Problem connecting to Humax Portal

royboy

Hi just signed in. Read a lot about dongles, which are good, which are bad etc. But I need to know whether they are better for picture quality and reliability over the powerline adapters that Humax are also advertising? Just had HDR-FOX T2 delivered, its not out of it's box yet. Job for tomorrow.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Get the right WiFi dongle, and you have a cheap and easy connection to your home WiFi network (as long as your WiFi password is short enough to enter at the Humax configuation screen before it times out, and doesn't contain any characters not supported on the virtual keyboard - as I know to my cost!). The wrong one just won't work.

Power line adapters (I would go for AV200 spec) provide an interference-free point-to-point Ethernet connection - no contention with other near-by WiFi networks, not constrained by WiFi reception, no set-up requred - but a more expensive option.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Get the right WiFi dongle, and you have a cheap and easy connection to your home WiFi network (as long as your WiFi password is short enough to enter at the Humax configuation screen before it times out, and doesn't contain any characters not supported on the virtual keyboard - as I know to my cost!). The wrong one just won't work.

Power line adapters (I would go for AV200 spec) provide an interference-free point-to-point Ethernet connection - no contention with other near-by WiFi networks, not constrained by WiFi reception, no set-up requred - but a more expensive option.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Hi bought edimax EW-7711usn set up the wifi connection on the HDR fox t2 ok, password etc, it shows on the screen that the connection is made with a strength of 54mbps? When I select tv portal it loads then displays "humax stb only". Ive tried the front usb connector, that is the same.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. My broadband connection is with Virgin cable through their module which is connected to my computer, my Netgear wifi module is connected to the Virgin module as well. I have no problems with my smart phone connecting to the Netgear and using the web. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. My broadband connection is with Virgin cable through their module which is connected to my computer, my Netgear wifi module is connected to the Virgin module as well. I have no problems with my smart phone connecting to the Netgear and using the web. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This sounds like a network problem rather than a Humax problem. Could you state the make and model numbers of the various "modules" you have described so that we can understand the setup?

Has this box been connected to the modem by any other means?
No.
Has this box been connected to the modem by any other means?
This sounds like a network problem rather than a Humax problem. Could you state the make and model numbers of the various "modules" you have described so that we can understand the setup?

Hi Martin, the only info I can see on the Virgin modem is trade name Ambit model No. EO8Co13.00 The Negear 54G router is model No. WGR614. I have not run the edimax set up wizard as I thought this was pointless, as they ask for the dongle to be plugged into my computer?
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Regards.

You do not say you have updated the Humax firmware. I believe TV Portal only works if you have. It doesn't work 'out of the box'.
More details please.

You do not say you have updated the Humax firmware. I believe TV Portal only works if you have. It doesn't work 'out of the box'.
More details please.
Hi 4291,
Yes I carried out an automatic update before I configured the wifi connection. There was no updates shown for me to install.
Regards.

Not sure that works.
If you go to Menu/Settings/System/System Information, what Software Version is reported?
1.02.20 is the latest.

Edit: Corrected typo

More details please.

Hi 4291,
Tell me, because I'm an old git. I dont have to have the computer tuned into the web and iplayer on, for it to pick up from my humax box?
I'm clutching at straws now!
Regards.

Not sure that works.
If you go to Menu/Settings/System/System Information, what Software Version is reported?
1.20.20 is the latest.

Hi 4291,
It shows FHTCP1.02.20 Update 10/06/11
Ive got to go out now but I can pick you up on my phone, the replies will be a bit slower though.
Regards

No need. These can be seen on the TV. You need the Humax to be showing on the TV, any programme, then using the remote select Menu, then Settings > OK > System > OK > System Information. The Software Version is there.

Sorry our posts have crossed!

You are up to date. There is no need to have your computer running to use TV Portal and it may interfere with your WiFi dongle.
I am out of my comfort zone now.

My questions were just to determine whether your Humax could display TV Portal given a web connection. It should.

As MartinLiddle says a network problem. Can't help there I'm afraid.

When I select tv portal it loads then displays "humax stb only"

That message is coming from the remote portal website (Humax STB Only! - try going to https://www.humaxtvportal.com/ with a web browser and you'll see the same thing) which proves that your box is correctly connected to the Internet and able to reach the portal. The portal website doesn't think that your box is a Humax, either because of the Mac Address, System ID or the client certificate that it is presenting when negotiating encryption. Have you ever run an official Humax beta version of the firmware?

Is the computer connected to the Ambit modem by a USB cable or a network cable?

Hi Martin,
I've been out so just seen your message. The Ambit modem is not connected to the computer, it is connected to the Netgear router which is then connected to the computer. Both connections are with ethernet cables.

That message is coming from the remote portal website (Humax STB Only! - try going to https://www.humaxtvportal.com/ with a web browser and you'll see the same thing) which proves that your box is correctly connected to the Internet and able to reach the portal. The portal website doesn't think that your box is a Humax, either because of the Mac Address, System ID or the client certificate that it is presenting when negotiating encryption. Have you ever run an official Humax beta version of the firmware?

Hi af123,
No I have only just bought the box and set it up yesterday (26th). Today I tried setting up the dongle.

I've been out so just seen your message. The Ambit modem is not connected to the computer, it is connected to the Netgear router which is then connected to the computer. Both connections are with ethernet cables.
Good that is exactly as it should be and my previous thoughts about a network issue are wrong. As af123 has sagely pointed out, your box is getting as far as the portal but then is not recognised correctly. Could you list all the other items reported under System Information? This may well need Humax to help solve the problem.

Good that is exactly as it should be and my previous thoughts about a network issue are wrong. As af123 has sagely pointed out, your box is getting as far as the portal but then is not recognised correctly. Could you list all the other items reported under System Information? This may well need Humax to help solve the problem.

Hi Martin,
as requested. software version:- FHTCP1.02.20 loader version:- a9.30 System ID:- 9B9B.9B9B Update:- 10/06/11 Micom version:- 9.3 mac address:- DC:D3:21:17:FF:CC . Hope this means something to you as its over my head.
Regards.

Back