Puzzle Corner

I did the Sunday one easily. Still can't make progress with the Saturday one. Must be missing something, but I can't see it.

OK, on the fourth sitting (I was operating at a disadvantage over the weekend) I spotted an error in my markup which should present a solution (posted on the fly):

D5=5 E5=3 B5=1 C2=5
[D2 D3]=[1 2] ∴︎ [A4 D4 E4]=[3 4 5] ∴︎ B4=2 C4=1 A1=1 A2=4 A3=3 A4=5...

My solution requires a double inference, so I'll grade it Hard.

Last edited:
Okay, done it now. Wasn't helped by me missing something similar to what I'm about to mention! Not sure I follow your logic in the spoiler though.a4,d4,e4 can't all be 3,4,5. One can't be 5 and another can't be 3 because of previous moves.

Not sure I follow your logic in the spoiler though.a4,d4,e4 can't all be 3,4,5. One can't be 5 and another can't be 3 because of previous moves.
That's not what my notation is intended to mean.

[A4 D4 E4]=[3 4 5] means squares A4, D4, and E4 all contain some subset of 3, 4, and/or 5 – which is a sufficient condition to conclude that B4 and C4 (the remaining squares in that particular row or column) cannot be 3, 4, or 5.

I'm not familiar with set union symbols and such like, perhaps you can suggest a suitable symbol?
Neither am I. That was one part of maths that made no sense to me. All those symbols such as A with missing bar, combined 0 and x ... all meaningless to me. And as for the stuff in [] :rolling: . I was good at maths until half way through A level, and then my understanding took a nose dive! (That wasn't too helpful with wave equations requiring div, grad, and curl operators either.:o_O: )

I was good at maths until half way through A level, and then my understanding took a nose dive! (That wasn't too helpful with wave equations requiring div, grad, and curl operators either.:o_O: )
Very similar here. The more abstract it became, the less I was able to relate to it. I might actually do better now.

I might actually do better now.
It’s possible. I can remember having real difficulties at A level with the concept of resolving forces. Once I’d cracked it I found it dead easy. Probably even now, if I put my mind to it, I might make sense of the more abstract stuff. Or perhaps not.

I graded it moderate-- (minus minus) because it requires an inference. I was tempted to call it easy, but I haven't really standardised on a rating scale.

Let's call this easy as well then:

1661072395380.jpeg

I'd call that more difficult than yesterday's. It looked easy, but somehow I ended up with two 4s on one line and two 5s on another. Started again and didn't make the same mistake. Yesterday, no mistakes!

Back