[portal-xtra1] Custom TV Portal Alternative

You didn't install the WebIF on your PC - you used the PC to access and control the custom firmware/software on the Humax. The JavaScript file will be found somewhere in the /mod directory, and you can use the WebIF edit window (diagnostics page) to view and modify it.

Yes, it's a good looking plugin that. I think the idea is that it may eventually be offered as an alternative custom portal. I like the minimalist look and the fact that if you launch it and press 0, you just get a clock at the bottom right - something I really miss from my last Sony TV. The BBC news ticker is funky too (although just off the bottom on my TV with overscan disabled).

Spayz did email me some "blurb for the Wiki"
Your correspondent claims that USB keyboards will work on the portal. This is not my experience. Having got fed up with the onscreen keyboard for example, when entering the name of a programme with a USB keyboard, the only keys that worked were cursor keys and return. The on screen keyboard remained on screen when it is surely redundant. What am I doing wrong?

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. A USB keyboard will only work with apps that are designed to "listen" for its key presses.

It is reported that USB keyboards "CAN" work with apps in the portal, but only if the app in question is designed to work with a USB keyboard.

At the moment, there is nothing the regular user can use a USB keyboard for.

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. A USB keyboard will only work with apps that are designed to "listen" for its key presses.

It is reported that USB keyboards "CAN" work with apps in the portal, but only if the app in question is designed to work with a USB keyboard.

At the moment, there is nothing the regular user can use a USB keyboard for.
Thanks for the info. I have only just got my Hummy but am impressed, not just with the machine but the forum and all the developers.

Further on keyboards -
I have used an RF keyboard with no problems. Just plugged the dongle into the USB socket and away it went.

Been away for a while. Reading through above about the new version of portal xtra, it looks like the ability to add custom web links has been added. I had done this by manually editing the jim scripts before, but obviously these have been reverted to the newer version of the files from the repository.

Before I go editing them again, is there an 'official' way of doing this now?

If not can somebody explain to me where the portal xtra files have moved to as since it became a replacement for the original portal the file structure seems to have altered

James

Its all in one javascript file now in /mod/var/mongoose/html/portal/Portal.js

Search for "function redKeys" and you should be able to figure it out ;). The button labels are under "function clickRed"
The same goes for Green, Yellow & Blue.

Thank

Could not quite find that file, but I presume that /mod/var/mongoose/html/portal/js/portal.js is the one i need on the HD

James

a couple of questions

where does the sky portal store its streamed file on the humax?
(i.e. can I copy it over using ftp the same as I can the BBC one)

is there any benefit in using one of the sky portal versions listed in the menu over the other?

thanks

I don't know that the Sky Player buffers anything at all - the HD-FOX doesn't buffer iPlayer and it still plays perfectly OK.

Not sure if it's new or not but with the old firmware Twitter and Facebook would fail to load but they both seem to work now.

Just bought myself a foscam ip camera to use with the portal :)

EDIT - Just tried entering settings for the webcam and got the following error.

Runtime Error: update.jim:18: /mod/var/mongoose/portal/plugin/foscam/settings: No such file or directory at file "update.jim", line 18

I'll update the foscam package later - I think it's failing because the portal-xtra1 package forcibly removes the convenience links that the web interface used : (

Back