Plex nvidia shield and .TS problems, question about container?

h264 and h265
These are not containers, they are video codecs (for example: the .ts container may include h.264 video and AAC audio). The trouble may be that the .ts output from PVRs is not true .ts but actually (IIRC - I get a bit confused about some of this) .m2ts. You could try renaming it.

However, if that doesn't work, it should be straightforward to re-mux the .ts contents to .mp4.

do you mean just renaming the file to .m2ts by changing extension?
Yes.
That's because native HDR video has 192 byte packet size (M2TS format) although recordings have the .ts extension.

That won't necessarily help in your situation, I don't know whether Plex understands M2TS either. The following contains a clue to a possible remuxing utility, in your case to create MP4:
Convert your source to .m2ts format with tsMuxeR GUI (very fast) then rename them to .ts before processing with sidecar.

You could even try converting the existing M2TS to proper TS and see if Plex likes that.

Thanks again. The helpful guidance is very much appreciated.
I'll try (in order):

1. Renaming to .ts
2. Converting with tsMuxeR GUI
3, Change container with videoredo.

I'll report back in due course.

The shield is a great little box with plex, providing files are compatible. Fingers crossed one of these work.

Thanks again. The helpful guidance is very much appreciated.
I'll try (in order):

1. Renaming to .ts
2. Converting with tsMuxeR GUI
3, Change container with videoredo.

I'll report back in due course.

The shield is a great little box with plex, providing files are compatible. Fingers crossed one of these work.
As @Black Hole said above, the recordings on the HDR-FOX are m2ts streams (not ts): try renaming to m2ts.
Most of the standard def. recordings will have MPEG2 video and MP2 audio: remuxing these to .mpg files should work. Some standard def. and all high definition recordings will have H264 video and AAC (LATM) audio. These are best converted to mp4 files. You will need to convert the AAC-LATM audio to AAC though.
TSMuxer GUI can't handle the AAC-LATM audio, it only has support for AAC. Plus it can't convert to mp4.
If you have Videoredo then use this for your reprocessing. If not you could try Avidemux or Handbrake on Windows.
Ffmpeg is useful for converting MPEG2/ MP2 recordings to .mpg files. This can be done on the HDR-FOX itself from Webif or the standard command line interface. However the version of ffmpeg (2.8) on the HDR-FOX has a bug which can make this process fail. Either revert to version 0.10 on the HDR-FOX or do it on a Windows PC with an up-to-date ffmpeg Windows Zeranoe build. Ffmpeg is not great for converting H264/AAC-LATM to mp4. You can copy the video stream and conversion of the audio to AAC is quick, but it is common for the resulting files to have the video and audio streams out of sync.

As @Black Hole said above, the recordings on the HDR-FOX are m2ts streams (not ts): try renaming to m2ts.
Most of the standard def. recordings will have MPEG2 video and MP2 audio: remuxing these to .mpg files should work. Some standard def. and all high definition recordings will have H264 video and AAC (LATM) audio. These are best converted to mp4 files. You will need to convert the AAC-LATM audio to AAC though.
TSMuxer GUI can't handle the AAC-LATM audio, it only has support for AAC. Plus it can't convert to mp4.
If you have Videoredo then use this for your reprocessing. If not you could try Avidemux or Handbrake on Windows.
Ffmpeg is useful for converting MPEG2/ MP2 recordings to .mpg files. This can be done on the HDR-FOX itself from Webif or the standard command line interface. However the version of ffmpeg (2.8) on the HDR-FOX has a bug which can make this process fail. Either revert to version 0.10 on the HDR-FOX or do it on a Windows PC with an up-to-date ffmpeg Windows Zeranoe build. Ffmpeg is not great for converting H264/AAC-LATM to mp4. You can copy the video stream and conversion of the audio to AAC is quick, but it is common for the resulting files to have the video and audio streams out of sync.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Many Thanks.

For some reason, there's no prob with the SD recordings, they seem to work fine, it's just the HD ones that seem to be causing the main problem.

If I do go down the videoredo route just to switch container, then would you suggest any particular profile, or just an MP4 container with mp3/AC3 with 192 kbps as audio?
Interesting that it is OK with m2ts streams with standard def. recordings. For high def. recordings, have you tried keeping the m2ts container and converting the audio to either AAC (ADTS) or AC3? If you as going to convert to mp4, 192 kbps sound reasonable for the audio stream. Stick to AAC (ADTS) audio with mp4 the HDR-FOX will play this OK.

For some reason, there's no prob with the SD recordings, they seem to work fine, it's just the HD ones that seem to be causing the main problem.

That puts a whole new complexion on things. It does not accord with a statement in your original post (even if I disregard the inappropriate use of past tense):
Plex on the nvidia shield... doesn't like the .TS container.

Clearly Plex is happy with .ts, even with the M2TS format, otherwise StDef wouldn't work either.

That leaves a couple of possibilities:

1. The video and/or codecs are incompatible; or

2. You've not decrypted the file. See Decryption Guide (click).

the main problem.

Is there another problem?

Back