[rc-app-bridge] Humax remote app for iphone

Edatkin

Just found a remote HUMAX remote app for iphone which apparently should be able to control the HDR Fox t2 but I can't get it to work even though it detects it on my network. Has anybody got this app to work?

I don't know of anything that could make this work, unless some new capability has been added to the latest official firmware 1.03.06 or 1.03.11.

It is intriguing that there may have been some Ethernet remote command capability that we did not know about all along. Possible alternatives include the idea that some other customising group has done something similar to our ir package, and gone so far as to release an app for it.

We have something similar via the custom firmware: the ir package sets up a virtual remote control which can be accessed from any web browser, and there is a mobile skin for the WebIF so that it is optimised for iPhone and the like.

The only Humax Remote app that I can find is for the Humax iCord Evolution (HMS-1000S).

The notes on the app store state its compatible with the Humax iCord Evolution (HMS-1000S) only but when you run the app the app states its compatible with 15 humax products including the HDR Fox t2.

Maybe its a mistake then.

The virtual remote works nicely. Thanks.

The Andriod version of Humax remote app. only has Humax H3 HSO-1000 and HMS-1000S/DE as possible device types at present

Screenshot_2014-01-26-13-35-50.png

I've just downloaded it myself and indeed it does list the HDR T2.
Mistake or upcoming feature that we don't have access to yet?

I am still mystified why Humax are continuing development of an end-of-life product. It makes no economic sense, unless perhaps they think it's good PR or they are using it as a test bed for the 2000T or future products.

From the picture in #5 I can get the Humax Media Player to work (on non *.TS files), but Humax TV Live and TV Remote don't find my HDR-Fox, 'Humax TV remote' seems to be looking for devices on 192.168.XXX.XXX even though my intranet is on 10.0.0.XXX, I haven't found any setting to point it in the right direction

BH, maybe they are learning from the success of Apple and the iPhone/iPad? They all share the same firmware, but certain models have more features while the older ones eventually drop off the list of supported products..
At the end of the day, if they can get a few more years out of the same model with a firmware update, then why wouldn't they? Especially if sales tell them the HDR is still outselling the replacement box..

The last remaining places with stock, refurbs, maybe they have another box launch on standby that uses the same firmware? Only humax know the truth, but there is obviously a good reason..

I don't know of anything that could make this work, unless some new capability has been added to the latest official firmware 1.03.06 or 1.03.11.

I've knocked up a package which, at least on my box, lets the Humax Remote App function - it's called rc-app-bridge
I'm not sure there's any real point to it but it was an interesting exercise!

There are a number of other apps on the play store including one that plays media from the humax on a phone/tablet and an interesting one that seems to allow live streaming of TV and remote recording.

No equivalents on the apple store (yet ?)

They need an account on myhumax.net to work

I'm not at home at the moment and have an iphone so not had a chance to try these to see if they work with the HDR.

Is rc-app-bridge for I-phone only?, i.e. would you expect it to work on the andriod version of the Humax Remote App.?, does it add the HDR-Fox T2 as a new model?

There are a number of other apps on the play store including one that plays media from the humax on a phone/tablet
That's easy, any DLNA media player will do that (with the right codecs and enough power).

...and an interesting one that seems to allow live streaming of TV
Not with a HDR-FOX as the data source. Sky Go subscribers get their live TV on-the-go as an Internet stream, anyone else can do similar using the CatchupTV app or web site.

...and remote recording.
Again, not possible on an (unmodified) HDR-FOX, unless there are hidden facilities we know nothing about.

I've knocked up a package which, at least on my box, lets the Humax Remote App function - it's called rc-app-bridge
I'm not sure there's any real point to it but it was an interesting exercise!
Just tested it on two Fox T2s.
Works fine with my iPad.
Just had to install the DLNA server rename package so that I can distinguish them within the app.

Thanks for giving it a go. I had to make some questionable button assignments : )

Last edited:
Is rc-app-bridge for I-phone only?, i.e. would you expect it to work on the andriod version of the Humax Remote App.?, does it add the HDR-Fox T2 as a new model?
Sorry, no idea if it will work with the Android app.

Wow!

Thanks af123. Installed the new helper package plus the Humax Remote app on both my iPhone and iPad. Brilliant! If I may say so, it works a lot faster then the 'original' Remote App package.

I have to qualify that by saying I have only just tried some of it's functionality at this point in time.

We have a portable TV in 'The Morning Room' that I have connected to the HDR's via an RF modulator. We can watch recordings on this TV but have to use the Remote App 'built in to the WebIf'. It does work a treat. We only need basic functionality, access to the media library and the ability to play, pause, rewind recordings etc.

But the official Humax Remote app (which I didn't even know existed until I read this thread), is a lot 'snappier' as I have said.

Thanks!

Back