Programme Extraction, Transport Stream Analysis and transportx Package

Yep, that worked fine - complete TS file is 1.18GB. No NTS or THM file this time, though; is their purpose explained somewhere? Unfortunately Windows Media Player won't play, and the Promax TS analyser software doesn't like it.
Did you decrypt before downloading via webif, copying to USB decrypts on the fly

The sidecar files are not essential and are explained on the wiki and numerous forum trheads

Did you decrypt before downloading via webif, copying to USB decrypts on the fly

The sidecar files are not essential and are explained on the wiki and numerous forum trheads
Thanks - it struck me that might be the problem; will look into how to decrypt. Will check out the explanation of the sidecar files.

is their purpose explained somewhere?
Try the Glossary, entry Sidecar. We've been at this for well over a decade, so of course it's explained somewhere! They have no purpose whatsoever except for playing recordings on the HDR-FOX itself.

The key sources of information are linked in my signature panel, where it says "NEW READERS CLICK HERE". Google is your friend; Newbie's Guide:
Alternatively there are two methods of conducting a forum search:

Native - using the search box near the top right of the forum page. This is useful for being able to restrict the search to only a specific section and/or topic titles rather than the full post text. Searching for a keyword within just the title of a topic will result in fewer hits, but the hits are more likely to be relevant. The native search refuses to search for strings of three letters or fewer, as a blanket ban on words such as "the", which would score a huge number of hits. It's a blunt instrument, but were stuck with it.​
External - using your favourite search engine. For example: a Google search can be restricted to search results from the forum by prefixing the search term(s) with "site:hummy.tv/forum", eg site:hummy.tv/forum newbies guide. It would be difficult to restrict searches to topic titles this way, so the native search still has its uses, but the results filtering is much better and there is no restriction against three-letter search terms.​
If you want to include the wiki in the Google search, just use "site:hummy.tv".

Also:
Basic rules for finding stuff:
  • If it's to do with CF:
    1. Check the wiki (it's got its own search, or Tools >> Special Pages >> All Pages);
    2. Check for a package-specific thread in the forum master index https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/index-of-package-primary-topics.8005/ (pinned topic);
    3. Run a restricted search within the CF section of the forum using the forum search tool (restrict search to "This forum" - which means the CF section), additional restrictions are available by clicking "Advanced search...";
    4. Run a Google (or preferred search engine) site-specific search "site:hummy.tv <search_terms>".
  • If it's not CF-specific:
    1. See Things Every HDR-FOX Owner Should Know;
    2. Run a restricted search within the non-CF HDR-FOX section of the forum using the forum search tool (restrict search to "This forum"), additional restrictions are available by clicking "Advanced search...";
    3. Run a Google (or preferred search engine) site-specific search "site:hummy.tv <search_terms>".
While, in general, we like people asking questions because we get to see trends, it's a bit tedious having to point people at basic stuff they could/should find for themselves.

Unfortunately Windows Media Player won't play, and the Promax TS analyser software doesn't like it.
Oh FFS. Try the "Decrypt" button. It's right under the "Download" button in the WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> [select recording] >> Opt+ menu.

But I thought the WebIF download button automatically decrypted if necessary. Did you do something else?

Oh FFS. Try the "Decrypt" button. It's right under the "Download" button in the WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> [select recording] >> Opt+ menu.

But I thought the WebIF download button automatically decrypted if necessary. Did you do something else?
Sorry - I took your post #18 at face value without realising I had to decrypt first. (I managed to find the download option ok.) Thanks for all the steers on finding info - and for that TLA (a new one on me)! Your patience is appreciated and, no, I didn't do something else - just did as I was told.

I'd be interested in your views on the Promax TS analysis software if you've had a chance to look at it.

Sorry - I took your post #18 at face value without realising I had to decrypt first.
I didn't know you didn't know you had to decrypt it first, it's basic stuff and the first thing which should come to mind if a recording won't read. But I also would have expected the WebIF to recognise that the file needed decryption and invoke a different download process... do you have Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share turned off? Turn it on (and enforce it in BootSettings) - it's the basic mechanism for hardware-assisted decryption, and without it the Decrypt button would have fallen back on software decryption.

I'd be interested in your views on the Promax TS analysis software if you've had a chance to look at it.
I have plenty else to worry about (like spoon-feeding people who shouldn't need it, but at least it's entertaining)! Maybe once Xmas is out of the way...

Last edited:
It might be easiest to use the CF transportx frame advance to work out what is happening..
My old S-VHS machine's remote had a jog/shuttle wheel and transportx goes some way to duplicating its functionality. Using it I determined the panning shot (see original post) lasts 145 frames, all different except: 12=13; 37=38; 62=63; 87=88; 112=113; 137=138. So that confirms original 24fps has been made 25fps by repeating every 24th frame. Little wonder it's unpleasant to watch!

Back