Options for Domestic Wired Networking / Broadband

"on ‎15-09-2020 10:39 AM
Message 7 of 8
The Hub does have an inbuilt modem, but it does not support the G.fast spectrum which provides the 150 service. So a separate Openreach modem is required."
I've had G.Fast for over 3 years and I've been getting 300/50 solid all that time (OK 49.99 up). But then I am only 110m from the cabinet on cabling installed ducted on a new build estate in 1987.

I've occasionally wondered if I could get them to install CAT6A in the ducting, I'm just about in range to get 10gigabit ethernet over that distance...

@Owen Smith
My cabinet is even closer than yours but to be honest having my speed doubled has not been a life changing event, having to wait an extra second for a page to load was never an issue for me and the only real benefit is that I get an extra 6 months before my contract ends now. 10 gigabit? :eek: unless you are that guy with 22 kids why would you want to? Cat6a? why stop there, go for Cat8 just in case the wife gets broody and you need 40 gigabit in the future. My latest TV suggests using cat7 but a quick search showed that to be more to do with sales than genuine need as explained here.
https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/know-your-cable-cat7-ethernet

I did not need the extra box for existing 65Mbps fibre but he claimed I had to have it to get the 150Mbps package.

Edit. I am not sure I need that box https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5...-with-my-new-super-router-medium/td-p/1482135 Too late to mess with it tonight but will tomorrow.

Another edit. Maybe I do need it.

"on ‎15-09-2020 10:39 AM
Message 7 of 8
The Hub does have an inbuilt modem, but it does not support the G.fast spectrum which provides the 150 service. So a separate Openreach modem is required."
I just tried without the openreach box and no joy so it appears that my fairly new router does not support G.fast. At least its big enough to hide the ugly white openreach modem with far too many flashing green lights behind it.

I found the main benefit of going to G.Fast is my latency reduced by a few milliseconds. That does matter for some things, I found it good for the VPN for work and for video conferencing.

CAT 7 and CAT 8 are not official standards, no point installing them. CAT 6A is the highest official standard but for runs under 55m there is no point installing it since CAT 6 is good for 10 gigabit over those distances. And CAT 6A is a very thick not very bendable cable.

found the main benefit of going to G.Fast is my latency reduced by a few milliseconds. That does matter for some things, I found it good for the VPN for work and for video conferencing.
I should add the increase in upload speed from 20 to 50 megabits was what I wanted and has proved to be more worthwhile as expected than the download increase from 80 to 300 megabits. Initially the download was capped by my ISP at 150 ie. 150/50 is what I am paying for. I didn't even notice when the download cap was changed to 300 until I saw it in the link stats and speed tests, and I suspect it is a mistake. My line still claims to be 150/50 in the pricing tier.

Been having a discussion about planning for future FTTP on another forum. Someone who does cabling professionally reckons OE can be pretty inflexible when it comes to how they get it into the house. {Edit] The fibre that is, not how they gain entry.
My experience from a couple of years ago with FTTP was that there was some limited flexibility but they certainly wouldn't countenance putting it upstairs at the back of the house when the cable duct is on the side of the house.

My experience from a couple of years ago with FTTP was that there was some limited flexibility but they certainly wouldn't countenance putting it upstairs at the back of the house when the cable duct is on the side of the house.
There's no BT/OR cable duct here - the copper line is in armoured under the drive.

When I had VM I ran their cable under the porch in 25mm conduit then up and though the garage in 20mm, entering the house just above the first floor at the network cupboard. Two 90° bends, one slow and one a bit sharper, plus a couple of kinks in flexible conduit. It's now been removed*. As I had no problem pulling it out complete with F connector, pulling fibre back in shouldn't stress it. Length was just under 10m with metre or so coiled.

So I'm hoping OR or whoever does the FTTP here (BT/OR have already surveyed the road and put some markings on the pavements) have no problem re-using the conduit, plus I'm also hoping they'll let me run the duct through the garden as I did with VM.

* Before anyone jumps in, I moved the termination to the brown box.

Last edited:
So I'm hoping OR or whoever does the FTTP here (BT/OR have already surveyed the road and put some markings on the pavements) have no problem re-using the conduit, plus I'm also hoping they'll let me run the duct through the garden as I did with VM.
I suspect that to some extent it will depend on the guys who turn up on the day. I had a painfully drawn out experience and had visits from both OpenReach personnel and sub-contractors. In my case the sub-contractors had much more of a "can do" mentality.

In my case the sub-contractors had much more of a "can do" mentality.
No problem with VM as they took the view I was making their job easier. Did have a bit of a problem getting the green conduit from the VM depot though - the jobsworth on the counter wouldn't let me have it although it had all been agreed and organised for me to pick it up. A quick call and a return visit later I had it the back of the car, the jobsworth now clearly embarrassed.

Someone I know was part of the Cambridge Interactive TV trial working for one of the subcontractors making network switches in the 1990s. Roll forwards to 2010s when he wanted a Virgin connection into a particular building through some ducting on his farm. "We can't do that, it needs a qualified underground works contractor" "Good job I am one then, here's the paperwork". The qualifications they'd taken to work on the trial had no expiries, and because they worked for a different company at the time it didn't matter he's never worked for Virgin or any of its predecessors. I realise most people don't have these benefits. People watching said it was dead funny, because he then got the tractor out and proceeded to dig a trench with the back bucket, gear that Virgin contractors can only dream of normally.

I am with TalkTalk and get fibre65, line rental and free anytime calls to landlines and mobiles for £22 per month fixed for 2 years, they rang me last week and offered me the same deal but with fibre150 for £24 per month.
"I turned down their offer as I did not want to spend any more on something I did not really need but they called again today and offered me the same deal for no increase in cost, I had a year left on my 2 year contract but now have an even better deal for another 18 months, apparently they are getting pressure from the government to increase internet speeds for their customers and I guess its cheaper for them to improve the speed for those that already have fibre than persuade others to adopt it. If anyone is about to change their internet deal be sure to push them hard and you may be amazed at what you can get, the deck is loaded in your favour at the moment."

June 06 2023

18 months on and the numpties wanted to bump it up to £39 a month after already raising it to £25 in August, I rang them and was offered a deal for fibre65 at £31 a month which included £8 for the anytime free calls as they cannot offer them for free anymore ( fibre150 made no noticeable benefit to me) so I started the switching process to Vodaphone (£25 a month for same broadband but only 11.1p per min on calls instead of Talktalks 24p, still pretty awful a deal).
Needless to say I soon got the "we are sorry you are leaving and please call us to see if we can offer you a deal" e.mail from Talktalk so I let them sweat for a couple of days then called them. After some haggling and referring to their manager I now have fibre65 for £23 a month + £8 a month for inclusive calls + a £130 voucher which I can spend on Amazon, M&S etc or credit off my bill with the first 3 months free. The £8 inclusive calls can be cancelled anytime which I will do after 3 months and use my mobile for any out going calls. I just spotted a Labara sim card through a deal on the Martin Lewis site, Unlimited calls and texts and 3GB of data, 49p a month for 6 months then £4.90 a month.
That all makes my fibre65 equivalent to just £14.33 a month for 18 months and unlimited calls for £2.70 a month for 15 months. A few hours of my life wasted but well worth the bother.

Last edited:
And people like me who just detest haggling lose out. It's not fair. They should just offer a decent price to everyone from the start.
They should in an ideal world but that world will never exist. Even if you hate to haggle just start the very simple process of switching provider when your contract ends and I guarantee your present provider will be in touch offering you a far better deal, the cooling off period gives plenty of time to stop the process and stay but with a huge saving.

They should in an ideal world but that world will never exist. Even if you hate to haggle just start the very simple process of switching provider when your contract ends and I guarantee your present provider will be in touch offering you a far better deal, the cooling off period gives plenty of time to stop the process and stay but with a huge saving.
I'm with Andrews & Arnold ISP, expensive but worth it. Their prices tend to stay the same or go down, or you get more for the same money. They're not trying to compete with anyone, if I left they'd just let me go. Their technical knowledge is second to none, I once questioned something and got sent the relevant RFC and a statement saying which clause they conformed to.

Back