Problems setting up new HD-Fox T2

So, installing the CF will NOT sort out this particular 'feature'?
Nope. It's featured in the HD and HDR.
(We have a Freesat 1010 as well and that never defaults to the favourites. After hitting the guide button you have to do another three button presses to get to your favourites ... :eek: . Be thankful for what you've got :) )

I seem to remember my old 9200T stuck doggedly to its Favourites EPG :)
I remember our 9200 ... but not much about it :oops:

What about re-allocating a handset button to invoke favourites by using an ir macro?

In any case, by using tunefix to automatically remove the "clutter" channels, there's less to wade through and you might not need favourites.

Last edited:
I seem to remember my old 9200T stuck doggedly to its Favourites EPG :)
It is one of a number of UI features which worked really well in previous model(s) but they managed to break in the HD/HDR-FOX T2.
e.g.
  • Timebar: Holding the left or right button down causes the pointer to accelerate to a high speed making it difficult to find a particular point. The old versions used to maintain a sensible speed. Also you could type in a time and it would jump to that time.
  • Swap button: The old SD machines would swap channels on a single press whereas on the HD machines the info bar has to be on screen for this function to work.
  • EPG when recording 2 channels on different muxes: On the old machines, unavailable channels would be greyed out in the EPG as well as the list but on the later machines the channels are no longer greyed out.

What about re-allocating a handset button to invoke favourites by using an ir macro?

In any case, by using tunefix to automatically remove the "clutter" channels, there's less to wade through and you might not need favourites.
These suggestions seem interesting. As usual, my expertise restricts my ability to understand quite what you mean. To undertake these 'hacks' i would presumably need to reinstall the CF?
  • Swap button: The old SD machines would swap channels on a single press whereas on the HD machines the info bar has to be on screen for this function to work.
That's good to know. Not as good as the 9200t, but a useful feature nonetheless.

Nope. It's featured in the HD and HDR.
(We have a Freesat 1010 as well and that never defaults to the favourites. After hitting the guide button you have to do another three button presses to get to your favourites ... :eek: . Be thankful for what you've got :) )
Unfortunately, this seems to be the way things are moving in modern Freeview televisions. Sony (Android) is a perfect example having dumped what was previously a perfect EPG interface.

OK, i'll do that and come back once i've done that
Please read what it says in Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) regarding hosting the CF on a HD-FOX before you make that decision.

HD-FOX owners must provide external USB storage to host the software components, before initiating download from the minimal web interface. The greatest day-to-day value of the Custom Firmware is its management of recordings, so a typical user will want a USB hard disk drive connected that has been formatted via the HD-FOX settings menus (so that it is recordable) as Ext3. However, a customised HD-FOX also makes an excellent networked companion to a customised HDR-FOX, and a UPD can be used to host the software component. The installation procedure prepares the UPD in a suitable manner (Ext2). NTFS and FAT32 drives/UPDs are not suitable for hosting the custom software until reformatted, and "preparation" assumes FAT32.

If you decide to use a UPD rather than a USB HDD, the installation menu will walk you through it.

Thanks for the link and information. Unfortunately, i really get the feeling now that the box is knackered. Since installing the stock firmware changing channels has often become a lengthy business of flashing screens, green screens and 'snow' screens. Sometimes the process takes up to 10 seconds before the new channel 'settles down'. And sometimes 4:3 ratios are correct and other times they are stretched. This last seems to be the box failing because the TV freeview tuner displays the same channel picture (ITV 3 at the moment) at the correct ratio. It really is a nightmare to use now and as i say it seems like a hardware problem except that it didn't happen before the firmware change.

Since installing the stock firmware changing channels has often become a lengthy business of flashing screens, green screens and 'snow' screens. Sometimes the process takes up to 10 seconds before the new channel 'settles down'.
That sounds like you've installed 1.03.03! What does Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information say?

The 'update date' is 14 Nov 2014, rather than 13 Mar 2022 - is that what you'd expect?

EDIT - it's also 'breaking up' on channels that are working perfectly on my TV, which is fed by the aeria passing through the humax.

Last edited:
The workaround is to not use the P+/P- buttons - always use the List or EPG to find channels.
It's only randomly entering channel numbers that breaks the Favourite selection. P+/- navigate within the selected Favourite group.

If you are the sort of person who has organised channels properly into a Favourite group that should persist despite misuse of the remote, it's possible to install a startup routine that resets the current channel to the lowest one in the group if the box shut down with a non-favourite channel selected. Details posted elsewhere but not yet packaged.

To recover the Favourite group in general, just use the List button and left-right, or the Blue button in the EPG, to select it, and OK twice.

Last edited:
Thanks. These minor problems seem to have been superseded by the box malfunctioning badly as described after being returned to the standard firmware 1.03.02. I had pretty much given up with this, but decided to reinstall the CF as a last ditch. However, i can't seem to find it - the wiki link gives a 404 error.

Back