Recording the Red Button streams?

gomezz

With the MotoGP season underway again but with the quali sessions and support races often not shown on the one Freeview 301 Red Button channel I would like to be able to record the Red Button streams from Freesat. I have in the past been present and able to record a single stream to my HDD/DVD recorder but what with working Saturdays and playing most Sundays I need something more flexible in preference to falling back on watching an online Eurosport Player re-run in sub-VHS quality.

Do I just need to install Raydon's modded firmware and use the Channel Editor? I am not really interested in the other features the modded firmware gives and have got lost trying to find what I need to do amongst the myriad of information available.

Not tried a recording timer yet for the Red Button Data Streams. As I understand it recording reservations don't survive housekeeping (although a solution is currently being tested). I have set a timer for 0900 for stream 3 tommorow so watch this space. Installing the latest version is a doddle. Flash the firmware in the usual way. Logon onto the Foxsat-hdr using a browser by simply entering it's IP address. The package management page lets you install which packages you want by merely clicking on them including the channel editor. The firmware download has all the info you need in a text file.

Once installed there are further help files.

You should try the Web remote control, the recording schedule view (which shows all the scheduled episodes in your series recordings with crids and the customisable epg views.

Ta for that. Sounds simple when you put it like that. Will give it a go tomorrow morning (I am at my safest doing brain work in the mornings) when there will be many hours to go before it needs to record something in the evening. Actually, since I started this thread the Freeview EPG for 301 has been changed to show the ancillary MotoGP coverage for this weekend so the pressure is off for a couple of weeks.

Ta for that. Sounds simple when you put it like that. Will give it a go tomorrow morning (I am at my safest doing brain work in the mornings) when there will be many hours to go before it needs to record something in the evening. Actually, since I started this thread the Freeview EPG for 301 has been changed to show the ancillary MotoGP coverage for this weekend so the pressure is off for a couple of weeks.

Make sure you pick up the latest version which includes V1.00.20 firmware.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/16508228-post1.html

Actually, since I started this thread the Freeview EPG for 301 has been changed to show the ancillary MotoGP coverage for this weekend so the pressure is off for a couple of weeks.
I see coverage for MotoGP practice but not for the race. Only Moto2 & Moto3. Are you sure?

I was referring to 301. The main coverage on BBC2 / HD was taken as read and not part of the issue as explained in my first post.

The recording reservation for stream 3 survived housekeeping (The problem must be for non-freesat channels that the box knows nothing about). Recording due to start at 09:00.

EDIT Recording in progress.

EDIT Recording replays just fine. Quality is very good as well - 100% success :)

Well got on with it a bit later than I intended but I think I am there. Hardest part was finding a free RAR extracter utility for my laptop. Just set a test timer ...

... that worked OK. But then I found I seem to have lost normal Red Button operation. Went back and set the 5th and 6th streams back to default leaving me with just four streams and this gave me the Red Button back. Is this the way it should be?

Curious! I will have to give this another try when next both I and the Hummy can find some free time to be together.

I did a test timer yesterday for the Moto3 and Moto2 races. Went to the Red Button and saw that coverage was due to start on Stream 2 (ie press button 2) so I set a timer for what I thought was Stream 2. Just checked the recording today and it has recorded the snooker instead.

Do the on-screen numbers not match up to the numbers in the stream identifiers then? If not how do I know what corresponds to what?

I did a test timer yesterday for the Moto3 and Moto2 races. Went to the Red Button and saw that coverage was due to start on Stream 2 (ie press button 2) so I set a timer for what I thought was Stream 2. Just checked the recording today and it has recorded the snooker instead.

Do the on-screen numbers not match up to the numbers in the stream identifiers then? If not how do I know what corresponds to what?

Tune to them using the red button and again via the web interface. afaik the numbers correspond. Perhaps the beeb switched the streams.

They didn't switch streams as I was actually watching it live on that stream. I guess I need to recheck what I have done.

Just double checked what is on the Red Button streams and it looks like Red Button streams 2 and 3 are swapped over on the multiscreen as selected by 3 and 2 respectively. Stream 1 selected by 1 and nothing on stream 4 at the moment.

So I have renamed streams 2 and 3 as Red Button 3 and Red Button 2 and it looks like they get their first real test this weekend with MotoGP clashing with the final stages of the world snooker. Fortunately I will not be working this Saturday for a change nor going out to play on Sunday so I will be able to keep a close eye on things.

Back