Pause button problem.

Mac

Hi,
My Foxsat HDR is five years old. A problem has arisen. When I "pause", the action stops dead but the sound continues for 3 or 4 seconds.

When I press the "pause" button to restart, the action starts immediately but the sound doesn't start for a few seconds.

Any advice?

Phew!...nearly got stuck on that techy question, but luckily found the answer......
Software Version...HPRSFCI 1.00.21
Curiously, it says I am set to receive Automatic Updates, yet on the same page as the Software Version, it states Update Date : 27 Jul 2012.

Do all HD channels use ac3 audio? I just tried mine on BBC1HD and ITVHD and they were both pretty instantaneous. Or is it something to do with Pannys. Mine is connected to a Sony via HDMI

Yes they do. I can't check my Foxsat till later (you don't have surround sound turned off in the box TV setup by any chance ?). It's doesn't get that much use these days. As you can see it was certainly a well known issue and afaik it was never fixed. (At least I don't remember a firmware release that included the fix in the release notes (My memory is not as good as it used to be though :) ) .

That is the latest software. Do you get the issue if you pause a SD channel ?

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've had a quick look through some recordings I did on oldish-type SDs and the problem does not show itself on these.

In the interim, in thinking that it may be the remote packing up, I swopped codes with the remote for my HDR-Fox T2, to see if that may be the problem. (I don't seem to use the T2 as much as the HDR, and the remote is almost new, so it may be that the original remote has been overused!).

Thankfully, so far the problem seems to have gone for the time being! I'll closely monitor it for the next few days with the swopped remotes and if it is still there I'll get back.

(Incidentally, I've been a member since 2011 and the reason I haven't needed to post is that all you experts have been able to answer my problems via the Search facility. Many, many thanks!)

There is one possibility. In the past you may have disabled surround sound output in the Humax TV setup menu. If you have done a factory reset for any reason it will have reverted to surround. Turning it off again in the menu should sort it out. I doubt it's a remote control issue.

Hi,
My Foxsat HDR is five years old. A problem has arisen. When I "pause", the action stops dead but the sound continues for 3 or 4 seconds.

When I press the "pause" button to restart, the action starts immediately but the sound doesn't start for a few seconds.

Yes, I get that too. I just tried it on Question Time. It pauses almost immediately on the SD channel but on HD, there is a slight blip. However, if you leave it paused for a while and then wind back and pause, there is a sound run-on of several seconds. On restarting, sound is missing for the same time. There is a further complication.

* If you skip back with |<< and then pause and restart, the behaviour is as above.
* However, if you wind back with <<, the picture and sound are no longer in sync.

It also happens on HD recordings, even played from the start, ie, starting and then pausing causes the run-on of sound.

Yes, I get that too. I just tried it on Question Time. It pauses almost immediately on the SD channel but on HD, there is a slight blip. However, if you leave it paused for a while and then wind back and pause, there is a sound run-on of several seconds. On restarting, sound is missing for the same time. There is a further complication.

* If you skip back with |<< and then pause and restart, the behaviour is as above.
* However, if you wind back with <<, the picture and sound are no longer in sync.

It also happens on HD recordings, even played from the start, ie, starting and then pausing causes the run-on of sound.

I've never realised this before as I don't use the "pause" function when viewing. If I have an interruption, I hit the record button and then when I want to rejoin the programme, I watch the recording. That way I don't miss the end of the programme.
The "delayed sound syndrome" just started a few days ago and I was going to put it down to the remote control getting a bit past it.

Slightly off-topic, but..............
......after swopping and re-coding my two remotes (see earlier post), I notice that the T2 remote (RM-F04)is different from my HDR remote(RM-F01). The T2 doesn't have a "schedule" button (second row from bottom) on it. I used this when calling up the Programme Guide in conjunction with the Red button which enables the information to show much more quickly. Is there some way of getting the same function on the T2 remote?

Use the custom firmware for HDR-FOX, program a macro into the ir package for a button you find you can do without that does the equivalent of Guide >> Schedule (yellow).

Use the custom firmware for HDR-FOX, program a macro into the ir package for a button you find you can do without that does the equivalent of Guide >> Schedule (yellow).

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with that sort of procedure. Can you give me a link to follow step by step?

Since last posting, I decided to take the older remote (RM-F01) apart and clean the bits. (Pretty nerve-wracking for a first-timer).
There was a lot of sticky stuff on the face of the circuit board which I cleaned off with some IsoProp. and soapy water for the rubber pad.
The buttons now work easier.
I decided to re-code the remotes back to their original functions, so I'm back to the status quo.

Final testing after all this......

Problem still exists when "pausing" on playing RECORDED programmes.....action pauses but sound continues for 6/7 seconds. On playback....action starts but sound doesn't start for 6/7 seconds.

Live HD tv.......action and sound pauses. On playback, sound almost instantaneous....then shows subtitles!!!!

Live SD tv........Action and sound pauses and replays without problem.

Yes, that is a "feature" and has always been there as far as I recall. With the live HD tv, as I said, you will see the sound problem if you skip back and pause. The subtitles appearing is farcical, but cured by pressing Exit twice!

As for the schedule button, I can't see why Humax didn't include it for the T2, especially as it is there on the (older?) Foxsat HDR remote. My Logitech Harmony remote has never indicated anyone finding any hidden command and programming it on a T2.

There is a hidden command for the Humax YouView box to go straight to Recordings. I have it programmed into my Harmony 555 but it is a bit hit and miss.

Try turning subtitles on and then off again on the channel that brings them up after a live pause. Can you now pause without them appearing ?

Well I just tried pausing an HD recording of the GP practice recorded earlier and there is no glitch. The sound and video stop and start together.

@GLT. Unfortunately it's still a pain as you can't switch subtitles when you are not live. So the times it's annoying you, you can't do anything about it.

Have you got surround sound enabled in the Foxsat-hdr TV set up menu ? The idea is to turn subtitles on and then off again while you are watching the affected TV channel live. It's thought the global subtitles on/off and the channel specific get out of sync. Turning then on and then off again appears to re-sync the two settings.

Back