Recording failed

Brian Harrison

New to foxat HDR, and on monday whilst looking to view a recorded program, this error message appeared
" Recording has failed, conflict with higher priority recording"
I can't work this one out. The system is set properly with two inputs from the dish .
Any ideas please.
Regards

Without knowing what you had set to record hard to say. The error normally means that an ongoing recording has run late stopping the later one, or a series recording has generated a recording where you did not expect one. If you post your recording schedule for the night and which BBC regions you have at 101 102 and ITV at 103 might have a chance of identifying what went wrong.

If one of the recordings was from BBC 1 SD then what sometimes happens is BBC1 Scotland has a different episode to England scheduled so the box tries to record both.

Hi thank you for the reply.
I cannot supply the schedule as another problem occurred, after returning from xmas break we went to view programs recorded only to find message displayed stating " no signal being received" when checking the program guide although they were all listed each time I selected one the no signal message was displayed. I then retuned (auto) and all the programs returned and my Humax seems to work ok, but all scheduling was lost. My own explanation is maybe the severe weather had something to do with it but perhaps I am clutching at straws, At this moment in time I am not that impressed with this Foxat HDR unit and being a ex 9300t owner which is much easier to use perhaps I am expecting to much, that said I am impressed with it's picture quality

When I was preparing for analogue switch-off, I chose Freeview over Freesat specifically because of the effect weather has on satellite TV frequencies.

I have lost my satellite signal just once since installing the dish in 2008. On that occasion the dish face had about 5" of snow on the face. 10 seconds with a broom resolved the issue. Lost Freeview service on numerous occasions due to multitransmitter reception during uplift reception conditions. For me at least satellite is way more reliable (I have both satellite and freeview HD pvrs).

Freeview has a scatter gun approach to channel numbering. Freesat has a scatter gun approach to HD channel numbering but otherwise groups channels more logically.

Freeview has never let me down reception-wise. Freesat does it frequently, heavy rain or snow usually causing problems. OTOH, we are 1 mile line-of-sight from a Freeview transmitter and rather more distant from a satellite. (And yes, I did upgrade to a bigger dish!)

Your dish needs more accurate alignment. Lost mine once since 2008, only because of a large amount of snow actually on the dish. Once removed despite blizzard conditions all was well. Never lost signal in any downpour conditions. I do though invariably watch the main channels on the much stronger UK spot beam transponders.

Your dish needs more accurate alignment. Lost mine once since 2008, only because of a large amount of snow actually on the dish. Once removed despite blizzard conditions all was well. Never lost signal in any downpour conditions. I do though invariably watch the main channels on the much stronger UK spot beam transponders.

I aligned it as best as I could with one of those signal gizmos. Any direction from where it is caused the signal to drop, even the tiniest movement. What more can I do? Signal strength is generally at 100% in fine weather, so is quality, but the signal breaks up in torrential rain and sticky snow like late last year also caused a total signal blank for a while.

Don't forget I am 100 miles north of you. I have chatted to people another 100 miles south of you who have never ever had any problems.

Thanks for that Graham, this problem only occurs very occasionally, twice now to be more precice the last time was 31st dec were two BBC progs failed to record one after the other. My new HDR foxsat only 6 weeks old sharing a quad LNB with my freesat tv which works fine. This whole issue is puzzling me.
Regards
I am down in Kent, medway in fact

How large a dish did you use ? A 80cm with a low noise lnb I would have thought given you more margin than I have on my 60cm (Zone 2 Sky) here in the Midlands. Did you try the wet towel trick when aligning ? Basically once you have a good lock you can remove the meter and use the set top box to optimise quality. Do you have 100% quality on all channels that are on 1N and 2F ?

I am using the standard sky dish to which I fitted a quad LNB, the rest of your reply has flown over my head a bit.

That is because he may or may not be talking to me! Who knows?

I was advised on here to upgrade to a 60cm (Zone 2) dish so that is what I did. There was no mention of 80cm as far as I remember.

No idea what the wet towel trick is. Optimizing using the box is impractical as it would involve a lot of running up and down ladders. As for 1N and 2F, haven't a clue, but I did mention at the time that some obscure channels were well off optimum.

New one on me too, but I'm not a satellite enthusiast. I guess it means using a wet towel draped over the dish to attenuate the signal, making it easier to find the sweet spot.

Is that better than the attenuation built into the signal meter, do you think? I reckon it sounds a bit Heath Robinson and would no doubt kill my signal completely. Anyway, I was getting a really screechy tone from the meter and turned it down so I could point more accurately.

I am going for a 500cm dish, I think...it will annoy the neighbours, though, especially that arm sticking over their garden.

The meter comes after the LNB, so no I would say that in a strong signal area the wet towel would be better. In a weak signal area you shouldn't need it. Are you aware that the "twist" of the LNB needs aligning as well as the direction of the dish?

The meter comes after the LNB, so no I would say that in a strong signal area the wet towel would be better. In a weak signal area you shouldn't need it. Are you aware that the "twist" of the LNB needs aligning as well as the direction of the dish?

The Skew? Yes, I checked that and it was OK. Most of the UK has the same skew. There was a map with the dish showing all the values and they had pre-set it to the commonest. There was even a spirit level on the arm to make sure I had it level!

Of course, I could go up there every couple of weeks and rub RainX on it...

The skew is different for 28.2E and 28.5E. A compromise about halfway in between is needed. (Astra 2 is non standard). For me 28.2 is -16.1 and 28.5 is -13.7

Incidentally there's no chance of getting it right with a cheap beeper meter. As it happened I stuck up a dish for a friend last Monday. The meter got close with azimuth and elevation but no chance in optimising skew. Using the box metering was able to get 100/100 using a zone 2 dish.

Spot beam transponders

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&sat=137&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&sat=149&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

I already have 100/100 on main channels. What else could I achieve? It's bad weather that screws the picture, on main channels. I found it quite easy to achieve 100/100 using the Konig Satfinder and without descending from the roof.

Back