Possible bug in new firmware crashing my HDR?

Andy Fox

I don't know if I've found a bug in the new 1.03.12 release or whether it's something that only affects my HDR.

I've had the box for over 3 years and it has never, ever crashed. I was running 1.02.32 (not custom) firmware until a few weeks ago when the OTA update (that was pulled) 'upgraded' it. I immediately noticed the slow EPG, and after a couple of days it was driving me crazy so I put it back to 1.02.32.

I know many people don't find the slow EPG is a big problem, but I use the box as the main tuner for the TV so the EPG is in use a lot more than if it was only used for recording programmes. I chose the Humax originally because it had the best EPG I could find, and I don't see why anything should be made worse by an update to the firmware unless it was the only way to improve some other features. I don't use the portal much so I'm happy to run on the older firmware. (BTW, clearing out the dead scheduled recordings made no difference to the EPG speed).

So, all was fine until the OTA update last week. I decided to put up with the slow EPG until the current OTA updates are finished next week, then put it back to 'normal' after that.

Then, last week while using the EPG to 'channel surf', the box crashed and rebooted. I put it down to a freak event since the HDR had been on for several hours before with no problems and continued for several hours after with no problems as well. However, the next day it crashed again while using the EPG. I tried to remember the exact button sequence, and with a bit of trial and error I found I could get it to crash every time. I tried a power down with the switch on the back, and again got it to crash three more times in a row using the same key presses. At that point I put the firmware back to 1.02.32, tried again and couldn't get it to crash at all. It has not been connected to network for about three weeks as I had to use the network adapter for something else for a while, so no DLNA issues there.

I decided to let it update again on this week's OTA just to prove it was that which caused it, and sure enough it went back to crashing every time I used the magic key sequence. Rolled back to 1.02.32 and it's OK again.

I've set a reminder to stop it updating again, so I am happy now, but I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem?

The key sequence was:
Guide, step to channel 47, OK (guide still displayed), Exit (program now full screen), Program Down to channel 12 (the next channel down on my favourites). I notice that channels 12 and 47 are on different muxes, so that may be relevant.

It either crashes straight away, or after waiting up to 30 seconds, but always crashes.
I didn't try testing any further, as each time it crashes my nerves are on edge waiting to see if it is going to recover!

Maybe the new firmware doesn't like my particular box, or maybe there are other HDRs out there waiting to crash but haven't been subjected to the right key sequence...

Sorry. I can't get it to crash. I have two boxes and tried the sequence you suggested on both. No crash on either.

No crash for me either.

It could still be a dnla issue even though it's not hooked up. If the dnla database has gone corrupt, it may cause a crash.

I would try a factory reset.

I've had my first crash ever this week also since the 1.03.12 upgrade, the box locked up completely and I had to reboot.... Could be related or not lol...

Mine just crashed after keying the above :).... Its been rebooting for weeks and I have just come here to find out whats going on

I am running the latest version with the Feb build of the Normal Software and the very latest version of the Custom Software, It has done it before today using the 'previous' version of the CF but as I dont really use the Hummy as my Number one bit of Kit I had not really noticed how often it was doing it.

FYI, I used the Custom Software to unload it (The Custom Software that is), I followed the Instructions, Rebooted the device and expected the CF to be gone and me have a 'Vanilla' install, to test this i thought I would use the TV Portal as I had used a custom version. When I pressed it I had the WEBIF menu ?

So I browsed onto the Hummy using my PC and downloaded the full web wotsit and all the other packages....

Result = So far no Reboots ?

FYI, I used the Custom Software to unload it (The Custom Software that is), I followed the Instructions, Rebooted the device and expected the CF to be gone and me have a 'Vanilla' install, to test this i thought I would use the TV Portal as I had used a custom version. When I pressed it I had the WEBIF menu ?
You do not get a vanilla install until you remove the removable parts of the CF ("RMA Mode") and then install a standard firmware to overwrite the parts that cannot be removed.

Back