Please help me recover my disk CFW 3.11 & 3.12

I've updated it to widen the search, try again (it will take longer this time).

OK, thanks. Here is the output.
Code:
humax# diag igorw                                                                                                                                                                     
Running: igorw                                                                                                                                                                         
Searching for partition 1...                                                                                                                                                           
Unable to find partition 1                                                                                                                                                             
Searching for partition 2...                                                                                                                                                           
Searching for partition 3...                                                                                                                                                           
Unable to find partition 3                                                                                                                                                             
Partition 3 starts @ , ends @ 1953520064

I really appreciate you trying to help me and I was wondering if that diagnostic gave you the information you needed or is there something else I should be doing to try to restore recordings and functionality?

Best wishes.

Let me have another look at the diagnostic - it was supposed to detect where the partition boundaries are.

Thanks, here's the output this time:
Code:
humax# diag igorw                                                                                                                                                                     
Searching for partition 1...                                                                                                                                                           
Found partition 1 @ 63                                                                                                                                                                 
Searching for partition 2...                                                                                                                                                           
Found partition 2 @ 2120580                                                                                                                                                           
humax#

Great, we now know where your partitions should be.
Can you remind me what state the disk is in? The output of 'gfdisk -l /dev/sda' would be useful.

Thank you so much for your help. Here's the output.
Code:
humax# gfdisk -l /dev/sda                                                                                                                                                             
GNU Fdisk 1.3.0a                                                                                                                                                                       
Copyright (C) 1998 - 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.                                                                                                                               
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.                                                                                                             

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                                                                                                                       
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                                                                                                                         
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the                                                                                                                         
GNU General Public License for more details.                                                                                                                                           

Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel                                                                                                     
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,                                                                                                                     
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous                                                                                                                   
content won't be recoverable.                                                                                                                                                         

Disk /dev/sda: 1000 GB, 1000202273280 bytes                                                                                                                                           
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders                                                                                                                                         
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes                                                                                                                                       

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System                                                                                                                         
humax#

Right, just need the start of the third partition then we can create you a new partition table.
Please run the diagnostic one last time.

OK, I get this "out of memory" warning.
Code:
humax# diag igorw                                                                                                                                                                     
END CHS 1953520064                                                                                                                                                                     
sh: out of memory                                                                                                                                                                     
humax#

Hi Just wondering what the next step should be. Did that out of memory stop the diagnostic or did it give the necessary information?

Thanks

The out of memory error doesn't help - it means we don't know where the third partition starts.
You should be able to access your recordings by at least creating partition 2 at the right place, so:

Code:
humax# gfdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): u
Changing display/entry units to sectors
Command (m for help): o

Then create a primary partition 1:

Code:
Command (m for help): n
Partition type
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
p
First sector  (default 0s): 63
Last sector or +size or +sizeMB or +sizeKB  (default 122913314s): 2120579

Then the video partition, you can just press return when it asks for the sector values here:

Code:
Command (m for help): n
Partition type
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
p
First sector  (default 2120580s):
Last sector or +size or +sizeMB or +sizeKB  (default 122913314s):

and write the table to disk:

Code:
Command (m for help): w
Command (m for help): q

Now try to mount the partition:

Code:
humax# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/hd2

If that is successful, your recordings will be under /mnt/hd2/
Ideally, transfer them off to somewhere else and the reformat the disk.

Thanks. After trying to write the table to disk, I get:
Code:
Writing all changes to /dev/sda.                                                                                                                                                       
Error: Partition(s) 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,
31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50,                                                                                                       
51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 on /dev/sda have been                                                                                                           
written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably                                                                                                         
because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in                                                                                                         
use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.                                                                                                                             
   i   Ignore
   c   Cancel

Thanks. After trying to write the table to disk, I get:
Code:
Writing all changes to /dev/sda.                                                                                                                                                      
Error: Partition(s) 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,
31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50,                                                                                                      
51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 on /dev/sda have been                                                                                                          
written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably                                                                                                        
because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in                                                                                                        
use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.                                                                                                                            
   i   Ignore
   c   Cancel
That doesn't sound at all right to me and I wouldn't reboot until af123 has commented. Did the process go as af123 had outlined?

Back