Press Red Dog

Bobdisk

My Hummy HDR has started leaving the "Press Red" dog (I think that is what that logo might be called!) in the top right of the screen permanently after I change channels, and at switch on. I have to press the green button to get rid of it. This is when it is not connected to the internet. It used to go after about 30 seconds, like the "press red for BBC iPlayer" dog (on a BBC channel) still does when the internet is connected. I have looked in the normal and hidden menus, but there is nothing related to it in either. Anyone else had this annoying habit, and cured it?

My Hummy HDR has started leaving the "Press Red" dog (I think that is what that logo might be called!) in the top right of the screen permanently after I change channels, and at switch on. I have to press the green button to get rid of it. This is when it is not connected to the internet. It used to go after about 30 seconds, like the "press red for BBC iPlayer" dog (on a BBC channel) still does when the internet is connected. I have looked in the normal and hidden menus, but there is nothing related to it in either. Anyone else had this annoying habit, and cured it?
I am having the same problem
I used to get the same on freeview then switched to freesat & it disapeared after a few seconds. It is realy annoying & lots of people complain to the BBC only to be told to press the green button. I dont want to see it. perhaps Humax can update their software to put a timer on it to make it disapear?

Has it just started to do it in the last couple of days? I will ask Humax to see if they have any ideas, but I doubt it. It is put there by the broadcaster to inform the viewer of what they call an "important :mad:" service. Now the Hummy does it on everything. I will ask around to see if others are aflicted. Freeview has always put up this dog on news programmes, sometimes several times for different articles, and some documentaries, but not usually on dramas or other entertainment genres (is that spelt right?) Friends are astonished when I tell them to press the green to get rid of it.

I checked this last night and it was still timing out after 30 seconds on my Foxsat HDR as it has always done since they last fiddled with it some months back. My Samsung TV has never timed out and I have interactive services turned off on my Freeview PVRs so never see it there in the first place.

But as some people with other kit have also reported this new behaviour in the last couple of days then it does appear that something has changed at the BBC end but why it should affect supposedly identical equipment differently is curious.

I sent an email to Humax this afternoon, and recieved this very swift reply:
Dear Sir
This is a problem at Freesat’s end and it should be fixed shortly.
Many Thanks
Adam Smith
Humax Customer Support
Tel: 0844 669 8800
Fax: 0203 014 5353

Thanks Adam, (if you are on this forum!!) So we should see a cure soon, I will wait!

So why does it still timeout on my Foxsat HDR?

Because they have fixed it now!! Mine has now started to time out, this was at about 22:00 last night. It takes about 30 secs to go. Hopefully eveyone will now be the same.

But it was timing out on my box while other people were saying it was not doing so on their box. Over on DS someone suggested that it only affected thoses boxes not connected to the internet and that seems to have been the case with the one person who tested it. Now that being so, it suggests that part of the problem is a bug in the Humax firmware which was triggered by whatever the BBC did at their end.

I dont know why yours continued to time-out while most others I know of didnt, but you are right about internet connection. While mine left the press red dog on the screen permanently when not internetted, the "press red for BBC i player" (replaces simple "press red") did time out when internetted. The reason is (my theory) that when not internetted, the red button function directs it to the off air interactive service from the satellite, rather like Freeview. When it is internetted, the red button function is directed to the internet based service, so it takes no notice of anything coming from the satellite, every interactive service now comes from the internet. Anyway, its all theory now as Freesat have sorted it, and it works ok.

Yep mine appears to be working OK now & is timing out including on the Kitchen tv with freeview.
perhaps all the complaining to the BBC as well helps. We changed over this week as well so perhaps that was something to do with it. who knows I am just glad it goes, it made me angry:( very angry:mad:

Back