Passthrough issues in Standby

eddiesp

I've just bought a HDR Fox T2 for the HiDef recording to replace a 9300. The 9300 works perfectly but with the Fox T2 when it enters Standby I lose Channels 54 (PSB3), 57(MEN) & 58(COM4). Channels 49, 50, 55 & 59 are OK. I use Winter Hill.
Power Saving in standby is Off and all other leads disconnected.
With power on I get Strength 10 out of 10 (7 for MEN) and Quality 10 for all channels.
With Standby 4 channels are unchanged but for the other 3 the Strength remains at 10 but the Quality drops to between 0 - 2.
I'm 40km from the transmitter so have plenty of strength to use a splitter but as I've just bought the box I'm concerned that there might be a hardware issue (but I'm at loss to think what).

I've just bought a HDR Fox T2 for the HiDef recording to replace a 9300. The 9300 works perfectly but with the Fox T2 when it enters Standby I lose Channels 54 (PSB3), 57(MEN) & 58(COM4). Channels 49, 50, 55 & 59 are OK. I use Winter Hill.
Power Saving in standby is Off and all other leads disconnected.
With power on I get Strength 10 out of 10 (7 for MEN) and Quality 10 for all channels.
With Standby 4 channels are unchanged but for the other 3 the Strength remains at 10 but the Quality drops to between 0 - 2.
I'm 40km from the transmitter so have plenty of strength to use a splitter but as I've just bought the box I'm concerned that there might be a hardware issue (but I'm at loss to think what).

Strange! With power saving on standby Off, your TV should be receiving exactly the same aerial signal as when the Humax is powered on.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to use the TV's own tuner with the Humax on standby, rather than using the Humax all the time and just using the TV as a monitor? You'll need to do the latter anyway in order to watch in HD, and features such as pausing live TV are useful even for SD programmes.

WT

Strange! With power saving on standby Off, your TV should be receiving exactly the same aerial signal as when the Humax is powered on.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to use the TV's own tuner with the Humax on standby, rather than using the Humax all the time and just using the TV as a monitor? You'll need to do the latter anyway in order to watch in HD, and features such as pausing live TV are useful even for SD programmes.

WT

I have power saving in standby set to ON, and I get a reduced signal on my TV's tuner. I have put a splitter on to solve the problem.

I tend to watch TV on my TV(!) to save power when I am not watching a recording. I can pause the stream if I want, and also watch HD, no problem. The only thing is that chase-play is not automatic, you switch it on by pressing Pause and from that point on you can fast forward/rewind until you press Stop twice.

I also have a TV with a HD tuner and I use my HD-Fox T2 as you do. I have not used the USB function on the TV with a HDD yet. Is this how you are able to pause live TV?

I have power saving in standby set to ON, and I get a reduced signal on my TV's tuner. I have put a splitter on to solve the problem.

I tend to watch TV on my TV(!) to save power when I am not watching a recording. I can pause the stream if I want, and also watch HD, no problem. The only thing is that chase-play is not automatic, you switch it on by pressing Pause and from that point on you can fast forward/rewind until you press Stop twice.

Maybe if you have a TV with a built-in HD tuner and with a PVR function in conjunction with external storage, those features on the Humax are of less interest to you. If that is the case, do you need the Humax at all?

I was replying to eddiesp who has power saving on standby Off and who probably (but I don't know for certain of course) has a TV with only an SD tuner and without any PVR capability of its own. Maybe (s)he will clarify?

WT

Maybe if you have a TV with a built-in HD tuner and with a PVR function in conjunction with external storage, those features on the Humax are of less interest to you. If that is the case, do you need the Humax at all?
:eek: That's very nearly heresy!

I've taken the simple option of replacing the single point, on the wall, with a double but I dislike unsolved problems.

The TV is one of Panasonics latest, TX-L42E6B, and has a HD tuner built-in, but apart from sport we watch very little live TV and use it, as Watt says, as a monitor.
It does not appear to support the recording live TV to the USB port, which many TV's now do.

For information, I mostly view via HDR-FOX for access to live pause - and also for the better EPG, and more convenient access when setting up recordings. However, I also use the TV tuner for regional news, and even for avoiding corrupting the live buffer while checking another channel.

Funny how a simple query about signal pass-through turned into a discussion about how we choose to use our kit!

I've taken the simple option of replacing the single point, on the wall, with a double but I dislike unsolved problems.

I know what you mean, but have so many unsolved problems (and have reached an age) that the pragmatic approach is now the preferred option. Did you try the simple expedient of replacing the daisy-chain cable? Only yesterday I found one of mine shorting between the core and the screen when disturbed. I know it doesn't seem likely, but funny things happen with RF.

I also have a TV with a HD tuner and I use my HD-Fox T2 as you do. I have not yet used the USB function on the TV with a HDD yet. Is this how you are able to pause live TV?

Yes. Despite info to the contrary, I find a USB memory stick works well.

The received wisdom is that the constant writing will cripple a UPD, but I am planning on trying it to see how long it takes (but I am having some trouble with the 32GB UPD I bought for the purpose).

The received wisdom is that the constant writing will cripple a UPD, but I am planning on trying it to see how long it takes (but I am having some trouble with the 32GB UPD I bought for the purpose).

I am using a Bytestore 16Gb one at the moment. If it eventually fails, at least it was cheap.

Tried a simple indoor aerial; on Moel y Parc signal is reasonable and everything works with the hummy in Standby, on Winter Hill similar to before but wierdly a different combination of channels not working. Added a 6dB aerial amp and eveything is fine. I suspect the reason the 9300T and Fox T2 behave differently is, if I recall, the 9300T has a RF link between the 2 tuners whereas in the Fox T2 the RF signal goes via the motherboard so even though the tuners are powered in Standby there appears to be some sort of signal drain in the motherboard.
As the aerial is over 20 years old, a replacement might fix the issue but as the cable is under the floor I think I will stick with much cheaper, and less hassle, option of the wall splitter.

I've just found exactly the same behaviour on the HDR FOX2 I've just bought. On standby, channels up to 47 are passed through ok but channels 56 and above are not. I tried reducing the signal level input in case there was some strange intermodulation going on but it made no difference. I've had to resort to splitting the signal before connecting it to the FOX2. I've never encountered this problem before, I'm wondering if the passthrough circuit is actually being powered up on standby. It's annoying that it doesn't work as specified. I wonder if it's a common problem or just a batch fault. As most users would probably only be using the attached TV with the FOX2 powered up they are unlikely to be bothered.
I also noticed that whilst my signal level is reported as max on all my other equipment, on the FOX2 it shows only as around 80% for all channels.

On standby, channels up to 47 are passed through ok but channels 56 and above are not.
I cannot imagine why this would be. I just checked and confirmed that both my HDR-FOXes pass through channels 23 to 58 with no problems. Are you aware that the upper channels are being cleared to make way for 4G? Are you sure you should be receiving on channel 56 and above?

As I think I replied originally in this topic, life is too short. If a splitter solves your problem I recommend you live with it.

I also noticed that whilst my signal level is reported as max on all my other equipment, on the FOX2 it shows only as around 80% for all channels.
That means nothing, unless you know what actual signal level (probably in microvolts) represents "100%" for each individual item of equipment. As far as the Humax is concerned, the quality figure is far more relevant (representing the number of errors detected in the data stream).

Back