Problem registering - emails blocked

jxp

I've been trying for a few days to register. I completed the form and got the "confirmation email sent" message. I waited and waited (and waited), but no email arrived. I clicked the resend email link. No email. I tried a different email address, still no email. I searched the wiki and the forum for information on this and found nothing. I tried the contact us form and still nothing.

Just now I added @hummy.tv to my safe senders list and clicked resend and... hurray! I got the email.

Perhaps you could add some text to the confirmation message and wiki that some email providers (mine is hotmail) may block the email and people should mark @hummy.tv as safe

Don't know if it is related but ZoneAlarm just flagged this site up as a potential phishing site. Told ZA not to be silly and it let me on.

Did you check your spam folder? Always check your spam folder when an expected email has not arrived in your inbox, and check it periodically anyway in case something has gone there by accident.

Yeah, I had checked my spam folder. There was nothing there. The emails had been completely blocked.

That's naughty. I don't think an email service should outright block incoming mail, in case it is legitimate. Get another email provider!

Hotmail probably rejects 'suspect' incoming E-Mails in retaliation for the many websites that won't allow you to register with a Hotmail Email account at all, they regard Hotmail as 'not a real E-Mail address' due to the fact they are not linked to U.K. ISP and are too easy to obtain / falsify, they are also riddled with spammers. As far as the U.K. user goes this makes Hotmail, quite often unusable.

I've been trying for a few days to register. I completed the form and got the "confirmation email sent" message. I waited and waited (and waited), but no email arrived. I clicked the resend email link. No email. I tried a different email address, still no email. I searched the wiki and the forum for information on this and found nothing. I tried the contact us form and still nothing.

Just now I added @hummy.tv to my safe senders list and clicked resend and... hurray! I got the email.

Perhaps you could add some text to the confirmation message and wiki that some email providers (mine is hotmail) may block the email and people should mark @hummy.tv as safe

Thanks JXP, this has doing my been doing my head in!

Hotmail probably rejects 'suspect' incoming E-Mails in retaliation for the many websites that won't allow you to register with a Hotmail Email account at all, they regard Hotmail as 'not a real E-Mail address' due to the fact they are not linked to U.K. ISP and are too easy to obtain / falsify, they are also riddled with spammers. As far as the U.K. user goes this makes Hotmail, quite often unusable.

A billion webmail users might disagree with hotmail/gmail not being "real" email accounts. I rarely use my ISP mail address, IMAP on Gmail is so much easier to use, and don't all (most?) ISPs also have webmail access to their accounts too? (Though sometimes only POP3, not IMAP.) Some large organizations have also outsourced their email to Google, though with a more secure login and control.

Thanks for the advice! I'd been assuming the problem was with this site rather than hotmail. Bit worrying that hotmail completely stops emails being delivered - it wasn't even going into my SPAM folder.

Back