess, I'd say it is the usual filesystem corruption that the 9200 suffers from. Your best bet is to copy everything off using humaxrw and then reformat it. You could even put stuff back afterwards if you really want, but you'd probably be better off leaving it on the T2 to reduce the likelihood of future loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back