PC Directory and Video Folders in iPhone Apps

I won't know what version of windows you are running on your PC but if it helps determine whether you can see the Humax DLNA server there are other options:
On my windows 7 PC I can see the Humax DLNA server from:
- if you view Network Devices (key "Network Devices" into search on Start menu, chose "View Network and Computers")the resulting window lists all devices on your network INCLUDING Media Devices - the Hummy server should show here.
- Media Player (version 12). The Hummy appears below the library list (left hand panel of screen) under "Other Libraries"

NOTE: this only tells you whether the PC (and presumably the rest of the NW) can see the DLNA server, it does not prove that you can play the videos.

I won't know what version of windows you are running on your PC but if it helps determine whether you can see the Humax DLNA server there are other options:
On my windows 7 PC I can see the Humax DLNA server from:
- if you view Network Devices (key "Network Devices" into search on Start menu, chose "View Network and Computers")the resulting window lists all devices on your network INCLUDING Media Devices - the Hummy server should show here.
- Media Player (version 12). The Hummy appears below the library list (left hand panel of screen) under "Other Libraries"

NOTE: this only tells you whether the PC (and presumably the rest of the NW) can see the DLNA server, it does not prove that you can play the videos.

Thank you. I really hadn't realised there was a problem.
I did what you suggested, and the Fox T2 is NOT seen (but the Foxsat is).

network.jpg

I can ping the Fox T2 HDR in 1ms with no packets lost. And a network scan on my iPhone shows the FoxT2. And of course I can log in to the webif by typing the IP address into my browser. In Windows Media Player, Other Libraries is greyed out ie nothing seen.

As previously pointed out to me, on the occasions where it was seen in the Network, it was because I had the Samba service running.

Thanks for going to all that trouble. By the way, I followed advice and rebooted my router and, after a reboot of the FoxT2 didn't help, I did a factory reset and then reset Content Share back to On. (That was before I made the screenshot abobe.)

Martin

It's definitely DLNA problem then, ping and webif talk "directly" to the Hummy not to the DLNA server.
So there it must be something to do with DLNA visibility.
Like BH I'm stumped, but clutching at straws ...
Do you by any chance have the CF dlna_filter package installed. I'm not sure if that can affect it but ...

How is the Hummy networked (Ethernet/wifi), and how is it physically connected.

Are you now saying that nothing on your network detects the HDR-FOX DLNA service?

Could be your router, try resetting it. (Yes, I know it sounds weird, but I have had weird network service blackouts only affecting some devices which were cured by a router reset.) UPnP Inspector really should find anything on the network with an active DLNA service. If UPnP Inspector fails after a router reset, try a full cold reboot (power off at the mains) of the Humax, and then as a last resort a factory reset (installation menu - it won't wipe the recorded contents unless you opt for a HDD format, but you will need to retune and set up your recording schedule again - or restore it from WebIF backup).

Thank you for your guidance: I honestly hadn't realised there was a problem, but I've learned a lot as a result so I'm not unhappy about it.

Router rebooted, and no, it doesn't sound weird at all; I should have tried it without having to be told. I ran a full cold reboot of the FoxT2 HDR and when that still did not show it in UPNP Inspector, I ran a factory reset (thanks for the better-safe-than-sorry warning on HDD format). Then I went back in and ensured Content Share was reset to On. And I waited long enough for UPNP Inspector to rediscover devices.

I just had a brainwave and went to the package list (installed) and looked for anything with DLNA in the name. I had DLNA-filter installed - I removed it and guess what.....

inspector.jpg

FOX T2 IS NOW VISIBLE IN UPNP INSPECTOR

I'd installed DLNA filter because I read: "Filters out DLNA server network traffic to prevent other DLNA servers from crashing the Humax." A case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Now, I can see a lot of arcane stuff in UPnP Inspector expanded under FoxT2, but I cannot see any listings of individual media files so that I might answer the original question concerning does a DLNA client (on Windows) see the encrypted HD media file. VLC Player is still playing up: the FoxT2 does not show up in it..

However, when I go to Windows Media Player, where the Fox T2 now DOES show and I can now state that: the 2 encrypted HD media files DO NOT show at all in the list of media files.

This has been a nice little practical exercise to help make sense of some of the things I read and I'm now a fair bit more familiar with things.

If there are further checks you'd like me to make, I'd be most pleased to do so.

Thanks for your kind help and guidance. I have learned a lot and am most grateful.

Martin

I don't know anything about the foxsat but I see it uses twonky server for DLNA. Anybody know what version?

It's definitely DLNA problem then, ping and webif talk "directly" to the Hummy not to the DLNA server.
So there it must be something to do with DLNA visibility.
Like BH I'm stumped, but clutching at straws ...
Do you by any chance have the CF dlna_filter package installed. I'm not sure if that can affect it but ...

How is the Hummy networked (Ethernet/wifi), and how is it physically connected.

You and Black Hole have been tremendously patient and helpful. You'll see from my posting above that I believe I found the problem: I had dnls-filter installed in the mistaken belief it was a good thing to do. On removal, I followed your advice and went to Windows Media Player and saw the Fox T2 HDR and all its non-encrypted media files listed. It even attempts to play the SD files, with a bit of stuttering but it is capable of playing the format.

As ever, the best way to learn is to break it and then try and fix it.

I'm most grateful to you and Black Hole for your guidance and help and the things I've learned along the way from both of you.

Martin

Upnp inspector will not show the files with their original names, it will show them in the form 123.ts. This is the DLNA name for the file internally.
If you go into webif and list your recordings, select a recording name, an info panel pops up giving details of the file. The DLNA number is also shown.

Don't worry about this DLNA clients get presented with recording name.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424115018.309226.jpg

The entry is DLNA URL near bottom.

I don't know anything about the foxsat but I see it uses twonky server for DLNA. Anybody know what version?

Version 4.4.18. I've attached the screenshot of the packages I have installed just in case you want to see other things. In the Available packages list, there is a Twonky5 (version 5.1.6) listed. I seem to remember there was a good reason I hadn't installed it - to do with a subscription service I think.

NB. THIS SCREENSHOT IS FROM MY FOXSAT

FOXSAT PACKAGE.jpg

Martin

No problem as you've sorted it. Our responses crossed.
By the way dlna_filter is only needed when a Twonky Version 7 server is on the network. The latter causes Hummy crashes.

Got to grips with UPnP Inspector at last: the 2 HD encrypted files I have test-recorded similarly DO NOT get listed.

Martin

No problem as you've sorted it. Our responses crossed.
By the way dlna_filter is only needed when a Twonky Version 7 server is on the network. The latter causes Hummy crashes.
Not just Twonky. Other DLNA servers have been reported to cause the Humax to crash. Definitely a Humax bug but the dlna-filter package works around it. You can configure it to block just the IP address(es) of the problem media servers too.

Not just Twonky. Other DLNA servers have been reported to cause the Humax to crash. Definitely a Humax bug but the dlna-filter package works around it. You can configure it to block just the IP address(es) of the problem media servers too.

Ah, af123, a chance to thank you not only for this custom firmware but also for your work on the CF running on my Foxsat. Richer Sounds couldn't quite grasp why I flatly rejected a free brand new, modern Humax to replace my old broken Foxsat. I ended up introducing Richer Sounds customer services director to the Foxsat Media Bundle CF for his own Foxsat, and now, he at least, understands why people go to such great lengths to keep their Foxsats and Foxes running regardless of cost. (It's thanks to the broken Foxsat that I also ended up with a FoxT2 as well; every cloud has a silver lining.)

Many thanks

Martin

Upnp inspector will not show the files with their original names, it will show them in the form 123.ts. This is the DLNA name for the file internally.
If you go into webif and list your recordings, select a recording name, an info panel pops up giving details of the file. The DLNA number is also shown.

Don't worry about this DLNA clients get presented with recording name.

The entry is DLNA URL near bottom.

Fantastic! I realised that I could copy that URL from UPnP Inspector then go to VLC Media Player > Media > Open Network Stream > Enter the Network URL , click on Play and Bob's your uncle. Many pieces of this jigsaw have come together for me in the past couple of days.

Sincere thanks to everyone.

Martin

I had DLNA-filter installed - I removed it and guess what.....
This is not right. af123 says dlna-filter is supposed to block inbound traffic only - I interpret that as meaning accessing external DLNA sources from the Humax as a client. Here, you have been trying to make the Humax appear on your network as a server.

It's intended purpose is to prevent specific troublesome servers causing the HDR-FOX to crash due to a bug in the Humax firmware. You would normally specify specific IP addresses to block, not specifying anything blocks all of them.

I can't imagine why you thought it was a good idea to install dlna-filter without a specific need - what other packages have you installed just for the hell of it??

I can't imagine why you thought it was a good idea to install dlna-filter without a specific need - what other packages have you installed just for the hell of it??

I have installed:

anacron
auto-unprotect
auto-update
betaftpd
busybox
bzip2
channeldel
cron-daemon
dbupdate
detectads
disable-dso