Proposed method of auto-decryption on HDR-2000T

Rome wasn't built in a day....

Obvious point here, that I forgot. In the script you need to edit

HOST='192.168.1.119'

to match the IP address of your box.

ProdigalSon - the error message you got when you dropped humax.sh into a Terminal window indicates the script ran. If you edit HOST it should now work.

Last edited:
I've spent some time working on the script so that it will now automatically find the box by looking for a Humax MAC address. Download the OS X application here. I hope this is rather more successful than the first attempt!

Tony

prog-img.png

Last edited:
I added HOST=’192.168.76.1’ to the beginning of the script but still received the following error message:

Failed to connect to Humax

Make sure your box is turned on and that FTP Server is set to on.

logout

That wouldn't help with the new script.

What did you get in the Applescript dialogue box - the one that looks like this:

prog-img.png

I don't get that. If I attempt to open the 3DC "Enc" icon, I receive...

"3DC" is damaged and can't be opened.
You should move it to the trash.

I have to select "Show Package Contents" and then navigate to the Mac OS X folder, drag the applet into Terminal and then I receive the same error message as before but this time within the Humax Encryption Flag Reset dialogue box:

Failed to connect to Humax

Make sure your box is turned on and that FTP Server is set to on.

Yes my box is on and the FTP Server is set to on as I can access it via VLC and FileZilla. :)

OK. A couple of things here. One is that there is some stuff I don't know about moving Applescript apps to other Macs. The other, is that I've assumed that all Humax MAC Addresses start with 6c:b5:6b. On the back of your Humax there will be a sticker with it's MAC Address. Does it start with 6c:b5:6b ?

The DCD3 and 08EB addresses are also seen on the YouView boxes.
Re. the HDR-FOX, if you did not want to install custom firmware, wouldn't the app work on this model too?

there is some stuff I don't know about moving Applescript apps to other Macs

It appears that from OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8, Apple introduced something called Gatekeeper to prevent unsigned apps from running. In order to sign apps for distribution you have to buy a developer licence from Apple. This would explain why ProdigalSon could not run my app directly. It may however be possible to run the app by right clicking and selecting Open. Failing that, have a look at this page which deals with the same issue on some other software:
https://help.my-private-network.co....ountain-lion-installing-unsigned-applications

It appears that from OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8, Apple introduced something called Gatekeeper to prevent unsigned apps from running. In order to sign apps for distribution you have to buy a developer licence from Apple. This would explain why ProdigalSon could not run my app directly. It may however be possible to run the app by right clicking and selecting Open. Failing that, have a look at this page which deals with the same issue on some other software:
https://help.my-private-network.co....ountain-lion-installing-unsigned-applications

Hi Charlie, I didn't even know about your replies till now because the e-mail notification never occurred! :(

I ran the app by (as usual) selecting Show Package Contents and then navigating to Scripts, where I then ran 3dc.sh from the Terminal....

Success! It takes a while but all the recordings are decrypted and then available for viewing within VLC (regardless of whether they're SD/HD) or bulk exporting to an external HDD for archiving or copying over to the Mac for editing. Thanks so much for this and in particular for the perseverance. If you're ever in London or the South East, I'll treat you to a pint/your preferred drink. :D

Success! It takes a while but all the recordings are decrypted and then available for viewing within VLC
The recordings are not decrypted (in the sense that I think you mean). This process removes the protection from HiDef recordings so that they will stream just the same as StDef recordings - being decrypted in the process of streaming them, but remaining encrypted on the HDD.

The delay is because the Humax has to re-index a recording after it has been manipulated, before it is available for DLNA streaming.

It would be possible to extend this process and return decrypted recordings to the Humax's HDD by FTP, but there seems to me little benefit in doing this except as an insurance policy against the death of the Humax.

Question: are the unprotected HiDef recordings then decrypted if copied to USB (this may have been answered previously, as a result of using Foxy - I don't recall)?

Last edited:
Foxy changes the byte in the .htm file that controls whether or not recordings are decrypted on copying. Once changed the recording is treated exactly the same as a SD one. As a result yes HD is decrypted on copying.

It would be possible to extend this process and return decrypted recordings to the Humax's HDD by FTP, but there seems to me little benefit in doing this except as an insurance policy against the death of the Humax.
This is exactly what I've allowed with my attempt at producing the "Foxy-max" utility you proposed. (Whether it ever gets released is another matter-still needs testing, documenting, etc.). As you say, little benefit. Whilst I use the utility all the time (and keep having to modify it), returning decrypted files to the Humax isn't a feature I make use of.

Question: are the unprotected HiDef recordings then decrypted if copied to USB (this may have been answered previously, as a result of using Foxy - I don't recall)?
I'm tempted to say RTFM - but I wouldn't say that, would I? ;)

Back