Thanks again for your help with this but I am beginning to think everything I do seems to make it worse. I now have no access to the Media to see my recorded programs or Data Storage which is grayed out.

I attempted to reinstall the original firmware (1.03.12) but this did not happen. I suspect it can see the custom firmware and believes this is the latest and will not download from the flash drive. I may have to download an older version but can not see how to access this from the Humax site.

In the end I may have to do a direct link to my PC but really hoped not to have to go to this as the problem should be a simple fix - I understand it is to delete one file - so adding a menu option on the custom firmware could solve this.

The Humax will accept original firmware (1.03.12) in place of Custom Firmware that is also based on 1.03.12, it is not necessary to download an older version. Loading any version of firmware (official or unofficial) via USB has always been an unreliable process, there are some notes that may help on the Wiki, i.e. :-

Some USB Flash / Disk Drives are reported not to work, The reason for this is not fully understood, However the following Tips are known to help :-
  • Ensure no other USB devices are connected
  • Do not use a USB extender cable
  • Removing all other files / full-formatting can prevent file fragmentation
  • Try both USB ports (HDR)
  • Smaller capacity drives seem to work more successfully than large ones
  • Last Resort, Try a different USB Flash Drive

Last edited:
In the end I may have to do a direct link to my PC but really hoped not to have to go to this as the problem should be a simple fix - I understand it is to delete one file - so adding a menu option on the custom firmware could solve this.
Yes you have to delete one file but the file in question will be opened by the Humax software when the box is in normal use and hence can't be deleted without going into Maintenance mode and stopping the Humax process. Also the delete loop is often associated with damage to the file system which fix-disk will attempt to repair.

I attempted to reinstall the original firmware (1.03.12) but this did not happen. I suspect it can see the custom firmware and believes this is the latest and will not download from the flash drive.
This is not the case. If there is a valid .hdf on the USB Pen Drive (regardless of version), and the 'FOX recognises and is able to access the UPD, a reboot will start the firmware update process. This will show on the TV screen as a download progress, followed by a programming progress. The same is shown in figures as a percentage on the front panel display.

The UPD can be unplugged once the programming has started, and must be unplugged before restarting once programming is complete. Note that there can be long pauses during programming progress, typically around 90%.

UPDs can and do become corrupted and cease to work. The firmware update system uses a stripped-down operating system with limited mass storage driver support, which explains why only a subset of UPDs on the market work (the older models, and therefore smaller). For more information see Things Every... (click) section 12.

Persist in trying to get the firmware update process to work, using any image you like. Once you have conquered it you will have confidence in the process - particularly what it looks like (I ought to put a video on YouTube - but it's a two-man job to do it properly). If the process really is broken, there is little that can be done in the event you need to run disk maintenance or whatever.

Back