Problem with channel re order

@notapom

By posting a series of sql statements in your original post you gave the impression of being an expert computer user!
Most users of this forum cant find there way to a command line without help let alone start issuing advanced commands.
Hence @prpr's incredulity that you didn't know how to find and copy the database file (the name is on the sqlite3 command line!)

If you had initially stated you were an inexperienced user blindly following a youtube video you might have been given more complete instructions

This was not helped by @Black Hole giving erroneous and potentially dangerous instructions to use the file editor to view the file, A database file is certainly not a plain text file and can be easily be damaged by a text editor. Hence the need for a data base viewer to view the contents and SQL to update it.

You have posted the output of the database viewer but to perform a proper analysis @prpr needs a copy of the actual data base file.

so you need to use ftp to copy an unmodified copy of /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db onto your computer
rename it to have a .zip or .txt suffix because, unfortunately, .db is not a supported file type for upload
post the resultant file

A database file is certainly not a plain text file
Isn't it? prpr's post seemed to imply that it is. If he was being sarcastic, that has added to the confusion...

Apologies, I see that it isn't. My suggestion could not have been damaging, because the file editor refuses to open it. The mystery is how the OP managed to post anything at all.

Last edited:
Oh yes, of course it is. Silly me. <smacks head>
That was more the "Yes Mr President, we'll urgently research the benefits of injecting disinfectants" response
My suggestion could not have been damaging
Only because the webif editor is actually smarter than most, many text editors will happily open and allow you to destroy binary files.
The mystery is how the OP managed to post anything at al
The webif diagnostics provides a data base viewer which can be useful for some problems which is what the OP posted but without the benefit of the tabular formatting and sorting it is not easy to use.

I apologise if I implied that I have anything more than a beginner level of understanding. I realise now that I should have made this more clear in my original post. I assumed as I was asking for help that this would be understood. I guess my nan didn't say that 'assumption is the mother of all f**k ups' for a no reason.

I have managed to ftp to the box but I still cannot find the channel.db file. All I see is My Music, My Photo and My Video folders. After some research on here, I see that in order to see hidden folders, I must disable FTP on the Humax and instal betaftp which i have done but still only see the 3 media folders.

Edit: I see I have to use root as the username and password
Edit: this didn't work

Last edited:
I have managed to ftp to the box but I still cannot find the channel.db file. All I see is My Music, My Photo and My Video folders. After some research on here, I see that in order to see hidden folders, I must disable FTP on the Humax and instal betaftp which i have done but still only see the 3 media folders.
You may only see the media folders but can change directory to other directories or specify a fully qualified name
from a windows command window:
Code:
C:\Users\User>ftp 192.168.1.76
Connected to 192.168.1.76.
220 Humax FTP Server ready.
500 Sorry, no such command.
User (192.168.1.76:(none)): root
331 Password required for root.
Password:
230 User logged in.
ftp> get /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db
200 PORT command OK.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'channel.db' (71680 bytes)
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 71680 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1352.45Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
I used 0000 for password but would be your boxes pin code if changed

You may only see the media folders but can change directory to other directories or specify a fully qualified name
from a windows command window:
Code:
C:\Users\User>ftp 192.168.1.76
Connected to 192.168.1.76.
220 Humax FTP Server ready.
500 Sorry, no such command.
User (192.168.1.76:(none)): root
331 Password required for root.
Password:
230 User logged in.
ftp> get /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db
200 PORT command OK.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'channel.db' (71680 bytes)
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 71680 bytes received in 0.05Seconds 1352.45Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
I used 0000 for password but would be your boxes pin code if changed

When i get to the password, it wont let me enter anything. It won't let me ctrl+v the password either. The curser still flashes. Enter is the only key it responds to. It then says 530 login incorrect, login failed when i hit enter as i haven't input my password.

Edit: Ignore this, i've sorted it. Can't figure out how to delete this comment.

Last edited:
When i get to the password, it wont let me enter anything. It won't let me ctrl+v the password either. The curser still flashes. Enter is the only key it responds to. It then says 530 login incorrect, login failed when i hit enter as i haven't input my password.
For security it doesn't echo what you enter at the password prompt (or display *) like some systems but it is still accepting your input up to the point you hit enter.
you can enter user root to retry the logon if needed

For security it doesn't echo what you enter at the password prompt (or display *) like some systems but it is still accepting your input up to the point you hit enter.
you can enter user root to retry the logon if needed

Sorry, just edited my original comment as you replied. I got in. Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, so i hope this is done right. I used both @MymsMan and @peterworks advice. I got the channel.db file from cmd and from chrome. The 2 files had different sizes so i attached both, also the default_channel.db file, not sure if that's needed. Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for being a spesh.

Attachments

• channel.db.txt
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • channel.db.txt
    51 KB · Views: 4
  • default_channel.db.txt
    23 KB · Views: 3
The 2nd (51KB) version is a valid database, the default is an skeleton database with no channel info.

I don't see anything obviously wrong but wouldn't know what I should look for so we await @prpr's opinion

Edit: It turns out there is a space at the end of 'BBC 2 Wales HD ' and that is what was causing your Update to fail
putting a space before the closing quote solves the problem, alternatively using wild cards would have been better '%BBC 2 Wales HD%'

I don't know if the space would cause a problem for tunefix.

Last edited:
The 2nd (51KB) version is a valid database, the default is an skeleton database with no channel info.

I don't see anything obviously wrong but wouldn't know what I should look for so we await @prpr's opinion

Edit: It turns out there is a space at the end of 'BBC 2 Wales HD ' and that is what was causing your Update to fail
putting a space before the closing quote solves the problem, alternatively using wild cards would have been better '%BBC 2 Wales HD%'

Oh my god! I would have never figured that out. Thank you so much! Tunefix still loses BBC 2 though, even after I add the space. I managed to move it using the SQL codes after a factory reset/fresh install. For future reference, should I be using quotation marks in tunefix also? Currently I am not. Either way, I've managed to move it so that's stopped bugging me now. Thanks again @MymsMan, your a legend!

It turns out there is a space at the end of 'BBC 2 Wales HD '
Aha. There had to be a simple answer.
It would.
In order to guard against user stupidity, tunefix strips out leading and trailing spaces from the parsed configuration file parameters.
Now it seems that in order to guard against broadcaster induced stupidity, we need to do the same with names from the database.
For future reference, should I be using quotation marks in tunefix also?
No. It won't help because they get stripped out along with any leading/trailing spaces.
Upgrade to tunefix 1.9.2 and that will make it work properly.

You have posted the output of the database viewer but to perform a proper analysis @prpr needs a copy of the actual data base file.
And it's absolutely critical in this case, as you cannot see trailing spaces in a multi-column text dump of the table, as displayed by the WebIf.
If he was being sarcastic
Well, fairly obviously (I thought), I was.
Sometimes, for a clever, precise sort of bloke, you can be quite dim and imprecise.
Why did you not just look at an SQL database file first, for example?
Perhaps you should be renamed Don rather than Ron :).

It would.
In order to guard against user stupidity, tunefix strips out leading and trailing spaces from the parsed configuration file parameters.
Now it seems that in order to guard against broadcaster induced stupidity, we need to do the same with names from the database.

I must have been the first person in the Wales region to have this problem it seems.

No. It won't help because they get stripped out along with any leading/trailing spaces.
Upgrade to tunefix 1.9.2 and that will make it work properly.

Yep, upgraded to 1.9.2 and now tunefix moves BBC 2 Wales HD correctly.

Now i have an understanding, albeit very basic of how the web interface and it's packages work, i can now have a little play around and see which packages i like or work best for me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sometimes, for a clever, precise sort of bloke, you can be quite dim and imprecise.
Perhaps you should be renamed Don rather than Ron :).
Shirley you can't be suggesting that POTUS is ever clever and precise, so why rename BH Don? (Obviously assuming that you consider BH is sometimes clever and precise, and that Don was a Trump reference)

Back