Options for Domestic Wired Networking / Broadband

The only reason I did was because it was offered as a free upgrade from the 35Mbps package that I was going to change to with another supplier and have yet to use its benefit.
I failed to get an upgrade from plusnet to include line rental, so I pay as much as you, but another £200 a year for line rental.

I tried the same bt speed test with a pc and latency was 20, much better, even using wifi. No point testing with a LAN connection, as (a) my usb LAN dongle wouldn't work, and (b) I always use WiFi anyway.

Finally, swapping out the over expensive Razer Sila router for an Asus considerably improved my WiFi signal.

I failed to get an upgrade from plusnet to include line rental, so I pay as much as you, but another £200 a year for line rental.

I tried the same bt speed test with a pc and latency was 20, much better, even using wifi. No point testing with a LAN connection, as (a) my usb LAN dongle wouldn't work, and (b) I always use WiFi anyway.

Finally, swapping out the over expensive Razer Sila router for an Asus considerably improved my WiFi signal.
Wow! thats expensive, you should consider TalkTalk, there off the shelf package with free line rental and 35Mbps BB is less than that.

@BH Old news but I guess that excludes you from Npower, British airways and the scores of other service providers that have ever been hacked too, apart from a brief period where I was able to teach some Indian phone scammers the extent of my knowledge of obscure English profanities I and my finances have never been affected by that past hacking of TalkTalk in the 20 years that I have been with them. Who do you expect is the cause of the scam calls that you have mentioned receiving?

@BH Old news but I guess that excludes you from Npower, British airways and the scores of other service providers that have ever been hacked too, apart from a brief period where I was able to teach some Indian phone scammers the extent of my knowledge of obscure English profanities I and my finances have never been affected by that past hacking of TalkTalk in the 20 years that I have been with them.
Can't you spot a joke?

Who do you expect is the cause of the scam calls that you have mentioned receiving?
Everyone gets them. They are dialled at random. Nobody I know doesn't get them, even people who have never been on the Internet in their lives. They annoy me particularly because they spoof their CLI and get past my call blocking algorithm.

I had one yesterday (words to the effect): "X will be deducted from your bank account on <date> for continuation of your subscription to Amazon Prime. Thank you for being an Amazon Prime customer [I'm not]. Press 1 if you wish to speak to customer services." I pressed 1. Young woman's voice: "hello?" (not even "This is Amazon Customer Services"!). Me: "How much abuse do you want?" <click>

I have spent ages tying them up on the phone, but yesterday I couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:
They annoy me particularly because they spoof their CLI and get past my call blocking algorithm.
Which is all perfectly legal, thanks to the 🙈🙈🙈who govern us. Even legitimate businesses can use a fake local number, but I know, this is different. Still, it does make it difficult to block the legitimate businesses who cold call you. Doctors, dentists, etc, who withhold their number also make it impossible to devise an algorithm that works.

Did you mean Caller ID, not Command Line Interface?😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean Caller ID, not Command Line Interface?😁
In this context, CLI = Caller Line Identification (I should have explained that in a footnote). "Caller ID" has become a de facto synonym.

Which is all perfectly legal, thanks to the 🙈🙈🙈who govern us.
Legal in the right context, and legitimate when an organisation might be calling from any office but has an incoming point of contact. However, the scammers respect no laws and if based abroad are diffcult to bring to justice.

I notice it's only the landline which suffers, maybe the mobile network is easier to police.

Is it people making phone calls and messaging from computers?

@BH Yes but it still deserved to be parried. I use no forms of call barring but for some reason I have not had any scam calls for about a year now. Nearly all the calls I used to get were from "Your internet provider" and started soon after the hacking so I assumed that was the cause though when questioned they seemed to have very few details of mine just name and phone number though they might have been random calls as one claimed that my provider was Virgin. I did a trace on one of the calls and it was coming from a district of Delhi.

unless you class mobiles as computers
A smart-phone can do more-or-less anything a desk-bound computer can do, so why wouldn't you?

Using computers to phone someone, say with Skype, may make it easier to fake numbers.
I don't think the scammers are using that. From my experience, it is a boiler-room somewhere with a computer dialling out at random and playing a recorded message if somebody picks up. Then, if that somebody responds to the message by keying a number, the computer connects that line with a call centre operative instructed to persuade the mark out of some money. The computer dialler is perfectly capable of sending the CLI spoofing tones without any help from Skype.

Nearly all the calls I used to get were from "Your internet provider" and started soon after the hacking so I assumed that was the cause
If there was any system in what they are doing, they would have marked my number down as a waste of their time ages ago.

I'm with BT, sure, and I have had a real person on the line claiming to be from BT, but I am sure they can find out who is operating a particular number (that one was unable to confirm the address on the subscriber record, and tried to kid me with a phoney one). I've also had one claiming to be from OpenReach... but everyone is served in some way by OpenReach, and nobody subscribes directly to OpenReach!

It was a decent package with mobile included, but I am looking around. Not many offer all three without TV.

I know that lists of names and numbers get traded on the dark web so even if one scammer marks you as a lost cause the next will have you as viable, I cannot explain why I have been left in peace for so long and I doubt that Talktalk are managing to filter out all the scammers calls. I suppose its possible that when I told one caller that their call had been diverted to the Scotland Yard fraud squad and I was tracing their call somehow put me on another list of numbers not to call lol.

Back