Padding or accurate recording what are you using

Robti

hi I have read up on the wiki and just wondered what the majority are using, I would say 99% of my recording is done on the hd channels and just wondered as up to now I was using padding but as it’s the mainstream channels I record I wondered if accurate would be better ?
Thanks

Accurate Recording is the default setting, so unless a user has a reason to change this option it will be used, AR is said to be more effective when used on the 'main' channels (BBC, ITV etc.) as the other broadcasters are more likely to incorrectly flag their programmes

hi I have read up on the wiki and just wondered what the majority are using, I would say 99% of my recording is done on the hd channels and just wondered as up to now I was using padding but as it’s the mainstream channels I record I wondered if accurate would be better ?
I think previous surveys have shown that the majority of users are using accurate recording. Padding is necessary if you are deliberately receiving from more than one transmitter but for a box tuned to a single transmitter and watching mostly major channels then accurate recording will work better.

I use a padded manual repeat timer for recording the BBC New late evening Sports Day report as the bulletin can actually vary in time depending on the news of the day (occasionally even dropped completely) and because the series link for it will try to record every instance of it during the day.

I also prefer to use a hammock recording for live sports events and manually record the channel it is on as one single recording going on an hour or so beyond its planned finish and accepting that there may be some unrelated programme captured in the middle somewhere. I have been recording the TMS coverage of the Ashes from R5SX this way to listen to synced up to the recording of the BT Sport TV coverage on my Youview PVR.

I use padding with Dave since that can be quite a bit off but AR for everything else (seldom record from other minor channels)
Couldn't use padding for most channels since it would cause too many conflicts - we have 2 regularly series that end at 6pm and another that starts at 6pm. We often lose the first few seconds of the 6pm series - padding would make it much worse

Thanks
I use both.
The multimode package lets you pick and choose which channels you want AR for and which you want padding for.
I started off with the normal default set to AR for TV channels and padding for the radio channels. Half my recordings are for the BBC's radio documentaries and dramas and as Accurate Recording is not provided by any broadcaster for radio, including the BBC, many of these would be cut short if just relying in AR.

If or when I came across a TV channel that appears to get often cut short then I just quickly and easily adjust the multimode setting so that the channel uses padding.

For me the multimode package is the #1 package stopping me from looking for a replacement for my HDR-FOX T2s.

Generally speaking the channels that use AR are the more popular TV channels and all of channel 5 offerings.
Channel 5 were very late to the AR party but in my experience their AR is extremely good, just a pity about their series links.

For more info, see Things Every... (click) section 3 (and links to subsequent discussion). The CF provides options to pick and choose which recordings are made with AR and which with padding.

Last edited:
I have multi-mode which I used to to use to have a selection of the minor channels on padding. However, for the last 6-12 months I've had it set to all AR and it's generally been OK. The only snag I can recall is it missing the last minute or so of one episode a Dave series (I recorded a repeat later), so I suppose it might be worth putting that back on padding though I haven't bothered.

With the ubiquity of catch up services these days then it is easy to watch the missing minutes from most programmes.

With the ubiquity of catch up services these days then it is easy to watch the missing minutes from most programmes.
But a PITA, many of the catchups don't allow you skip/fast forward through ad breaks
Better to have a bit of padding on minor channels to avoid problems
If you are going to use a catchup service why bother with a PVR.

But adding padding across the board increases the chances of recordings clashing which is a PITA trying to find alternative showings etc.

Relying totally on catch up services means you often have to wait some time before a programme is available to watch and not all catch up services allow you to Pause / Play a live programme or start watching it from the beginning while it is being currently broadcast. Not to mention that some programmes are never made available on catch up, typically live sports coverage. And not to mention that programmes are usually only available to watch on catch up for a limited period whereas a PVR recording can sit there until you get round to watch it without worrying about it timing out.

Last edited:
This time of year is traditionally when I look through all my saved recordings and get rid of those that the distance of time has shown that I will never get round to watching or which I will never watch again. The Toy Story films always survive this cull. :)

Or never actually watch, but archive it anyway 'just in case'.:roflmao:
That sounds like me. I have about 4.75 TB of extra disk space that is nearly full from archiving programmes and films (plus image backups of laptop, scanned backups of old reports, research notes, photos etc). A good clearout is needed.

FWIW- I always use padding (2m before 5m after). I record mainly from the minor channels and I just don't trust AR on them. Not having CF available (for a 2000T), I can't mix and match which channels to use AR on, so I don't use it at all.

But adding padding across the board increases the chances of recordings clashing which is a PITA trying to find alternative showings etc.
Sometimes I just have to give up when this happens and use my own "skill and judgement" [ :rolling: ] to decide what to record, and what may be repeated in a week or so.

If need be I delete the time for a BBC programme as they can be watched on catch up without the annoyance of sitting through ad breaks. If I *do* need to watch a commercial TV programme on catch up then I tend to mute the audio during the ad breaks.

Back