Playback freezing

The files don't need to be decrypted as long as they are going to be played on the original Humax, There is a built-in FTP program in Windows (file) Explorer, So after you have turned on FTP in the Humax Menus just enter ftp://10.0.0.200 (using your Humax IP address) into the address bar SEE LINK HERE

Ok, can you go through that step by step for me please? (apologies for being dense :() How do I get the IP address from the Humax - in one of the menus? (I'm assuming this transfer can be done wirelessly, and I have set up the wireless connection between the Humax and my router, but I've not tried connecting the laptop to the Humax before and I've not set up a network at home before either!) And where in Explorer do I find the FTP package? Or is it a case of drag and drop?

Edit - just seen the edit to your post as I posted mine!

On the Humax remote Go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings >>FTP Server = On then go up to Configure LAN (same screen) make a note of the IP Address. On the laptop / P.C. right click on START >> Explore all Users, Clear any text in the address bar at top of the screen and enter ftp:10.0.0.200 (using you noted Humax IP address) follow the LINK HERE. Use copy and paste to FTP files to your P.C.
EDIT2
Note the Humax and the P.C. MUST be on the same network e.g. both using the same wireless router.
You can copy the files to DVD but at 4.4GB each you might need a lot of them

Well it took me a bit longer, and the ftp never worked - set it up and it said 2 days to transfer! So after the box stopped recording altogether, I did a reset/format, took about 5 minutes, and (although I lost all my recordings) the box is bcak as new. We'll see how long it lasts this time before starting playing up again.

I get the impression that the drive Humax fit to the 1TB models is not that reliable compared to the standard 500GB model, as most 'drive' related issues reported here seem to be with the 1TB drive. Replacement seems to work, sometimes re-formatting does. Could it be the drives are fine but writing to the disk is the cause in some way? My 1Tb model is about 3 months old and just over 1/4 full of HD recordings. I'm starting to worry :)

I get the impression that the drive Humax fit to the 1TB models is not that reliable compared to the standard 500GB model, as most 'drive' related issues reported here seem to be with the 1TB drive....

I have wondered about this myself. My HDR was bought as a 500GB model and I installed a 1TB HDD myself, even though I knew it would invalidate the 2 year warranty. I took the opportunity to remove the orange filter in front of the display at the same time.

Realising that I am tempting fate here, but it has performed faultlessly in a little over the 12 months I have owned it. I have to agree that there does on the face of it, appear to be some 'issues' with the standard Humax 1TB model.

For the record, I also fitted the same 1TB HDD in my Topfield 5810 and that too hasn't missed a beat.

I did a little research on the best type of HDD to buy at the time and the Western Digital unit I choose was 'specifically designed' with PVR's in mind. I don't regret buying them.

I get the impression that the drive Humax fit to the 1TB models is not that reliable compared to the standard 500GB model, as most 'drive' related issues reported here seem to be with the 1TB drive. Replacement seems to work, sometimes re-formatting does. Could it be the drives are fine but writing to the disk is the cause in some way? My 1Tb model is about 3 months old and just over 1/4 full of HD recordings. I'm starting to worry :)

I won't dare to comment apart from the kit list in my signature and I've had it about a year now.

Back