Playback Query

C

Cumbrian

I have had my hummy only a couple of weeks,i have recorded and watched a few program's.Last night i was recording a program and decided to watch it when it was half way through,i switched the hummy on and the red recording light came on,but i couldn't work out how to start watching the program while it was still recording,it didn't matter what button i pressed nothing happened.Can someone please tell me how to do this.Thank You.Cumbrian

Chris when i press the Media button nothing happens,i notice in the display it changes to Video but nothing comes on the tv screen,it just keeps showing the program i am watching at the time.Cheers Cumbrian

How odd.. its worked for me before.. That sounds like a bug if the box says video but the screen doesnt actually display the OSD..
What firmware are you on? the latest?

Chris yes i am on the latest firmware,if i click any button on the remote the display changes to show which button i have pressed,but has i say nothing comes on the tv screen.Cheers Cumbrian

I'm gonna sound like an IT help desk here and ask the obvious - your TV is on the input the Hummy is connected to not the internal tuner? I take it you get other OSD like the EPG/Guide etc just not the media OSD and it changes channel ok?

Other than that the classic solution from the IT industry - turn it on and off at the switch on the back!

Or even better: Turn if OFF *then* ON. ;)

And it is a good idea to wait a few minutes with it powered off before turning it back on. Time enough to make a nice calming cup of tea.

Just had another go at it,if i switch the hummy on and watch my tv(Analog connected via scart lead) through the hummy and i now set it to record i can watch the recording from the start while it records the rest of the program,thats what i want to do,now if i have the hummy on standby and set it to record it records okay,now if i switch the hummy on from standby this is when it will not do anything.If i am watching tv on analog then switch the hummy on it switches the tv onto digital,but if the hummy is on standby and recording and i switch it on the tv stays on analog.maybe it has something to do with my analog tv and scart lead.I should have my new flat screen tv set up at the weekend connected via hdmi cable.I switched it off and on at the back but its made no difference.Cheers Cumbrian

I reckon it sounds like you are not actually viewing the Humax when the OSD is not coming up..

There is a source button on the remote - this is for Scart business - give that a try.

Yes I agree with ChrisDaniels - it sounds like your TV only switches to the scart input automatically when it is already turned on and then you turn on the Humax box.

If you turn your TV on when the humax is already on - which the scart socket signal says it is when recording - your TV ignores this and you need to press the input select on the remote or the TV.

I am leaving this problem for the time being,tomorrow i will set up the hummy with my new flat screen tv and see if it works okay with that,i have had it a month but the wifes been looking for a decent stand for it,doesn't like those glass things.if it works okay i will post back.Thanks Cumbrian

Another thing that caught me out a bit is that the remote has many.modes. just make sure that when you press the Media button, or whatever, the PVR button lights up red. Sometimes I put it into tv mode and forget to put it back into PVR mode.

Just a thought really. I know you probably thought of that, but sometimes the most simple things fox us simpleminded folk! :)

You'll find it works fine over HDMI, but auto-switching (like scart) to the HDMI source is not supported as standard on most LCDs/Plasma from what i can gather.

I've got a 42' Samsung Plasma and had a pop at Samsung support about this, but they didnt seem to understand.. you can however get auto-switchers off Amazon for about £20.

Anyone else got any knowledge about Auto-switching over HDMI?

Or even better: Turn if OFF *then* ON. ;)

And it is a good idea to wait a few minutes with it powered off before turning it back on. Time enough to make a nice calming cup of tea.

Another reason for doing this - 20 seconds at least - is that there is a hard disk inside that takes time to spin down. The advice always used to be let a HDD spin down completely before powering on again. Maybe it no longer applies to modern hard drives but it's something I always do, and it certainly won't do any harm.

You'll find it works fine over HDMI, but auto-switching (like scart) to the HDMI source is not supported as standard on most LCDs/Plasma from what i can gather.

I've got a 42' Samsung Plasma and had a pop at Samsung support about this, but they didnt seem to understand.. you can however get auto-switchers off Amazon for about £20.

Anyone else got any knowledge about Auto-switching over HDMI?

Chances are that if your PVR was a Samsung (if they make them) it would work just fine. Auto-switching HDMI comes under the CEC (Consumer Electronics Communication?) standard but, as with so many standards, each manufacturer implements their own interpretation meaning that only their kit works properly.

I have the same issue with my Sony TV - the Sony Blu-ray and Home Theatre sound system, also Sony, work perfectly together, but the Hummy won't auto-switch the A/V amp, or turn it on (which would also turn the TV on).

Yeah thats what i found out too about the manufacturers only supporting their own equiptment.. kind of lame considering it worked fine with scart and that you can buy an auto switcher that works in the same sort of way.. I hate HDMI for that..

Set up my hummy with my new flat screen tv and everything seems okay,a couple of questions,the HDMI lead that came with the hummy is it good quality,i read something about the speed of HDMI cables,also the lead from Antenna out on hummy to Antenna in on tv,the one i have i got with some other recorder,do they have to be good quality.Thanks Cumbrian

They just have to be just good enough to make sure the bits get from one end to the other. Don't fall for the hype surrounding interconnects such as "oxygen free" and "gold-plated" which apply even less to digital leads than they do to analogue leads if they apply at all. And do you really think Humax would supply a lead which put the quality of their PVR in doubt?

(actually that last question has me thinking when applied to the quality of the remote controls they supply)

Back