Plex Media Player for the Humax

The source is on github, and wiki.plexapp.com has a guide for compiling and contributing. It is a fork of the GPL licensed XBMC anyway, so they don't have much choice!

My bad, I misread the original question. I run the plex server on my NAS and transfer recordings from the FOX-T2 to that. My interest in plex would therefore be purely for the client. apologies!

I've just started using plex and what would be ideal would be a way for the plex server to connect and to the humax via DLNA so we dont have to worry about decrypting everything just the unprotect flag - why do I ask for this --- because the plex server transcodes and means we could watch hd streams on ipad / android - at present I'm now struggling to watch them on tablets.

SD ones work fine :) but ipad2 and my android tablet just arent up to the HD streams :-(

Plex does support DLNA - works to my smart tv's well, dont now if the nowtv box can be hacked to playback dlna streams ?

What? Do you mean run the Plex thing on another box, accessing content on the HDR-FOX and transcoding it on the fly to pass on to an iPad??

I already do that. My iPad 3 isn't up to playing HD stuff directly off my HDR without stuttering, but SD is fine. I suspect the new iPad Air might be better, since my wife's iPhone 5 makes a better stab at it and nearly plays properly (having a more powerful processor), and the iPad Air is more powerful still.

Therefore I run Plex server on my Windows 7 PC, with the HDR mapped to it as a Windows drive (since DLNA is not supported). When I want to play HD on the iPad I simply run the iOS Plex client which finds the server, and everything gets transcoded on the fly (so long as it has been decrypted first, which I automatically do for everything anyway). For SD I usually use nPlayer on the iPad, accesssing the HDR via DLNA.

Yes that's what I'm after but wanted to not have to decrypt everything

How did you setup the samba share ?

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4

If it's external access to the Humax you want, just install the samba package. The Humax drive will then show up as a network resource on a Windows network.

Once the Humax is set up with SMB, a minor extra hurdle you have to overcome is that Plex server on Windows will only accept media sources as drive letters rather than UNC paths, so you have to map the Humax SMB share to a drive letter in Map Network Drive.

Once the Humax is set up with SMB, a minor extra hurdle you have to overcome is that Plex server on Windows will only accept media sources as drive letters rather than UNC paths, so you have to map the Humax SMB share to a drive letter in Map Network Drive.

If it's external access to the Humax you want, just install the samba package. The Humax drive will then show up as a network resource on a Windows network.

Yep that'll work guess I just have to set things to autodecrypt, I was hoping to use the dlna route just for ease but it's still got to be worth doing it this way as thinking about it I can archive off my humax to my pc then which is a hp mini server n54l :) great little box which cost me £100 after cashback deal hp were running

Just a thought really, if the Humax could run a version of the Plex Media Player, I think it would be possible to stream from the Humax to a Now TV box for £10, the Now TV box doesn't come with a Plex client but it is possible to install it (Details HERE), as the Now TV box is basically a Roku box

Quite tempted to get one of these cheap boxes :)

Looks like the Samba suggestion here would work as I'm running plex on my ipad to it, it also works great for sharing via DLNA to TV as it has transcoding and where as my sony tv wouldnt play via dlna from the humax without the work of the guys here to try and swap the audio streams sharing via plex sorts it fine no messing about

Quite tempted to get one of these cheap boxes

We bought one and we're very pleased with it. We run Plex on our unraid server and it works fine. Got the £4.99 entertainment pass and watching The Tunnel on Sky Atlantic and surprisingly, no adverts. Might fork out for another month.

Quite tempted to get one of these cheap boxes :)

Looks like the Samba suggestion here would work as I'm running plex on my ipad to it, it also works great for sharing via DLNA to TV as it has transcoding and where as my sony tv wouldnt play via dlna from the humax without the work of the guys here to try and swap the audio streams sharing via plex sorts it fine no messing about

Samba solution working beautifully - actually made me get a plex pass too - just need to get a bigger disk for the server now as humax is 1tb and could do with archiving... Maybe santa will get me one :)

Regards

Damian

I've gotten an iPad Air today, and this has the horsepower to stream HD directly from the Humax without the need to transcode via Plex. My previous iPad 3 struggled to do this. I'm using nplayer for this at the moment. VLC works as well and is free, although the app has less features.

I used to be able to stream HD files from a HDR-Fox to my Nexus 7 (2013 model) flawlessly. This got screwed up by the KitKat 'upgrade':(

Back