PC Construction

I have a web "home page" where I keep all my regular links so that I can access them from anywhere - and that does weird things with the character sizes in Android too.

Nit picker. Yes #130 as well including the quote at 142. It totally screwed up my display.

As you can see from my screen capture, perfectly OK. What I am getting sometimes though is large text in the reply box.

But it only ramped up to cool an overheating case. I had sensors on the heatsink and HDD as well as exit air temperature.

I use a laplet now.

An old classic:
NO Keyboard Detected!
Press F1 to Run SETUP

You might have thought Mr. AMI would have changed the text by now...

What, no SSD? :eek:

SSD will come later. The big push now is to get Linux installed and a Win7 VM created (Mint installing now).

The only hitch I've hit so far (apart from having forgotten my nice typists keyboard is on long-term loan to a friend, and my wireless desktop has PS/2 connectors, so dashed out to Tesco for a £6.99 Trust keyboard) is that the RAM is registering as 2133MHz instead of 3200MHz (the setup screen identifies it as "Corsair", which is correct, but "2133"). I tried upping the RAM speed to 3200 manually, but then it wouldn't boot.

The RAM says 3200 on the packet, so this may need some technical support.

Installing the cooler was a bit fraught - a pair of brackets had to be removed (for holding clip-down coolers), and then a load spreader plate that sits under the mobo was loose. The AMD cooler has heavy spring-loaded screws, so the force being applied to just one corner to start with, to engage the first screw, was a bit nerve wracking. It already had thermal paste applied too. Everything else has been a cinch.

'Tis fast! My notebook took an age to boot Mint from DVD - this goes like the clappers! I'm going to get a Mandelbrot program loaded and running, but that means hooking up Internet etc etc... not tonight Josephine!

IMG_2588.JPG

Oh yes - and I've turned off the motherboard light show!

Last edited:
Ah, OK, I now know about JEDEC profile and XMP (extended memory profile), and found a page in the BIOS that shows the 2133 settings in the JEDEC profile with the 3200 settings in the extended profile. I haven't figured out how to switch on the extended profile (I presume I don't have to enter the values myself), but that can wait (do a "before and after" performance comparison).

That "Search on FAQ" at bottom right isn't much help - unless you have a QR scanner! All it does is pop up a QR, a human readable web link as well would help!!!

IMG_2593.JPG

Edit: Again for reference, I couldn't decode the QR captured off screen, but the QR is also in the ASUS manual: http://qr.asus.com/c075c5

Last edited:
No wonder I couldn't find the f*****g thing!

I found some information in those "FAQ"s that mentioned the Ai Tweaker panel in the BIOS, with the "Ai Overclock Tuner" settings as either "Auto" or "XMP" - Okay, sounds like what I want.

So I went to that panel and found the Ai Overclock Tuner (which I have seen before), and in my BIOS the options are "Auto" or "D.O.C.P" - WTF is that??? Which is why I didn't recognise it.

Switch from Auto to DOCP and bingo, the 3200MHz RAM Settings pop up.

PS: the BIOS section in the manual has only been useful for one thing: the QR on paper. It only shows you what you can see for yourself on-screen, no extra explanation whatsoever. That's why men don't bother with manuals.

Back