Problem downloading videos to my computer after upgrading my HDR Fox T2

Phoenix42

I have the 1TB version of the HDR Fox T2 which I've used for several years with the custom firmware.
Something got corrupted, presumably in the firmware - I don't know what or why but I couldn't programme any recordings.
So I downloaded and installed the latest custom firmware.
After the upgrade I didn't get the "Download and install the full web interface" box, so I went to the Humax website, downloaded the official firmware and got it up and running, I then updated the box to the latest custom firmware again.
This time "Download and install the full web interface" box appeared and everything seemed to go according to plan.
However, there's one problem.
Before I started all this, if I went to the Media tab, selected a recording, clicked on OPT+ and selected Download, the file would download to my Windows 10 computer with a name like 3056.TS. It was always a 4 digit number which increased with each recording. I download the files via a wired network connection and I've set the recorder to have a fixed IP address.
My video editing software (Womble) could read these files without any problems, so I assume they were in a standard MPG TS format.
Now if select a recording, click on OPT+ and select Download the file being downloaded has the same name format as in the media list - I made a test recording and the file name in the media list is Ski Sunday_20210110_1814.ts. The downloaded file has the same name.
These files won't load into Womble - It says they're not in the the correct format.
What am I doing wrong?
Am I missing a package to decode the files and if so which?
What else do I need to do to repair the system?
This forum seems to have a lot of experts as members so I'm hoping that one of you can help me to get my recorder fully up and running again.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Last edited:
Some further information in case this helps you to work out what's happening.
I have the following packages installed

anacron
at
auto-unprotect
busybox
bzip2
ca-bundle
cifs
cron-daemon
dbupdate
e2fsprogs
epg
ffmpeg
file
fuse
hmt
hwctl
id3v2
inotify-tools
ir
jim
jim-binary
jim-cgi
jim-oo
jim-pack
jim-sqlite3
jim-xconv
lamemp3
libpcre
libreadline
libxconv
lighttpd
lsof
mongoose
multienv
ncurses
nfs-utils
nicesplice
ntfs-3g
nugget
openssl
openssl-command
portmap
procps
recmon
rsvsync
samba
service-control
smartmontools
sqlite3
ssmtp
stripts
swapper
tcpfix
tcpping
tmenu
trm
tweak
virtual-disk2
webif
webif-channelicons
webif-charts
wget
wireless-tools
zip

Do I need to uninstall any of the above packages or install other packages?

The Diagnostics tab has the following info

Web interface version: 1.4.8-8
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
Loader Version: a7.34

This is all rather involved, and if you had come to us before we might have been able to fix your problem without these knee-jerk reactions.

I couldn't programme any recordings.
What does this mean, exactly? Couldn't set up recordings using the normal TV screen process, or specifically using the WebIF? If with the WebIf, was that the only thing not working or was the whole WebIF not available? It doesn't matter really, the problem has moved on - but people will be interested.

After the upgrade I didn't get the "Download and install the full web interface" box
You wouldn't. Just reinstalling the firmware download does nothing to remove the elements from HDD, so they were still there and didn't need reinstalling. There are other ways to do that, if it was necessary at all.

What you don't seem to realise is that the CF you apply from a UPD is only a small modification to the standard firmware which allows us to run our own code - which is then mainly downloaded to and executed from the HDD. The "full web interface" (ie WebIF) is downloaded to HDD, and is a control panel which then permits you to download further software elements in the form of packages, according to your requirements. All of that is on HDD, and remains there unless you do something to remove it.

(Some other things get stored in Flash, but only when absolutely necessary for their function because there isn't much room.)

so I went to the Humax website, downloaded the official firmware and got it up and running, I then updated the box to the latest custom firmware again.
This time "Download and install the full web interface" box appeared and everything seemed to go according to plan.
I don't see why that would be - again, the software remained on the HDD and should have been detected.

Before I started all this, if I went to the Media tab, selected a recording, clicked on OPT+ and selected Download, the file would download to my Windows 10 computer with a name like 3056.TS.
That means you were not decrypting recordings by routine, and were instead relying on them being decrypted during the download.

Now if select a recording, click on OPT+ and select Download the file being downloaded has the same name format as in the media list - I made a test recording and the file name in the media list is Ski Sunday_20210110_1814.ts. The downloaded file has the same name.
That means they are not being decrypted during download - and obviously an encrypted recording is no use to man nor beast. I suspect you simply haven't set Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On, so that WebIF is doing a straight HTML download instead of using the DLNA server.

However, there are many ways to skin this particular cat, so you ought to acquaint yourself with the subject: Decryption Guide (click). Hitherto, you appear to have been using Method 4.

I have the following packages installed
Please also acquaint yourself with forum conventions. See Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click), particularly section "Code Listings and Terminal Output".

Last edited:
Hi Black Hole
Many thanks for your very fast and very helpful post.
The content share setting solved the problem and I can now download files in the correct format.
The Decryption guide makes interesting reading - Thanks for the link.
The problem with not being able to record programmes was that I could schedule the recordings successfully and after the restart the programmes were listed in the schedule, but nothing was recorded.
I'd assumed that something had been corrupted in the firmware.
It seems that I overestimated my abilities with getting the system running again.
I hope you have a peaceful, prosperous and safe 2021.
Cheers
Tony

The problem with not being able to record programmes was that I could schedule the recordings successfully and after the restart the programmes were listed in the schedule, but nothing was recorded.
OK, through the WebIF then. Sounds like something which could have been dealt with by a system flush.

For information: if you turn on Real Time Scheduling (WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Real-time scheduling = YES), you won't have to reboot each time you schedule through WebIF (but schedule restores from backup still require a reboot). With RTS there is a very slight risk of misoperation (we've not worked out exactly what causes it) in the form of "runaway recordings", but this is rare and I find it worth the slight risk to have instant scheduling through WebIF or RS.

The Decryption guide makes interesting reading - Thanks for the link.
You've clearly been using the CF for some time without ever posting on the forum, nor with a reasonable appreciation of what it does or how it does it. That's not a criticism - it takes all sorts - and it helps if we know there's a population of ghost users out there. So, what has been your modus operandum: suck it and see?

A great deal of what we know is the result of people coming on here to discuss problems, stock answers are the accumulated experience. Much of the development process is a consequence of providing solutions to problems.

If you are willing to read more, go through the links in the signature panel to this post.

Last edited:
Hi Black Hole

It’s true that I’ve been using the custom firmware for a while – I saw an article on the web ages ago which described how to download and set up the custom firmware. I followed the instructions and it worked, so until now there’s never been any need for me to post on the forum or investigate how it works in more detail. You don’t need to know how a TV works to be able to watch the news.

Thanks for the tip about the Real Time Scheduling – I’ll give it a try.

Cheers

Tony

I saw an article on the web ages ago which described how to download and set up the custom firmware.
Rip-off merchants. Anybody not linking back to this forum is implying credit where none is due. Do you happen to have the link? Did you download the CF from them or here?

You don’t need to know how a TV works to be able to watch the news.
I don't accept this is the same thing. Anyone choosing to bypass the security built into a product by the manufacturer (which is there to ensure the unit is not bricked by a corrupt firmware update file, or hacked by malevolent actors) ought to be fully aware of the potential consequences of their actions. Installing the CF is bypassing the security, by definition.

Suppose this was not a PVR but a home security camera: would you be so ready to download a hack for it, with the potential for the hack to expose views inside your home to the Internet? How about a self-driving car, where a hack could render safety-critical systems inoperative?

You don't have to know how a PVR works to use it as a PVR, but that assumes you buy it to use as-is and do not go fiddling with it. Unofficial mods are not to be taken lightly, and the articles on this forum make the risks clear. OK, the worst that could happen in this case is a bricked unit or having your TV preferences exposed to the world, but trusting the recommendation of one random unauthorised web page seems foolhardy.

On the forum, we are a community which has built up a level of trust in each other, with a track history of non-malevolent support. It would only take the publication of a deliberately (or accidentally) knobbled firmware download for some people's units to be bricked, and then the message would go out on the forum (nowhere else) to warn other members not to use it.

Last edited:
Hi
The article was called "How to Create a Network Accessible DVR for Your Home Server or NAS", by Terry Walsh dated 11th March 2014
The web address was
I just checked and the article is no longer available so I've attached a PDF copy (in two parts).
The article included the URL for this forum which is where I downloaded the firmware from.
I agree with your comments about security cameras, self driving cars and so on. However at the time I browsed around the forum before I installed the firmware and everything seemed legit. I thought the potential gains in functionality outweighed any risks.

Attachments

• Upgrading The Humax Fox T2 - Part 1.pdf
    720.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Upgrading The Humax Fox T2 - Part 2.pdf
    813.6 KB · Views: 6
Who the heck is Terry Walsh? Well, at least he linked to the proper resource.

However, I have to say I abhor this and I am pleased it is no longer available. It is plagiarism, but above all makes no mention of the risks a user is accepting.

Who the heck is Terry Walsh? Well, at least he linked to the proper resource.

However, I have to say I abhor this and I am pleased it is no longer available. It is plagiarism, but above all makes no mention of the risks a user is accepting.
Terry Walsh is the founder of We Got Served. He started the community in February 2007 with a mission to help families, tech enthusiasts everywhere figure out the technology needed to run the modern home and small business. He's the author of a number of guides to Windows, Windows Server and OS X Server and runs his own successful publishing business. Born and raised in Liverpool, England, Terry has been awarded Microsoft's prestigious Most Valuable Professional Award each year since 2008 for his work on We Got Served.

Back