[portal-xtra1] Custom TV Portal Alternative

Yep lol included it for comedy value haha
I loaded it up in front of the mrs and she gave me the strangest look haha

Thanks for quick turn around af :cool:

For everyone wondering which of the new apps are worth more than 10 seconds of your time, Metro is quite good - reminds me of the old teletext a bit. Daily Express is ok, but slow. iVid has good game trailers on it, but its mostly italian.
The DDay tech news site would be good too if that were in english..lol

Good one Chris,
As I have mentioned before - just been very busy at the day job...
Don't know when I will get back to any of this, despite a dozen good ideas floating around in my head...
...sorry... keep up the good work everyone

Evening! I'm fairly new to the whole customised thing, so go easy with me..! However, most things are installed happily, and I have remopte schedule working, and shares set up to copy across to the PC. I have now installed the xtra1 portal, anhd have two problems. I can't seem to play an internet radio station - as soon as I select one, it restarts the box instead. I then tried to uninstall the package, and the original tv portal wouldn't work at all. It gives an error saying unable to connect to local host (I can't recall the precise message) and then when I try again, the box freezes until I power off.

Any thoughts? I can't find any other reports of this! running custom firmware 2.11 and xtra 1.12

The Internet radio problem is a known bug in the Humax software which they introduced in 1.02.28 - I've read somewhere that they are working on a fix.

When removing the portal you need to reboot the box before the original portal will work again. That's because the Humax keeps the portal browser in memory and you need to cause it to restart to pick up the original settings.

thanks af - looking forward to drowning out next door with some cheesy absolute 80s... I'll try an uninstall tomorrow just to check - i thought i rebooted but probably forgot!

Dave, internet radio is now absent from the official portal completely while humax fix it, so you won't be able to stream any 80's at all from there..

i noticed Chris - i meant i'll try an uninstall just to check that the uninstall worked (if that makes sense!) I've just managed to find the thread on the other site that talks about broken radio! I guess I'll have to use the sonos! I noticed you figured weeks for them to fix it - any news on the grapevine?!

Thats a good question.

I'm tempted to compare the .20 version of the humaxtv app to .28 in a hex editor and search for the term .mp3 to try and find an obvious fault.. but this work lark keeps me too busy.

Just moved over to this version of the custom portal - I'm impressed!

I'm also impressed by how slick Humax Sky Player is. I dont have Sky but am considering paying the Sky Go subscription - is it about £15 a month?

Think carefully before you commit to anything long term. The Sky access on the custom portal is through the back door, and could get switched off any time with no appeal.

Thanks for the heads up! I think the SkyGo only packages are all one month rolling contracts but I'll check. Just realised that if I wanted the sports channels it would be £35 a month anyway - might as well get sky!!!

If my raspberry Pi can run XBMC - what are the barriers to having something similar on the Hummy?
XMBC doesn't seem too much more intensive than iplayer or the SkyPlayer. Do the official hummy apps have access to system resources that "our" apps can't utilize?

I think you need to create a new thread for that question.
XBMC is an entire app rather than a web page (which is what the portal apps are).

It would need to be compiled for our kernel version and even then it probably wont work as it would need to interface with the broadcom chip to sort out networking, display & audio. Oh, and control from the remote. Its a non-starter really..

Just moved over to this version of the custom portal - I'm impressed!

I'm also impressed by how slick Humax Sky Player is. I dont have Sky but am considering paying the Sky Go subscription - is it about £15 a month?

Unfortunately Sky are still suffering from the DRM fetish.
Their online content is microsoft ASF/wmv encrypted so will not work off the box as all other content does.
Also the image quality is very poor (especially compared to the BBC's content) - perhaps because of said ASF encoding.

Also I tried to watch live Star Trek The Next Gen the other night and their service told me I couldnt because "Your equipment is not authorised to view this
content for legal reasons"
Which suggests an onward march towards hardware monopolisation to me. I've had this reported to me on a few occasions, but not often.
I would have thought manufacturers like Humax would be a bit upset by that sort of behaviour.

Back