Power issues

What, no come-back ?, I am surprised
It looked like you had the last word. As you appear to be against the ants' nest mentality that it is suggested has pervaded this forum (and I am not choosing either side in that debate) I'm surprised that you are now poking the nest with a stick. :)

CBA

In any case, it appears the OP is unwilling to either acknowledge my analysis or demonstrate where it is in error.

All these people agreeing that newcomers are liars. Nice. I have decided not to post again in your forum. Well done. Another successful rejection of outside influence. I repeat that my description was correct and didn't take 40 years to study, it was tested fairly thoroughly and was intended to be helpful to anyone who encountered the same problem that I have here. You lot... well... take a look at yourselves. Bye bye. Moderator, you can delete my account when you get all nancy and fluffy.

Directly from your own posts:
Sometimes the power required by the desktop hard disk the HDR-T2 ships with is too much for the motherboard or something and the unit enters a loop where it reboots automatically the instant the hard drive is told to spin up.
I didn't say the motherboard can't handle the drive it ships with.
You contradicted yourself, so what do you expect?

For the record, "hazfiend" has been signed up to the forum for a couple of years, but the posts in this thread are the only ones he's made. We have no experience of the veracity of his writing (assume no gender - I'm using masculine merely as a place holder), and yet he expects to be taken at face value even when the claims are muddled and contrary to common experience, and then goes off in a huff when those with a great deal more experience and forum history set out to examine those claims and refine them into new knowledge. This is a normal process on a technical forum, or indeed in any scientific community.

I have also previously likened the forum to the local pub: we are an established community, used to each other's foibles and follies, and on the whole the chatter is erudite and well mannered. And then somebody new turns up and expects to be immediately accepted into the crowd as if they had been here forever. That is not to say we won't accept someone new - it's just that they need to integrate gradually and expect it to be a slow process.

You lot... well... take a look at yourselves. Bye bye. Moderator, you can delete my account when you get all nancy and fluffy.
We do look at ourselves, all the time. We've spent seven years knocking the edges off each other, and now you don't like having your edges knocked off. Well, sorry for you. For my money, your account stays with all its posts, otherwise the record is lost. If you choose to disable all forum messaging and then "lose" your password, that is entirely up to you.

(Not that hazfiend is reading this anyway)

For the record, "hazfiend" has been signed up to the forum for a couple of years, but the posts in this thread are the only ones he's made. We have no experience of the veracity of his writing
Given his reaction to the robust handling of his information I suspect he hasn't done much reading of the forum in this time either. I can understand some complete newbies to the forum finding their introduction less welcoming than they'd expected, but not a 'mature' lurker.

That said it is unfortunate, though I agree with BH that the symptoms and proposed diagnosis don't fit with general experience.
I wonder if this is an 'infection' fault: eg. One part of the system goes part faulty and damages a related part which fails; latter part is replaced and new part also fails to work, and is damaged. Failed parts are then tested with a new one of the original, undiagnosed, faulty part but then damage that in turn. It may be a stretch in this case, but ...

It may be a stretch in this case, but ...
It may have been the case that was being stretched. We could surmise from the initial few posts and the reaction to examination that he had dug a hole and couldn't find a way to stop:
All these people agreeing that newcomers are liars.
Typical paranoia, particularly if somebody is trying to cover their having stretched the truth. As far as I can see, nobody called him a liar - we merely pointed out the defects in his argument (case) and asked for corroborating evidence in the form of a more detailed submission.

I don't know; I haven't seen them.

I was unconvinced by the theory that a healthy HDR-FOX T2 power supply can't spin up a 3.5" hard drive; I have never seen it happen and I don't recollect it being commonly reported. Do you believe it?

3.5" failing to spin up and 2,5" succeeding could be down to a power supply that is below par but I agree there could be other explanations.

I would certainly believe that a 3.5" drive could pull the power supply down to a point where the hummy fails to boot, especially if it is an older drive. More modern drives do appear to have lower power consumption, despite the higher spindle speeds and greater capacities.

But you also talk about a "healthy" hummy, and I suspect that many of the machines around now will not fall into that description. I suspect that many of them have dried out electrolytic capacitors on the power supply, and to some extent also on the main board. This could certainly affect the booting of a machine if the power supply is on the edge because of age of its electrolytics, and i beleive this is also the cause of hummys locking up spontaneously. I have such a machine that got to a point where it crashed so often I got another one, and this one sits on my bench until I can find time to set to with an oscilloscope and see if I can get to the bottom of the problem. My primary suspicion is power supply capacitors, but I have a couple of other suspicions as well that I need to look at.

Reviewing this thread several years on, it does indeed sound like another case of the, now well-known, Newcoppiceman capacitor problem in the 12V power supply switching circuit to the disk, which is why putting a 2.5" drive in appeared to fix it (really worked around it by this drive not using that 12V line).
It is not PSU board fault though, as the capacitor is on the motherboard.

Back