Old sweeper package to file away one-off recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand... please explain, what am I missing?

How about if you use auto scheduling to pick up individual episodes of something like regional news to allow for cherry picking? I'm sure I've seen you suggest something like that as a workaround for a different problem but I can't remember exactly what the problem was.

Perhaps version 2 could use explicit property fields, eg <title>, <genre>, etc.

That was my plan, although I was going to use tokens like %t, %g - more descriptive token names would be better though.

How about if you use auto scheduling to pick up individual episodes of something like regional news to allow for cherry picking? I'm sure I've seen you suggest something like that as a workaround for a different problem but I can't remember exactly what the problem was.
Sure, in cases where series scheduling is unreliable. Those are specific cases, and I don't think a default action to move otherwise undealt-with recordings into folders with a multiplicity of names is going to prove popular in the long term. The rules can be used to isolate those cases though.

Sure, in cases where series scheduling is unreliable. Those are specific cases though, and I don't think a default action to move otherwise undealt-with recordings into folders with a multiplicity of names is going to prove popular in the long term. The rules can be used to isolate those cases though.
Hopefully the two people who have requested us can explain what they would use this for : )

Guess I haven't understood what it can/cannot do in its present form.

I hate having one-off recordings, of any genre, in the root folder. A mechanism that could file them into an individual folder with the same name as the recording, appeals to me.

Make that three ! A slight variation on this would be useful to me, if possible..

We have two HDR's, and the kids record a lot of stuff on SWMBO's machine, mostly as series. I have made a folder under My Video called 'Kids' and then subfolders appear under that (via the script described below) for the respective series that they record. This keeps all the kids stuff in one place, the top level tidier, and she can also more easily find what she's recorded!

I have a (fairly crude and horrible) home-brewed script that runs once an hour and searches the entire folder tree under My Video (except Kids and [Deleted Items]) for any programme of genre 'Children', makes a folder under My Video/Kids of the same name (unless it already exists) and then moves the programme into that. Finally it re-searches the tree and deletes any empty folders (left behind either as a result of the move or else having manually deleted the last programme from within a series folder but not the folder itself). Would be great if sweeper could implement something like this such that I can consign my script to the bin.

Would this script work to copy out individual recordings to a network share? I do not have my NAS running all the time but switch it on via the fantastic network share package. Could this package be used to copy all files to \\Network\Video\Series\TV folder on my NAS? My only concern is that it would fall over if/when NAS is not online.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Make that three ! A slight variation on this would be useful to me, if possible..

We have to HDR's, and the kids record a lot of stuff on SWMBO's machine, mostly as series. I have made a folder under My Video called 'Kids' and then subfolders appear under that (via the script described below) for the respective series that they record. This keeps all the kids stuff in one place, the top level tidier, and she can also more easily find what she's recorded!

I have a (fairly crude and horrible) home-brewed script that runs once an hour and searches the entire folder tree under My Video (except Kids and [Deleted Items]) for any programme of genre 'Children', makes a folder under My Video/Kids of the same name and then moves the programme into that. Finally it re-searches the tree and deletes any empty folders (left behind either as a result of the move or else having manually deleted a programme from within a series folder but not the folder itself). Would be great if sweeper could implement something like this such that I can consign my script to the bin.
This is broadly what series-filer (one of the first packages created) was written to do.

Guess I haven't understood what it can/cannot do in its present form.

I hate having one-off recordings, of any genre, in the root folder. A mechanism that could file them into an individual folder with the same name as the recording, appeals to me.
I have been using sweeper in beta test to send all individual (and flattened) recordings to the "[Unclassified]" folder for weeks, but I don't understand why you think a long list of folders (each containing potentially one recording) is better than a long list of recordings themselves. The folders will be listed alphabetically, whereas the recordings could be listed alphabetically or by age.

With "[Unclassified]", starting with "[U" puts it as the last alphabetical entry, so I can get to the next non-series (or flattened) programme to watch (by age) with up >> right >> up >> play.

Blackhole - Perhaps this could be configured to switch the kettle on 3 minutes before Eastenders finishes? What are your thoughts please?

To me a list of folders is much tidier than a list of recordings with the date and .ts stuck on the end. I am aware that no list space will be saved, that's not my point. I like things organised, at least as far as the root folder is concerned. You may well answer back that the recording are listed like that within their relevant folder, true enough, but its the root folder that I would prefer to look tidy.

It may not matter much in the grand scheme of things, but if af123 would like to add the facility, I for one, would be grateful.

This is broadly what series-filer (one of the first packages created) was written to do.

Series Filer would almost work, but I believe it needs a degree of manual intervention to 'learn' what to move, based on the user doing the first folder move themselves. Have never used it, but this was always my understanding of how it worked.

Just uploaded 1.0.4 which adds support for tokens in the argument to move and movecreate.

The tokens are:
  • %genre
  • %definition
  • %title
  • %channel
  • %lcn
  • %duration
  • %timestamp
So to do what has been requested, the required last line is:

Code:
action {movecreate %title}

Example from testing:

Code:
03/09/2013 16:16 - ACTION: movecreate(Test-%genre-%definition-%title-%channel-%l
cn-%duration-%timestamp)
03/09/2013 16:16 -  Expanded to [Test-Entertainment-SD-Tim Minchin and the Heri
tage...-Channel 4-4-87-20130824233802]

rpb424's variation request will take some more thinking about.

Thanks - really useful addition to the box. Much appreciated.

The available criteria are:
  • flag - a flag against the recording, e.g. 'flag New'. Flags are Locked, New, Encrypted, Guidance, ODEncrypted, Shrunk, Deduped.
I was wondering would it be possible to action changing flags (e.g. changing unlocked to lock) when the files are moved.

I was thinking that would be useful for the HDR in the kitchen and maybe automatically locking shows recorded between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. on the HDR the kids use.

I was wondering would it be possible to action changing flags (e.g. changing unlocked to lock) when the files are moved.

I was thinking that would be useful for the HDR in the kitchen and maybe automatically locking shows recorded between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. on the HDR the kids use.

Sweeper 1.0.5-1 adds a way of doing this. There's a new criterion of 'hour' which will let you select the recordings and another that lets you lock or unlock. These aren't actions so subsequent rules will be processed. To lock recordings in that time range and then move them to 'misc' you'd need:

Code:
hour {>=21} lock 1
hour {<8} lock 1
action {move misc}

or even (although it isn't as terse)

Code:
hour {>= 21} lock 1 action {move misc}
hour {< 8} lock 1 action {move misc}
action {move misc}

I have a (fairly crude and horrible) home-brewed script that runs once an hour and searches the entire folder tree under My Video (except Kids and [Deleted Items]) for any programme of genre 'Children', makes a folder under My Video/Kids of the same name (unless it already exists) and then moves the programme into that. Finally it re-searches the tree and deletes any empty folders (left behind either as a result of the move or else having manually deleted the last programme from within a series folder but not the folder itself). Would be great if sweeper could implement something like this such that I can consign my script to the bin.

Sweeper 1.05-1 has some test code in it for handling series recording folders. You can define rules starting with the keyword 'folder' and then it scans series recording folders at the top level and applies the criteria to the first recording in that folder. The available actions are fileunder and fileundercreate (and preserve). Examples might help! This is still under development so syntax may change.

series-filer like behaviour is achieved with the following. It looks for new series recording folders at the top level and tries to find a folder with the same name anywhere in the tree. If successful, it moves the new recordings from the series folder into the folder found elsewhere. Obviously it skips the undelete dustbin and any folders starting with a [ character.

Code:
folder action {fileunder ""}

You can restrict which parts of the tree are searched with the argument.

Code:
folder action {fileunder "Children"}

Criteria can be applied (they are checked against the first recording in the folder)

Code:
folder genre Children action {fileundercreate Children}

Here, fileundercreate means that if a matching folder is found anywhere under the "My Video/Children/..." tree then the recordings will be moved into there but otherwise a new folder will be created directly under "Children/"

So, if a new folder appears at the top level as a result of a recording called "Noddy" and there is a folder called "/Children/Cartoons/Age 1-5/Noddy" then this last rule will result in the new Noddy recording being moved into that folder. However, if there is no "Noddy" folder anywhere under "/Children" then the recordings will end up in "/Children/Noddy". If the action was specified as just 'fileunder' then if no directory was found then the recordings would not be moved.

As I said, still a work in progress but if anyone would like to play with it then it's available in the repository now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back