portal-xtra1 dead project?

Erratic

This package doesn't work for me at all. I can select the 4 coloured menus but can't select anything on them at all.

Is there something I need to do to get this working? Or is it dead (atleast ATM)?

Check the wiki! You are trying to use a package that doesn't work with 1.03.xx firmware. Look at new-portal.

Even new-portal doesn't appear to have had any recent development and I uninstalled it since it didn't appear to add any value over the standard portal.

That's true. The portal packages were experiments with what we could do using the built-in web browser to access custom services, because it's the only way in we have to the TV screen. At one time there was a way for Sky subscribers to access Sky catch-up services, because "we" found development links on the Humax servers and exploited them - they have since been turned off. There was also a means to access a web cam and put that on screen through the portal.

One significant advantage of a custom portal is to provide direct access to the standard TV Portal apps without having to go via the Humax screen (avoiding the load time, and potentially bypassing server failures).

Back