Recordings cut short

Any ideas how the file system got in such a twist, apparently beond the ablities of the Humax internal utilities to correct it?
As far as I know there aren't any utilities on the Humax to fix anything related to the file system; the only protection you have is that ext3 is a journalling file system and should be able to recover itself from events like sudden shutdown due to power loss.

...and the only user fix they offer is a total reformat (which will sort out the file system, but take your recordings with it). I'm sure I don't need to tell you that if it were a HDR-FOX with custom firmware, you would have other options.

Hello

I'd almost forgotten this thread with having some other home IT issues to sort (now all OK) and then Christmas but I had better report back.

Now, about two months on from doing a file system check and fix on the Humax disk from a PC running Linux I have had no more of the cut-short recordings so I think it might be fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.
Will

Aaaaggghhh!!

It's acting up again. I intend (probably tomorrow) to take the HDD out again and run a fsck from a PC to see if file system errors have come back.

Clutching at straws, I looked again as to weather there is newer firmware available. Mine is 1.01.16 and available from Humax is 1.01.20 so I might well update even though the only fix listed is for HDMI sound issues. Is there a list somewhere of releases as there looks to have been others between mine and the currant offering?

Could someone confirm the best procedure to install a firmware update to the HDR2000T from a USB pen drive? I know It's on the Hmax download page but having seen the thread relating to the Fox where the Humax instructions missed out a step I wanted to check.

Thanks again for all the help.
William

having seen the thread relating to the Fox where the Humax instructions missed out a step
The problem is confusion between contemporary models HDR-FOX and HD-FOX, Humax (in all this time) haven't spotted they've just duplicated the instructions for updating the HDR-FOX into the HD-FOX support page, when actually they need to be different.

I've had a quick glance over the HDR-2000T instructions, and although I can't confirm they are correct they do not seem unreasonable.

Clutching at straws, I looked again as to weather there is newer firmware available. Mine is 1.01.16 and available from Humax is 1.01.20 so I might well update even though the only fix listed is for HDMI sound issues.
I think 1.01.18 is the fix for the sound problem released in early 2018. I wasn't aware of 1.01.20 until you mentioned it and I am sure it wasn't there a few months ago. At a guess it may be an an iPlayer fix. I have not seen 1 01.17 or 1.01.19 and I suspect they were never publicly released. I'll see if I can get confirmation of what it is supposed to fix.
Could someone confirm the best procedure to install a firmware update to the HDR2000T from a USB pen drive? I know It's on the Hmax download page but having seen the thread relating to the Fox where the Humax instructions missed out a step I wanted to check.
I think the instructions are OK. The bit about pressing the down arrow is referring to the down arrow on the box itself; some people have been known to waste a lot of time pressing the down arrow on the remote control.

Hello

Error scaned Humax HDD - just two relating to "superblock times" very different to last time but I'll put it back together and see what happens.

Updating
Is the front or the rear USB port preferred?
Dose it matter if there are other files on the USB as long as none have the same extension as the Humax firmware?

Unlikely to matter. On HDR-FOX the front port is on an extension cable, whereas the rear port comes directly off the main board. They have equivalent functionality, but it has been known for the extension cable to break and render the front port inoperable.

Dose it matter if there are other files on the USB as long as none have the same extension as the Humax firmware?
The advice is to use an otherwise empty UPD, but I have never known it not to work (if it is going to work at all). The whole file name matters, not just the extension (Linux assigns no special meaning to file extensions, they are all part of the file name – including the dot).

I’m sure the instructions on one of my Humaxes expresses a preference for the front port (or should that be not the rear port) for updates. Probably the 5000T rather than the 2000T. I’ve always used the front port - it’s easier to get to!
Never had a problem with other items being on the stick.

Hello

Just to say it's all back together and the firmware update went as advertised. Completed faster than the 5mins suggested by Humax and some of the prompts were a bit different but it seems to have worked in that the box now reports S/W version 1.01.20.

Now to see what happens with a few recordings -- if it keeps acting up it'll have to go...

Will

Back