Pending Sector won't Reallocate

Pardon my ignorance, but is it fine to add functionality to the CF using the likes of shell scripts? (I'm presuming python wouldn't be ideal, or even bash, since not all CF boxes would have them.)
The only thing to watch out for is that there is very little memory and processing time available. Jim is optimised for small embedded platforms and works well on the Humax. Several things are also written in shell (busybox ash rather than bash as the latter is too bloated). I've never done any experiments with python on this platform but I doubt it's as lightweight as Jim.
Another advantage of Jim is that there are libraries available to use within the environment that make lots of things very easy - assuming you know the language of course!

Why is that a concern? It depends on ones personal attitude to risk and expenditure.
The problem is that many people, myself included, do not know how to sensibly interpret the disk statistics to make a proper distinction between 'normal' behaviour, and imminent disaster. The criteria for sending emails needs to be set at appropriate level, too frequent and they will become 'crying wolf' spam that is ignored until too late

Unfortunately that's always going to be the case, regardless. A warning email could spell out how to interpret the information, but it is perfectly valid to treat any such warning as an indication of "if you value your recordings and ability to record, it would be wise to consider disk replacement in the not too distant future". That's not to say necessarily urgent urgent, but definitely peace of mind for anyone who doesn't know better.

Having examples of "fixed" disks that have then managed to run for years afterwards does not invalidate replacement as a means of preventative maintenance.

Back