Options for Domestic Wired Networking / Broadband

Had a similar experience a few years back with talktalk. Their checker said we couldn't have FTTC but BT's said we could. So we changed to BT for a year or so (until I got fed up with their service and moved to Zen).
Maybe similar to me. Bought new property one year ago, Openreach infrastructure but Only BT could supply the available fttp. I'd been with Tiscali/Talktalk since 2003 getting a great deal but they couldn't supply our new house. Recently new fibre cables have been introduced and I've been told we'll be able to have a choice of providers next year.
Incidentally, this week, a family member has just negotiated a new T/Talk contract for fibre65 (fttc) for £23.50 per month.

Maybe similar to me. Bought new property one year ago, Openreach infrastructure but Only BT could supply the available fttp. I'd been with Tiscali/Talktalk since 2003 getting a great deal but they couldn't supply our new house. Recently new fibre cables have been introduced and I've been told we'll be able to have a choice of providers next year.
Incidentally, this week, a family member has just negotiated a new T/Talk contract for fibre65 (fttc) for £23.50 per month.
I am with TalkTalk and get fibre65, line rental and free anytime calls to landlines and mobiles for £22 per month fixed for 2 years, they rang me last week and offered me the same deal but with fibre150 for £24 per month.

Does anyone know how long it takes to migrate from ADSL to VDSL? Mine's allegedly scheduled for tomorrow.
Well, that's gone wrong, like most other things this year. Seems that OR have shifted the re-jumpering at the cabinet stuff to next Wed. (when I won't be in to keep tabs on it) without either telling my ISP or them telling me (it's difficult to tell which). And that's screwed up the billing as well - just got a bill for the out-of-contract ADSL price rather than in-contract fibre.
Ho, ho, ho indeed.

Well, that's gone wrong, like most other things this year. Seems that OR have shifted the re-jumpering at the cabinet stuff to next Wed. (when I won't be in to keep tabs on it) without either telling my ISP or them telling me (it's difficult to tell which). And that's screwed up the billing as well - just got a bill for the out-of-contract ADSL price rather than in-contract fibre.
Ho, ho, ho indeed.
You weren't really expecting it all to go as planned were you?

You weren't really expecting it all to go as planned were you?
No. Nothing ever does. The only good news is that they've credited me the difference off next month's bill. They have however screwed that up as well - but it's in my favour to the tune of £1.25! Suggestions for what I spend it on, and where, will earn half a virtual box of orange 🍊 and lemon 🍋 slices - well it is nearly the season to be merry🎄, isn't it?

🦠

No. Nothing ever does. The only good news is that they've credited me the difference off next month's bill. They have however screwed that up as well - but it's in my favour to the tune of £1.25! Suggestions for what I spend it on, and where, will earn half a virtual box of orange 🍊 and lemon 🍋 slices - well it is nearly the season to be merry🎄, isn't it?

🦠
Spend it on a first class stamp for your letter to Ofcom when next Wednesday comes and you find yourself without ADSL, fibre or a landline.

Well, that's gone wrong...
Didn't go wrong when I had VDSL enabled, having been with VM, but the email clearly said there was an appointment for an 'engineer' at my address at 2pm. Odd because it was a customer install so when no one turned up I went after them for a missed appointment. They tried arguing it meant at the cabinet but the wording was clear. Got through to someone who agreed the wording was wrong and I wasn't the first to complain, and I got 2 months free as a result.

Last edited:
Seems that OR have shifted the re-jumpering at the cabinet stuff to next Wed.
It all happened yesterday afternoon without needing to do anything as the modem was already pre-configured for both modulation types.
About 2.5 minutes of downtime when nothing seemed to happen (apart from a marginal increase in sync. speed afterwards) as still on ADSL, followed 45 minutes later by about 3.5 minutes of downtime with the migration to VDSL.
The thing I have noticed is that my Ping times to all destinations have gone up by 12-15ms which is not what I was expecting. Looking at the modem stats., I see interleave from Downstream is 1283 (Upstream is 1) which seems a huge number to me, but I have nothing to compare with, and that may be the cause.
I guess I have to leave it alone for DLM to do its stuff for the next 10 days though.

I am with TalkTalk and get fibre65, line rental and free anytime calls to landlines and mobiles for £22 per month fixed for 2 years, they rang me last week and offered me the same deal but with fibre150 for £24 per month.
I turned down their offer as I did not want to spend any more on something I did not really need but they called again today and offered me the same deal for no increase in cost, I had a year left on my 2 year contract but now have an even better deal for another 18 months, apparently they are getting pressure from the government to increase internet speeds for their customers and I guess its cheaper for them to improve the speed for those that already have fibre than persuade others to adopt it. If anyone is about to change their internet deal be sure to push them hard and you may be amazed at what you can get, the deck is loaded in your favour at the moment.

I've just had 108Mb contract plus weekend calls for 18 smackaroons. Prettttty good

Was not aware of the current push for moving everyone onto digital landlines.

very good
without vpn 152 down 29.64 up with vpn 148.59 down 29.55 up.

Installed today and he even fitted me a nice new BT socket. The only downside was having to have an openreach modem that then connects to the Talktalk router in order to get superfast broadband apparently.

Been having a discussion about planning for future FTTP on another forum. Someone who does cabling professionally reckons OE can be pretty inflexible when it comes to how they get it into the house. What was your experience?
{Edit] The fibre that is, not how they gain entry.

Last edited:
Been having a discussion about planning for future FTTP on another forum. Someone who does cabling professionally reckons OE can be pretty inflexible when it comes to how they get it into the house. What was your experience?
{Edit] The fibre that is, not how they gain entry.
Sorry but I cannot help, mine is via the phone line from the box just down the road so zero issue with new cables into the house however my house had been already set up for Virgin which I ripped out, an ugly cable cover on the garden wall as my garden is 4 foot above pavement level, another cover on the house wall with the cable between them run through a flexible plastic conduit that was buried about 3 inches under the soil.

A friend went to fibre and now has an OpenReach box connected to the WAN side of her BT HomeHub
I did not need the extra box for existing 65Mbps fibre but he claimed I had to have it to get the 150Mbps package.

Edit. I am not sure I need that box https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5...-with-my-new-super-router-medium/td-p/1482135 Too late to mess with it tonight but will tomorrow.

Another edit. Maybe I do need it.

"on ‎15-09-2020 10:39 AM
Message 7 of 8
The Hub does have an inbuilt modem, but it does not support the G.fast spectrum which provides the 150 service. So a separate Openreach modem is required."

Last edited:
Back