Options for Domestic Wired Networking / Broadband

So? How are they going to squeeze double the data rate than my modem is providing?

Neither am I using a HomeHub, so they might have got confused!
It is the theoretical maximum up to any router you have. Openreach is nothing to do with homehub, that is bt Broadband.

If your wiring is dodgy after the router, or you use wifi, your actual speed will be lower, but it will never be higher than that figure.

The modem is (currently) communicating with the ISP at 6186kbps. That's what gets plotted by SmartStats, which interrogates the modem. What I get when I log into the admin for the router and look at the line stats myself is:

1614550527788.jpeg

Any measurement that does not report 6186kbps must be ficticious.

That was advanced diagnostics. What do you get?
If you mean "additional diagnostic", it won't accept my phone number in the ID field. The basic test is reporting 10.48Mbps tonight.

You could try leaving a space after your area code in the bt wholesale additional diagmostics. Someone on EE said that helps.

So, are you near a cabinet? A daughter in London gets fibre to her flat, and good results like that. There is nothing nearby here to connect to, unfortunately, but on the other hand, BT charge a lot for something we would rarely use.

Latency is poor, possibly because I was using WiFi. I will redo my tests with a direct connection.

When we first got fibre, we were connected to a cabinet 1/4 mile down the road. Since then, another cabinet appeared 100 metres up the road. I wonder whether ISPs will reconnect you?

About 70/80 meters from a cabinet, £24.50 per month and includes line rental and free anytime to landline and mobile phone calls fixed for 2 years and first 3 months free so actually £21.50 per month.

Last edited:
When we first got fibre, we were connected to a cabinet 1/4 mile down the road. Since then, another cabinet appeared 100 metres up the road. I wonder whether ISPs will reconnect you?
You want to go faster?? Thats greedy.

Back