Recording end missed

Foxlink and NSA are just a means to an end. They don't do any real work. That is down to SMB versus NFS. I can't comment on the approaches taken by each of those to getting the job done.

I haven’t been here for quite a while. Just found this thread.
Can’t help on the diagnosis, because it was a few months ago, but I had runaway issues, and gradually deleted packages until it stopped. Had no trouble until connecting two boxes, and hadn’t got the two linked before ending the project.
Fascinated to find it’s becoming a known issue though.
Just another data point.

Does not have foxlink installed but has had a runaway recording.

I had a runaway recording when RTS was being introduced. RTS was enabled at the time the runaway happened.

I seem to recall reports of occasional runaways being linked to RTS. After my runaway I disabled RTS and haven't had a recurrence, although of course that proves nothing.

The experience of finding 35hr / 80Gb recording was fairly alarming so I haven't been tempted to use RTS since, which is a pity.

I had a runaway recording when RTS was being introduced. RTS was enabled at the time the runaway happened.

I seem to recall reports of occasional runaways being linked to RTS. After my runaway I disabled RTS and haven't had a recurrence, although of course that proves nothing.

The experience of finding 35hr / 80Gb recording was fairly alarming so I haven't been tempted to use RTS since, which is a pity.
There were quite a lot of runaways reported when RTS was first introduced but the most common cause was fixed a year ago since which there have been very few runaways reported, some but not all, appear to be related in some way to the use of Foxlink.

It is is probably worth giving RTS another try - most users seem to have few problems.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it another try!

I too have been having recording runaways since before Christmas. Having had aerial distribution problems and being in hospital for three months somewhat blunted my enthusiasm for recorded (HDR T2) TV material. Discharged at the end of November I threw myself back into the fray.
Upgrading a 500GB Humax to 2TB went without incident or so I thought and then reviewing and installing the so useful extra packages went well.
Then the recording runaways started :-(
Yesterday I performed a full factory reset w/o a hard disk format on both HDR T2s and uninstalled foxlink from both machines.
For the first time in weeks both units behaved impeccably overnight including 2 simultaneous recordings on Humax Downstairs (1TB) coinciding with a simultaneous recording start on Humax Upstairs (2TB upgraded). I shall go back to accessing media for playback using SMB protocols.
I love this community

Okay, so after two months of good behaviour (without Foxlink) I reinstalled Foxlink Monday. Tuesday night, a recording that should have lasted one hour was still recording away Wednesday at 9 am! Surely not just coincidence? I had to remove mains power to stop the recording.
I have now removed Foxlink and am running disk test to make sure the file structure wasn't damaged by pulling the plug.

Strangely I also had a run on recording last night, the BBC News at 10 ran until until I shut down the box with remote control a bit after midnight.

I am not a Foxlink user,
Previously I had thought there was a link with using RTS whilst a recording was in progress but that wasn't the case yesterday so I have no idea why it might have occurred - could the BBC have forgotten to transmit an end of program indication? Recently I have noticed a premature switch between the recording of the national news and start of the local news often the last story of the national news is truncated halfway though

Do we have any tools that will analyse a recording and report where the AR points actually are?

Do we have any tools that will analyse a recording and report where the AR points actually are?
I use Arbookmarks to get to the beginning of my padded recordings. I do find that the beginning mark is accurate but the end mark is often in a random position (eg, a third of the way through, five minutes past the end of the recording or no end mark at all).

Under the covers arbookmarks is stripts -X but it wont work on a recording made using AR instead of padding, I was hoping to find an option to override that check but couldn't find one :(

Strangely I also had a run on recording last night, the BBC News at 10 ran until until I shut down the box with remote control a bit after midnight.

In my case, on all occasions this has occurred, the box controls have frozen and will not respond to the front panel or remote. The web i/f is still working, but the only way to stop the recording if it is still going is to switch off mains power.

In my case, on all occasions this has occurred, the box controls have frozen and will not respond to the front panel or remote. The web i/f is still working, but the only way to stop the recording if it is still going is to switch off mains power.
I had that on a runaway AR recording last night .

Back