"Press OK to view HD" has gone

8bit

First time poster so please be gentle :)

We got a HDR Fox-T2 recently, very happy with it. For some reason, when I first set it up it would offer the option of switching to the Freeview HD channels when the SD equivalent channel was selected. This no longer happens.

I did retune the box a few days after I installed it, had to use a cheap co-ax cable to start with until I could make a decent one up. I didn't find the signal was poor beforehand but re-tuned anyway to see if I got any more channels. That's about the only thing that's changed since I set it up. The box has firmware dated 9th (I think) of January, 1.02.32 rings a bell.

I may have this wrong but I seem to remember reading a review of this unit that said if I scheduled a programme for recording on an SD channel when there was an HD alternative that it would also offer the HD alternative at this point but that isn't happening either - maybe that's related to the same problem?

Thanks in advance,

It sounds like your box retune has managed not to detect the HD mux.
I would suggest you add it manually, remembering to set the "Transmission" parameter to DVB-T2.
It helps if you know what channel number you are looking for. If you don't know, you can either use trial and error or look up the details for whatever your local transmitter is.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I should have said in my first post, the HD channels were detected and are viewable - just that i have to select them manually from the EPG now. I no longer get the message when selecting the SD equivalent that says "Press OK to watch in HD" or whatever it says.

I will try a manual retune later on and see what options I get there.

This only happens on the BBC channels. The other broadcasters do not send the necessary info. for this to appear on their channels.

when I first set it up it would offer the option of switching to the Freeview HD channels when the SD equivalent channel was selected. This no longer happens.
Do you have duplicate channels present on your Humax Box? i.e. channels that are numbered between 800 and 899?. If you do, you need to remove them, Details HERE

With regard to tuning HD channels. I'm sure its dealt with in the manual, (but how many of us spend time doing that when we have a new bit of kit to play with), its easy to overlook changing the Transmission parameter to DVB-T2. I know I did, when doing a manual tune, and it was purely a case of "I'll try changing that", before I saw HD stations on the list.

Do you have duplicate channels present on your Humax Box? i.e. channels that are numbered between 800 and 899?. If you do, you need to remove them

No, there were no channels numbered in that range.

I did a manual re-tune, noting down each of the mux numbers for my area and scanning each one in turn. I now have the "Press OK to watch in HD" message on the BBC channels again. I could have sworn that ITV and Channel 4 showed this as well, guess I was wrong.

One thing occurred to me - could I re-order the channels so that the first four in the EPG are the HD channels instead of the SD ones? Am I right in thinking that there's no difference in the schedules between the HD and SD channels any more?

One thing occurred to me - could I re-order the channels so that the first four in the EPG are the HD channels instead of the SD ones? Am I right in thinking that there's no difference in the schedules between the HD and SD channels any more?
You don't need the Custom Firmware to do this, you can do it with the normal Humax Firmware by setting up a Favourites list, and then moving the channels into any order you wish, here is a my favourite called MY-TV :-

my-tv.jpg
Am I right in thinking that there's no difference in the schedules between the HD and SD channels any more?
There are some differences, e.g. BBC1 has local news (at 1:30pm, 6:30pm and 10:30pm on weekdays). BBC1HD don't show these programs

True, but favourites bring their own problems. Renumbering means you can assign any service to any number you wish, and that will apply across all functions (including selecting a service by entering the number directly). If you want to press button 1 and get BBC ONE HD, renumbering is the only way to do it.

Be aware that BBC ONE HD does not carry regional programmes at present.

True, but favourites bring their own problems.
The only problem I'm aware of is that they have a reported tendency to not stick, in that you can find that you are no longer in the favourites list following certain operations. The increasingly badly named CFW package poweron-channel helps there as it can reinstate a favourites group on each boot.

Renumbering used to cause problems with RS but I believe that to be fixed now.

Both are viable solutions but if you want the HD channels on the SD channel numbers you need to use renumber.

As stated. If you don't agree, just say you don't agree - no need for snide insinuations.
You was answering a question for the OP on re-ordering, not re-numbering, so I was just wondering what problems you could see with Favourites Lists, as for 'snide insinuations', it sounds a bit like paranoia to me

Back