Recording end missed

moosey

Hi,

I've had this problem three times in the last week where the HDR-T2 continued to record after the scheduled end time. Three different programmes on three different channels.

The first I was aware of this problem was when recording the MotoGP last Monday and the box was still recording long after the programme had finished. The box would not come out of standby, either using the front panel or remote. The Web If was able to access the box but could only see that it was recording and in Standby. As a last resort I had to switch off power to the box. On powering back up the MotoGP recording was shown as 7 mins long, although I hadn't pulled the plug until well over an hour after the start of the show. However, the recording did seem to contain the full programme length.
On checking the media library, the "Sky at Night" recorded the previous evening should have been just over 20 mins but was shown as nearly 6 hours in length! After watching these programmes I deleted the recordings and did a hard power reset on the box, followed by a fix flash packages just in case, although there was no crash report or other warning shown.

Last night, recording "Guy Martin's WW1 tank" at 8pm the box was still recording at past 2 am and again the box would not respond to the front panel power switch or the remote to come out of standby. On this occasion I let the box continue and this morning the recording is shown as the expected 120 mins, although the Web If shows the box was powered up from 8pm until 4 am.

Has anyone any ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks,

Peter

PS Running CFW 3.13 and all packages are auto updated.

Hi,

These were manually entered via the box itself or via the WebIF. I don't use RTS. The first two were series linked and the last one a one-off.

Thanks again BH,
I'm just waiting for the box to finish decrypting the Guy Martin programme. Even though it's shown as 120 mins duration the file size is over 20GB! Auto-decrypt taking its time accordingly. There was another prog recorded last night, 1 hour duration SD, and that is showing as an 8 GB file - very strange!

Yes, very. My recording of the Guy Martin programme was available decrypted and ad-detected within half an hour (but I do have chaserun selected in the detectads settings).

Thanks again BH,
I'm just waiting for the box to finish decrypting the Guy Martin programme. Even though it's shown as 120 mins duration the file size is over 20GB! Auto-decrypt taking its time accordingly. There was another prog recorded last night, 1 hour duration SD, and that is showing as an 8 GB file - very strange!
If you have run-on recordings you could use the webif to set a Bookmark at the point where it should have ended and then use the Crop option to delete the extraneous section of the file.

Do you receive signal from more than one transmitter? I think that can cause problems with the Accurate Recording signals

No, I'm only receiving signals from one transmitter (Hannington).

I can try the crop option,but it's most likely that these programmes will be deleted once viewed.

Thanks,
Peter

Okay, I performed a total system reset and after nearly a couple of weeks of behaving correctly the box last night made a 95 minute recording last for 439 minutes and prevented another scheduled recording from happening. Not sure if its relevant, but yesterday afternoon I performed a channel rescan to regain LCN 81 which changed yesterday. Otherwise not sure why this is happening, but I'll do another total system reset and keep fingers crossed.

Okay, I performed a total system reset and after nearly a couple of weeks of behaving correctly the box last night made a 95 minute recording last for 439 minutes and prevented another scheduled recording from happening. Not sure if its relevant, but yesterday afternoon I performed a channel rescan to regain LCN 81 which changed yesterday. Otherwise not sure why this is happening, but I'll do another total system reset and keep fingers crossed.

I recently experienced a series of runaway recordings with similar symptoms to those you described in the first post. After a lot of tests, including a system reset, I eventually found that two conditions were necessary to trigger one: First, Foxlink is installed to allow easy access to recordings on a second T2. Second, both machines were in standby when a recording started or finished. Removing either of the triggers ends the problem. I've now reinstalled Foxlink and make sure not to put the boxes into standby if a recording is running or soon to start. It's been about a month without a single runaway.

Interesting! I had recently installed Foxlink on both my machines. I will try removing Foxlink and see if that fixes it.

Okay. Not wishing to tempt fate, but its now 18 days since I removed Foxlink and I've not had any more runaway recordings.

I don't recall ever having had a runaway recording, and I don't use foxlink. Is there anyone here who fits the following categories?:
  • Uses foxlink, and has never had a runaway recording (usually seem to occur when scheduled via WebIF or RS with RTS);
  • Does not have foxlink installed but has had a runaway recording.

I've had lots of trouble with Foxlink. If the remote end goes away, it often screws up the local. Sometimes it just gives you a large lag until it unmounts the remote. Other times it stops the remote control working altogether (both physical and WebIf/command line) and you're forced to reboot.
The other really irritating thing about it is that you can't turn it off (other than uninstalling it or removing its entry from the Cron file).
Oh, and the "only supporting one remote" thing as well.
Really it's easier to write your own scripts for on/off.

Using SMB shares (rather than NFS) via network-shares-automount (rather than foxlink), I don't recognise any of those problems. Is there a difference between how foxlink and NSA work, or is it down to NFS?

Back