Recording from a recording

PH111

Hello, I'm new here. We just bought one of these boxes and don't know how to record from a recording.

On our old Humax we just had to press the record button when we were playing back.

Can it be done please?

Hello, I'm new here. We just bought one of these boxes and don't know how to record from a recording.

On our old Humax we just had to press the record button when we were playing back.

Can it be done please?
Not sure exactly what you mean. If you are playing something back then surely you already have a recording ? Can you provide more detail of exactly what you mean ?

Do you mean record the programme you are currently watching timeshifted (or, indeed, watching live but only realise you want to record after it has started)?

If you press the record button you will get a recording set from where you are until the end of the programme. If you want to record the whole programme you must rewind through the timeshift buffer to start watching from the beginning again, and then press record.

Not sure exactly what you mean. If you are playing something back then surely you already have a recording ? Can you provide more detail of exactly what you mean ?
The 9200 is capable of recording an earlier recording as it is played back. I think some people use this as a way of keeping a recording of a small segment of a longer recording (yes I know that the 9200 has other ways of doing this).

In that case we're into the realm of editing, and there are no facilities at all for that. At least with my analogue PVR I was able to choose the thumbnail and top&tail the programmes!

Sorry for not making myself more clear

On our old 9200T we could record a program (eg Parkinson) , then during playback when we got to the singer we could press record (a new recording would be started called “Parkinson (New)” – then press stop at the end of the singer.

We could then delete Parkinson and be left with the short one with just the singer recorded.

I’m looking for the way to do that on our new box

Sorry for not making myself more clear

On our old 9200T we could record a program (eg Parkinson) , then during playback when we got to the singer we could press record (a new recording would be started called “Parkinson (New)” – the press stop at the end of the singer.

We could the delete Parkinson and be left with the short one with just the singer recorded.

I’m looking for the way to do that on our new box
I know what you're talking about, but in all my time with the new humax I have not heard of a way to do this.

Me neither. Only way to go, AFAIK, would be to record the whole programme, then edit as has been previously mentioned.

But what a good facility that was, never heard of that before. Not something you would use all the time but very useful.

This is an interesting thing though. Thinking about Black Holes note that you can record from the buffer on a time shift it's so close to being able to do this already i.e.
  • I can rewind to a start point on the time shift and record from what is essentially another recording already on the disk
  • The default is to record to the end of the program (using presumably the program info for the end point) but...
  • What happens if say, five minutes later I press the stop button - does it stop recording at that point and leave a file on the disc or cancel the recording and remove whatever file it had made?
  • I suppose the other option is that it doesn't actually record from the buffer as I've presumed, but rather it creates a file by extracting the relevant portion out of the buffer and creates a new file from that.
It's a shame this box doesn't do what the OP referred to though - it would be perfect for simple lead in/out editing to tidy up my ever increasing Fireman Sam and Roary the Racing Car collection!!!

• The default is to record to the end of the program (using presumably the program info for the end point) but...
  • What happens if say, five minutes later I press the stop button
You can edit the live buffer (but not a recording), As stated you can re-wind to anywhere in the 2 Hour buffer and then press record, Pressing record a second time gives you 'Stop' options of End of this program, End of next program or manually entering any program length, If as you say you start the recording and later press stop you will have a new recording of your desired start and stop points, Note, the stop point is not selectable from anywhere in the buffer, It can only be the current 'live' point, So editing is a little 'clunky' to say the least

Thanks so much for your replies - do you know how I could request this feature from Humax for a future update? I'm sure lots of people would find this useful.

Thanks so much for your replies - do you know how I could request this feature from Humax for a future update? I'm sure lots of people would find this useful.

I had a 9200 for years and never used it once. Much easier to transfer the footage to a PC and copy out any bits you wanted (or delete the bits you want to keep). Once on a PC you can simply put the bits you want on a DVD.

do you know how I could request this feature from Humax for a future update?

I think the general opinion on the forums is that Humax reguard the development of the HDR FOX T2 as pretty much finished and that if we get any further software updates (one if we're lucky) it will be for bug fixes and portal enhansements only. There is an unofficial software development program that may interst you HERE

The 9200 is capable of recording an earlier recording as it is played back. I think some people use this as a way of keeping a recording of a small segment of a longer recording (yes I know that the 9200 has other ways of doing this).
It can also be used to create an unscrambled copy of a recording that was made from a scrambled pay tv channel. This can be useful if the card is about to expire permanently or if someone wants to transfer the recording to a PC.

Thanks for being so helpful – I can see there is a lot here for me to learn, that I will find stimulating.

However my wife is not so IT literate and just wants to press record to record from a recording. She keeps saying to me “it’s not as good as the old Humax; I thought you said this was better”.

Regarding bugs I have found that the back button doesn’t work if I change channels using the guide – this was not a problem on the old box – so how do I report this bug please?

Thanks for being so helpful – I can see there is a lot here for me to learn, that I will find stimulating.

However my wife is not so IT literate and just wants to press record to record from a recording. She keeps saying to me “it’s not as good as the old Humax; I thought you said this was better”.

Regarding bugs I have found that the back button doesn’t work if I change channels using the guide – this was not a problem on the old box – so how do I report this bug please?

I've seen this covered somewhere before but can't remember where - as far as I can remember in order for the Back button to work I think you have to get the info bar up using the 'i' button - then Back will take you back. Your wife I can't help you with I'm afraid :)

Regarding bugs I have found that the back button doesn’t ... so how do I report this bug please?

To report a bug (or request a new feature) on-line E-mail here >> uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk However although some people have been known to get help, I think it's fair to say that the majority get either no reply or one which gives no extra information than you gave to them.

I've seen this covered somewhere before but can't remember where - as far as I can remember in order for the Back button to work I think you have to get the info bar up using the 'i' button - then Back will take you back. Your wife I can't help you with I'm afraid :)

That's correct, when the programme information bar is displayed (by pressing 'i') then the back button works.

If you had not found the back button function of the i bar, perhaps you are not aware of the other useful things you can do.
When watching live with the i bar showing it is possible to navigate channels and/or programmes by using the arrow keys. It does not affect the current programme apart from obscuring the lower part of the screen, but having found something you would like to record, pressing OK brings up the options to record, remind etc.
I hope I am not teaching anyone's Grandmother to suck eggs!

Back