Problems viewing DLNA content on other Hummy

b1mb0

Hi,

This is my first post, so please don't flame me. I have a HDR-2000T and recently purchased a 2nd hand HDR-FOX T2 and was hoping that I could stream the content I have on my HDR-2000T to the HDR-FOX T2.

I can see the content of the 2000T on the FOX but am unable to play it as it says "Cannot support this file format"

If there is no way to get the 2000T & FOX to play nicely with each other, is there a way to view the recordings on the 2000T if I bought another one?

Thanks for any help offered.

Phil. (B1mb0)

This is my first post, so please don't flame me. I have a HDR-2000T and recently purchased a 2nd hand HDR-FOX T2 and was hoping that I could stream the content I have on my HDR-2000T to the HDR-FOX T2.

I can see the content of the 2000T on the FOX but am unable to play it as it says "Cannot support this file format"
Is this HD or SD content or both?

Well, there you go. You would (I guess) have more chance of success the other way around, ie playing content recorded by an older machine using a newer machine. Trying to play content recorded by a newer machine is (philosophically) doomed to failure, so your idea
on the 2000T if I bought another one?
...seems to have better legs.

There's plenty I can tell you about the HDR-FOX, and a reasonable amount others can tell you about the HDR-2000T, but what is certain is we have the means to make an HDR-FOX do almost anything (within reason) and no means to make the 2000T do anything Humax didn't design it to do. If you were trying to operate two HDR-FOXes together in the way you describe, there would be no problem at all - so maybe your best plan is to obtain another HDR-FOX rather than a second HDR-2000T.

This is my first post, so please don't flame me.
Why would we flame you? Please see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Well, there you go. You would (I guess) have more chance of success the other way around, ie playing content recorded by an older machine using a newer machine. Trying to play content recorded by a newer machine is (philosophically) doomed to failure, so your idea

...seems to have better legs.

There's plenty I can tell you about the HDR-FOX, and a reasonable amount others can tell you about the HDR-2000T, but what is certain is we have the means to make an HDR-FOX do almost anything (within reason) and no means to make the 2000T do anything Humax didn't design it to do. If you were trying to operate two HDR-FOXes together in the way you describe, there would be no problem at all - so maybe your best plan is to obtain another HDR-FOX rather than a second HDR-2000T.

Why would we flame you? Please see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).
Oh wow, thanks so much for the information. So best bet would be another HDR FOX T2 then to solve all my issues? What else can a Fox T2 do other than the standard recordings?

What else can a Fox T2 do other than the standard recordings?
:D
Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click). Skip post 2 (Installation) for the moment, just look at Introduction and Configuration.

However, even without any of that and just running standard firmware, with two HDR-FOXes you will be able to view the content of either on either (provided they are both connected to yur home network), whether StDef or HiDef (but I expect two 2000T's to be able to do the same).

Is that down to lack of DTCP compliance?
I'll take that as a rhetorical question if it was aimed at me. I haven't the foggiest what DTCP compliance is and whether all/some/none of the Humax products are compliant. Guessing, I'd say any software I use on the PC isn't compliant - mainly because the software I use, I wrote.

DTCP
Digital Transmission Content Protection - a means of securing rights-restricted material transferred by any digital channel (in our case Ethernet). As a media server, the Humax protects HiDef recordings by DTCP, thus restricting your choice of clients to those which have paid the relevant licence fees (not unlike HDCP). Note that (by running the CF) DTCP can be effectively switched off. See also HDCP.​

It's a feature of DLNA to protect HiDef content from being ripped. StDef is unprotected, but if a client asks for HiDef to be served it has to authenticate itself as certified to play only (ie not save). It does that by cryptographic exchange (like the certificates which became invalid for iPlayer access from a HDR-FOX).

Thus, if the 2000T doesn't get a valid authentication response from the HDR-FOX, it won't serve the content.

HDR-FOX to HDR-FOX or HD-FOX does authenticate. I can't vouch for 2000T to 2000T, but I presume it does.

Last edited:
As there is no CF for either the 2000T or 5000T you can’t switch DTCP off. I seem to think I’ve managed to see HiDef programmes listed by the 5000T, but if I try to play them it crashes the box. Can’t be sure what software on the PC allowed that. Not one of mine that’s for sure.

Back