Poor management of USB storage

PhilipJ451

Hi All,
A few months ago I upgraded from the Humax FVP1800T to the FVP-5000T and having used it for a while now I thought I would ask if others are finding similar problems to me.
I should say that I had the FVP1800T for quite a few years and got very used to it's quirks, I should also add that I often like to copy files from my Humax to my PC for viewing at a later date.

I know that I have to copy a recording to USB storage in order to decrypt it for other units/programs to be able to view the recording.

So:
1) Having made the recording, if I use the Menu option Move (or Copy) to transfer it to a USB memory stick, IT TAKES AGES!!! several hours to transfer a single 1 hour recording.
2) Once the transfer is complete it is very difficult to see where the recording is stored, they all seem to be lumped under the general list of Recordings.
3) If I use the Freeview->Media option I can choose to look at the internal HD or the USB memory stick - BUT this function does not show any recordings! If I select Video from the option, I guess it is looking for MPG files or similar.

There are many other issues with the User Interface that trouble me, but they don't come under the heading of my thread, which is specifically the management of storage so I won't go into details here.

All in all, really disappointing after having enjoyed the quality of the FVP1800T for many years I expected something much better from a newer Humax.

Anyone else have experiences to share ? Am I doing anything wrong ?

PhilipJ

Just a general observation: it does not surprise me at all if export options are made inconvenient - the content producers and advertisers don't want it to be easy, but the PVR makers want to be able to say it is possible in their blurb (without mentioning how tricky it might be).

I presume you are talking about StDef recordings. HiDef recordings would be much larger per hour, but not be playable off-box.

Hi Black Hole,

yes, just standard def recordings, I know about the problems with exporting Hi Def, it was the same on the FVP-1800T.

I know the content producers don't want us to keep our own copies of their material, if they force us all onto their streaming options they control how often we view the adverts that pay for their services. I suppose I am a bit of an idealist but I wish the companies would be more honest in the specs for the products - or even make it clear what the units can or cannot do BEFORE we buy them. Before I bought the unit I read a lot about how you could access files via the network connection, of course it didn't say that if you copy a file over that network connection then it is useless because it remains encrypted!!

regards
PhilipJ

Yeap copying recordings is realistically redundant because it takes forever. I tried a could times and had to abort

Hi All,
A few months ago I upgraded from the Humax FVP1800T to the FVP-5000T and having used it for a while now I thought I would ask if others are finding similar problems to me.
I should say that I had the FVP1800T for quite a few years and got very used to it's quirks, I should also add that I often like to copy files from my Humax to my PC for viewing at a later date.

I know that I have to copy a recording to USB storage in order to decrypt it for other units/programs to be able to view the recording.

So:
1) Having made the recording, if I use the Menu option Move (or Copy) to transfer it to a USB memory stick, IT TAKES AGES!!! several hours to transfer a single 1 hour recording.
2) Once the transfer is complete it is very difficult to see where the recording is stored, they all seem to be lumped under the general list of Recordings.
3) If I use the Freeview->Media option I can choose to look at the internal HD or the USB memory stick - BUT this function does not show any recordings! If I select Video from the option, I guess it is looking for MPG files or similar.

There are many other issues with the User Interface that trouble me, but they don't come under the heading of my thread, which is specifically the management of storage so I won't go into details here.

All in all, really disappointing after having enjoyed the quality of the FVP1800T for many years I expected something much better from a newer Humax.

Anyone else have experiences to share ? Am I doing anything wrong ?

PhilipJ

Is this a problem with both USB ports? I've had the problem you describe with the side USB port being exceedingly slow. I tried to do a copy using the rear USB port (just above the network connection) and that seems to work at a more reasonable speed. If you haven't tried it, give it a try and see if it is faster. I think this is a known problem and solution but I'm not sure where I found it. (Anyone who knows - perhaps you could post the link :) )
Before I bought the unit I read a lot about how you could access files via the network connection, of course it didn't say that if you copy a file over that network connection then it is useless because it remains encrypted!!
You have to set the 5000T Network Server on and then find a way of tapping into the DLNA information from your computer. Even then you can only access (and decrypt) StdDef programmes. Faster than USB.

Hey EEphil,
yes I am using the side USB socket, I will try the rear socket as you advise.

I have set the various Server options to on but I'm not sure what "DLNA" is; I will go and read up a bit more on Google, I'm not really a network expert!!

Thanks for the advice

PhilipJ

Futher to my last reply, I can confirm that I can browse the 500T folders from my PC through the network connection but if I copy a 'TS' file from it to my PC nothing can view or edit that file. I assume the decrypting only occurs when the copy is done on the 500T to the USB drive ?

Haven't tried the other USB socket yet as I'm still waiting for a Move process to finish.

3 x 1 hour programs; started the Move 7 hours ago and it's still going!!!!!!!!!!!! That is frankly ridiculous, and there's no option to abort it other than just switching the unit off.

PhilipJ

Futher to my last reply, I can confirm that I can browse the 500T folders from my PC through the network connection but if I copy a 'TS' file from it to my PC nothing can view or edit that file.
You say nothing can play it; what have you tried? I have just done a test transfer and I can play the test with Windows Media Player, Microsoft Films & TV and the open source VLC player. I can also play it with the free Mirillis Splash player but that needs the extension changing to mpg to get it to work. What extension do the files have when copied?

Last edited:
3 x 1 hour programs; started the Move 7 hours ago and it's still going!!!!!!!!!!!! That is frankly ridiculous, and there's no option to abort it other than just switching the unit off.
I thought that. But I'm sure there is a way to stop it.
If you know which recordings you've set to move (I don't think the Humax will tell you), go back into recordings. Find the recording that is being moved/copied and press OK to give the listing of the programme. Goto the date of the programme - presumably where you pressed + to start the move. If you press + now you should be able to stop the move.
stp.gif

Last edited:
but I'm not sure what "DLNA" is; I will go and read up a bit more on Google, I'm not really a network expert!!
I wasn't suggesting you try this - just pointing out that the advertising is not exactly telling an untruth. (Eh?)
Regarding Martin's post (#8) - I assume Martin transferred the file using the Samba server wotnot. If PhilipJ used ftp that might explain the inabilty to play the files. (I can't test Samba as it doesn't play nicely with my PC)

Regarding Martin's post (#8) - I assume Martin transferred the file using the Samba server wotnot. If PhilipJ used ftp that might explain the inabilty to play the files. (I can't test Samba as it doesn't play nicely with my PC)
As I have said many times, it certainly isn't pure Samba. What version of Windows does your PC use?

I thought that. But I'm sure there is a way to stop it.
If you know which recodings you've set to move (I don't think the Humax will tell you), go back into recordings. Find the recording that is being moved/copied and press OK to give the listing of the programme. Goto the date of the programme - presumably where you pressed + to start the move. If you press + now you should be able to stop the move.
View attachment 4768
Yes, sorry I was wrong. I looked again and found the "Stop Moving" command in the '+' menu.

And you are quite right, the rear USB socket is much faster than the side one, it would be nice if Humax could solve that problem!! The side socket is, in my opinion, no use what so ever the way it is.

PhilipJ

You say nothing can play it; what have you tried? I have just done a test transfer and I can play the test with Windows Media Player, Microsoft Films & TV and the open source VLC player. I can also play it with the free Mirillis Splash player but that needs the extension changing to mpg to get it to work. What extension do the files have when copied?

Hi Martin, I tried using Windows Media Player, VLC media player, AVS audio converter... I guess it is in the copy process as I seem to recall Humax saying that it is when the Humax unit copies the recording to USB that it is decrypted.

How did you copy the file ? Is is a PC or a Mac you are using ? What OS ?

regards
PhilipJ

I wondered if the side socket was a really old USB standard. I've a vague recollection that when you update the firmware you have to use the side socket, not the back one (not sure how relevant that might be). However, I've managed to play HiDef video from a USB disk connected to the side socket. :confused:

What: USB1? That's an extremely retrograde step, even the HDR-FOX has two functional USB2 sockets.

What: USB1? That's an extremely retrograde step, even the HDR-FOX has two functional USB2 sockets.
That was my thought - but the ability to play HiDef suggests that thought was blx. There is something odd with the side socket - it is as though you can transfer from the device easily, and not to it.

Hi Martin, I tried using Windows Media Player, VLC media player, AVS audio converter... I guess it is in the copy process as I seem to recall Humax saying that it is when the Humax unit copies the recording to USB that it is decrypted.

You didn't answer my question about the file extension of the copied file?
How did you copy the file ? Is is a PC or a Mac you are using ? What OS ?
It is a PC running Windows 10 1909.

My procedure was in Windows Explorer click on my PC. In Network locations you should see "HUMAXFVP DMS" folowed by IP address.
Click on it, and select My Contents > Recordings this should then display a list of recordings. You can then copy and paste or drag and drop recordings as desired. A 575MB file transferred in 65 seconds. They transferred recordings have a .mpeg extension ( they will have been a .ts whilst on the Humax).

You didn't answer my question about the file extension of the copied file?

It is a PC running Windows 10 1909.

My procedure was in Windows Explorer click on my PC. In Network locations you should see "HUMAXFVP DMS" folowed by IP address.
Click on it, and select My Contents > Recordings this should then display a list of recordings. You can then copy and paste or drag and drop recordings as desired. A 575MB file transferred in 65 seconds. They transferred recordings have a .mpeg extension ( they will have been a .ts whilst on the Humax).
Thanks for that.
I'm on Windows 7 and it appears to be different.
If I click on the device you name, it only offers me "open in Media Player" but now I know the general principle I shall explore.

regards
PhilipJ

Back