Recommend Me a Router

Well, I've agreed to take Trev's DGND3700v2 off him, despite it not being supported by DD-WRT and the customised firmware for DGND3700 being for v1! Regardless it should be an improvement on this sodding BT HomeHub (if it works without needing a reboot every few days that will be an advantage), and it may well prove sufficient for my needs. Should I feel like venturing into the realm of router flashing in the future, I'll have to look for a suitable router then.

For now, it's a job off my (lengthy) to-do list!

Version 2 also supports Netgear Genie app (iOS) for viewing status etc. Version 1 (as per my box) doesn't support it (well one bit works).
The box was quite a high spec/expensive unit in its time. As Trev says, it works fine, and is very flexible anyway, without custom firmware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I hadn't gone fibre, I would still be using it. As HarveyB said, it wasn't the cheapest box out there when I bought it, but as I had a 5GHz WiFi phone and tablet, I just felt that I had to have the 5GHz tech. I then 'just had' to fit a 5GHz wireless card into my lappy. I hadn't had it very long before I stupidly went to fibre, so 'just had to have' a new router as I didn't like the bloody EE brightbox. And so it goes on.

Installed and working. Speed testing doesn't show any noticeable difference, 2.14Mbps (I get a wide variation anyway).

Nether issued a recent vulnerability fix for some of their routers. Check for updated firmware!

I got an update (v1.0.0.56) a week or two ago for my D6400. Release notes say"Fixed the security issue about Security Advisory VU 582384". Released about Christmas time. Is that the one that you were referring to Mike?
THIS talks about it and the 3700 is not specifically mentioned.
And I get the response "The 192.168.0.1 page isn’t working" to the command "http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/;COMMAND"
Another test is:
Test your router with

http://1.2.3.4/cgi-bin/;reboot

where 1.2.3.4 is the LAN side IP address of your router. Yes, there is a semi-colon just before "reboot." If this reboots the router, it is vulnerable.

Last edited:
Oh dear. If the 3700 was on the list, and if I could be persuaded to click on a dodgy link, somebody might be able to tweak the router to open a port and get blocked by my PC's firewall. :eek:

Back