Portals; 'which version'?

Starb7

Hi All

Have been looking thro' the site and studied the Custom WiKi. I was wondering if someone had done or knew of a page/site that actually explained what all the custom mods do and in particular the Portal. I am using v1.01 but have never been able to get onto Facebook (just get the usual user name or password wrong [they are not] message) and would like to get more into this.

Cheers

Starb

I can't help you with Facebook, and I don't see much point when there is no keyboard on the Humax. The only extra apps available through the custom portals are those which are on the Humax web site anyway but not on normal release - there used to be access to Sky player that way, but that is now defunct. The custom portals do provide a framework for experimentation, and a means to display IP camera output came out of it, and also more direct ways of getting to favourite apps (eg BBC iPlayer with three button presses).

The Humax web browser (that runs the TV Portal service) implementation changed with standard firmware version 1.03.xx, so the "old" custom portals such as portal-xtra1 must be uninstalled to avoid breaking it. new-portal on the other hand is written for 1.03.xx, and won't work on 1.02.xx firmware.

Hi All

I was wondering if someone had done or knew of a page/site that actually explained what all the custom mods do and in particular the Portal.
Most of the Custom Firmware packages are documented in the WiKi Notes HERE, the Custom TV Portals (both current and previous) are detailed on the WiKi HERE

I was wondering if someone had done or knew of a page/site that actually explained what all the custom mods do
There is this http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes

And then there is the forum links http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Forum_Links

... in particular the Portal. I am using v1.01 but have never been able to get onto Facebook (just get the usual user name or password wrong [they are not] message) and would like to get more into this.
According to the portal guid (accessible via the portal 'notes') the status of the Facebook app is "invalid location (seattle)".

Edit: Ezra types faster than me!

Hi Black Hole, so in essence there's not much point in having the custom portal then and Ezra Pound, thanks for links I have a read thro'. Cheers,Starb

It's just more pretty but it would be good if someone did develop the in progress apps. Think, af123, I assume, developed the shell for the new portal and hopes that someone will raise to the challenge of producing the apps to go in the place markers e.g. ITV etc. But it seems we are no closer.

It was McQuaim who was developing the new portal, but he ran up against some problems that, to date, no one has been able to overcome.

I was hoping that some one was going to give him a hot tip like going to the university help desk with worked examples...

We're still looking into it.
The main stumbling block for info, is rmtp which is required by majority of commercial broadcasters OD players.
Rmtp is supported by Adobe flash, but flash is not available to us on this box.
We could really do with more expertise in this area!

Personally, I am looking at live streaming channels through HLS m3u8 playlists.

As there are only two of us looking into these things, and we both have full time jobs, our time is very limited.

Do we know how to talk to the bbc iPlayer?
Is there a spec or something I could read - I'd be starting from
first principles but initially I'm curious. I'm not interested in the other sites
so something specific to the iPlayer would be best.

Why do you want to talk to iPlayer Jack?

The iPlayer app already exists on our portal, so i'm confused with what you are trying to accomplish..

I think you'll be hard pushed to find a service these days that doesn't collect some form of data on you.
They are not the NSA though. It's only so they know what services are used and what is not.
If you are that paranoid, then don't even go on the internet.

Perhaps someone can tell me where the internet radio favourites are stored since this is germane at this point. I reckon they are held on the Humax servers rather than the box and the cookie in the box tells the servers to go fetch your favourites and write them to screen ?. I did ask the Q since I wanted to copy them between boxes. Ditto I suspect the BBC iplayer favourites and last played are held centrally at the BBC or at Humax but I may be wrong.

I think its about time we all did BH
The way I see it: I either accept the T&Cs and use the service, or I penalise myself compared with the vast majority who will just accept the T&Cs without question. We are protected from unfair T&Cs by the unfair contracts laws, so I don't worry about it. It seems very unlikely that even the NSA are going to be interested in which programmes I play through iPlayer, and as far as I know no traffic has been detected with the Humax "phoning home" to report anything else.

If somebody decided to hide a clause allowing them to charge a fee, first they would have to get hold of my credit card number.

I dont mind the NSA collecting data on me . I know what they use it for.
I do mind Humax doing so - I also know what they do with it and that is neither necessary nor acceptable.

We are protected from unfair T&Cs by the unfair contracts laws, so I don't worry about it. It seems very unlikely that even the NSA are going to be interested in which programmes I play through iPlayer, and as far as I know no traffic has been detected with the Humax "phoning home" to report anything else.

If somebody decided to hide a clause allowing them to charge a fee, first they would have to get hold of my credit card number.

Recent evidence prooves that the NSA and in the UK GCHQ are VERY interested in what games you play.
Unfair protection? Seriously? Oh dear. OK I'll try just this once:

Since the T&C allows them to legally collect any info they like through your humax box - they have access to everything you do with it - a listing of everything you plug into it and full access to any home network you connect to it - they already have your credit card number because they have the right to do what they like based on the t&c you already accepted. You will notice they also lay claim to be able to do what they
like with any information they gather. And you agreed to that. Anything they like. Think about it.

Try reading it from the point of view of someone who actively wants the right to download your whole home network to rip you off or do other unpleasant things.
Now - I'm not suggest for a second that Humax would even allow that but someone could and maybe even by working through them - it wouldnt be the first time:
The T&C's being routinely agreed to and universally used allow them to do so quite legally. You then have no actual comeback. None.
The problem with the UK is people think they have all sorts of rights and protections that don't actually exist when legal push comes to shove.
If you dont believe me go ask the people flooded out the last time that still havn't had a penny in insurance - never mind the current victims of this year.

The information you dont think important is probably the information that can be used most effectively against you. The world is changing faster
each day. We already live in a country that is persecuting the crippled and dissabled - in more than one case to death - that is a process that
is accelerating - do you think that's fair? If not what happened to the "fair" protection for them?

But anything for a quiet life.
People never learn.

It sounds like you would benefit from having Wireshark permanently connected to your LAN, after you have thoroughly Virus checked it of course. Please keep us informed of any contacts with the outside world that your Humax makes.

Back