Problems with the TV Portal

I'll have a try of this later, my Fox is currently recording a programme so I don't want to risk crashing it at the moment. The crashes I've experienced are complete reboots, not just prolonged freezes or slowdowns.

Okay, the recording finished so I just watched Hacker Time (30 minutes) and then tried a few searches - select a letter, wait for it to fully populate, then delete the letter and select another, after 4 of these my Fox crashed - black screen reboot, HUMAX loading screen. I'm going to try another half hour program.

Nope, after the news was finished and exited back to the iPlayer page, I navigated to the "search" tab, then went through from A to Z as you described - not a hiccup.

I'm stumped. Mine didn't crash this time so I tried watching a couple of other programmes - and still no crash :confused: ... maybe it's fixed itself?

Proposition: a bug in the error trapping means that bad data returned from the Internet can crash the firmware. Everything's OK as long as the data meets expectations, but a missing HTML tag (or whatever they use) or something results in an illegal execution.

Just a thought - if you are sure its portal related could you not install the mod firmware and use one of the 2 other portal applications to see if it still happens?
The mod would take about an hour to do first time while working through it and you can remove it all easy enough if you want later.
I think BH's suggestion above is a good one from what you've said so far and doing this may change something that helps.
If you do this do not try and use the Sky on demand section of their portal. (It doesnt work with the box and can cause issues)

Just a thought - if you are sure its portal related could you not install the mod firmware and use one of the 2 other portal applications to see if it still happens?
The mod would take about an hour to do first time while working through it and you can remove it all easy enough if you want later.
I think BH's suggestion above is a good one from what you've said so far and doing this may change something that helps.
If you do this do not try and use the Sky on demand section of their portal. (It doesnt work with the box and can cause issues)

I've just tried another search test and everything is fine, no crashes or problems. It's really strange how a few days ago I couldn't watch anything on iplayer or Youtube without it dropping out after around 10 minutes (and that problem mysteriously disappeared), and now the search crashing problem seems to have disappeared too. I've hardly used the portal at all up until this week so it's almost like it's been "bedding in". The next thing on my todo list is the custom firmware, I was just testing other functionality first before attempting this.

Hi all, hopefuuly I'm not hijacking this thread ? But I'm having TV Portal problem when using youtube. It loads OK the listings on the righthand side are there but nothing will play. Instead I get "A temporary error has occurred. Try again." in the player window (mentioned in OP). The search works fine, so I have no netork issues, iplayer and WIKI also no problems.

This is the first problem I've had with the youtube portal, and have been using the Custom FW stream capture (BIG thanks for that little GEM) for over a month.

Any Ideas?

edit just noticed that webif is looking a bit weird. It has mini Icons above the usual Big menu icons. I've taken a screen capture, but not sure how or if I need to upload it ?

I never got to the bottom of the Youtube problem. I still get "A temporary error has occurred. Try again" errors. Possibly due to the version of Flash installed on the Fox? It must be pretty old now.

I never got to the bottom of the Youtube problem. I still get "A temporary error has occurred. Try again" errors. Possibly due to the version of Flash installed on the Fox? It must be pretty old now.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Going to do a re-instal of CF using the file I first used and see if that helps.

(Just realised, its exactly 4week old and I was doing the original upgrade, bizarre....)

Job done. Or coincidence ?

hmmm all back to normal

(starting to get a bit paranoid about leaving the net connection on)

I've taken a screen capture, but not sure how or if I need to upload it?

There are upload tools under the edit window, once uploaded you have options to include a full image or just a thumbnail in the post. This is not an invitation for people to attach large images gratuitously!

edit just noticed that webif is looking a bit weird. It has mini Icons above the usual Big menu icons. I've taken a screen capture, but not sure how or if I need to upload it ?

This is the new toolbar that was added recently. You just need to force your browser to do a refresh and all should be fine again (usually pressing the refresh button on the top bar will do it or pressing Control + F5 at the same time on the keyboard).

Thanks both of you (Blackhole and af123).

The pop-down menu is working as you have described. Looks pretty cool too. Not sure why it was displayed as mini icons vertically before a re-install, never the less excellent work.

all the best Sid

Back