Recordings not visible after running fix disk

Frank

Recently ran fix disk due to issues with recording and intermittent freezing on playback with channel scrambled or unavailable message. It took 24 hrs to run and at one stage there was a message on the telnet display about changing the file journal from EXT 3 to EXT 2. I have seen this posted by another contributor but they also mentioned that the reverse took place later as fix disk ran which I don't think happened in my case. After the run finished, the system was rebooted and I put it into standby and haven't used it until today. On power up everything ran normally and I know that the HDD was working. When checking recordings, processing flashed on the screen but the files were not visible. The HDD icon showed 153 GB free. Before the fix disk run the free space was around 173gb.There was also a message during the fix disk run about certain packages loaded with the web interface were disabled. When I entered the web interface I had a message to say that the custom firmware was loaded successfully but I had to download the full web interface again. Although they downloaded they couldn't be loaded to the hard disk as it wasn't recognised. I have reinstalled the custom firmware 3.13 and tried to look for the recordings but got the same result as before. The display shows video and I can see the HDD icon showing 153 GB free but the recordings are not listed. I know the HDD is working so I will try to download the web interface again but before I do I wondered if anyone had other ideas as to how to access the recording files. Presumably the change from EXT 3 to EXT 2 might be the issue? Can this be reversed? I have checked the web interface again and this time I can see the icons without getting a message to install the full interface as I did before but I don't think that the default packages are installed. How is the full web interface reinstalled? Checking the video files via the web interface shows that the directory is empty but the used memory is over 700 GB so the files are probably there but not accessible. Any ideas please?

DO NOT try to reinstall ANYTHING (WebIf etc) until you have sorted out what's wrong with the HDD.

1. Ensure you have the latest CF download installed to Flash. The current CF version is displayed on the front panel during boot. (Okay, you say you have – but for the benefit of anyone else reading this, check the latest version here: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads.)

2. Use Telnet to access the diagnostics menu, switch to Maintenance Mode, and re-run fixdisk (don't worry how long it takes). Grab the terminal output and POST IT UP HERE.

For more detailed instructions, see Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

For advice how to post terminal output, see Newbies' Guide to the Forum, section "Code Listings and Terminal Output".

Last edited:
Fix disk has been running for over 6 days. The HDR T2 display shows FixDisk Init. A long test was initiated automatically as there was a message about not being able to find LBA. Unfortunately I have lost the start of the terminal display output presumably due to the length of time it has been running but have attached a copy of the typical output and this is continuing to happen but it is very slow. I decided to persevere with it but it seems to be taking much longer than I would have thought.

Attachments

• Fix Disk Output.txt
    21.4 KB · Views: 9
+1 - I recently went through this scenario of desperately trying to get the disk to settle down but it would not correct itself and the errors just kept mounting up on every start up.
My confidence in the disk to do its basic job of recording/playing went out the window.
I bit the bullet and purchased a new disk and have not looked back since. I just want it to sit there and quitely get on with its job...

Thanks for your comments. What would be the best replacement 1TB HDD to obtain in your opinion?

Further to my Mar 20th post, having searched the forum for lost recordings after running fixdisk I came across
Can I recover files "lost" after running fix-disk?

I intend to replace the HDD but would like to copy viable exisiting recordings to the new disk. The intention is to use a SATA USB adapter to do this after the exisiting HDD has been replaced.
In an attempt to access the lost recordings I used the command line to enter
humax# mv /mnt/hd2/lost+found/* "/media/My Video" as suggested in the thread
and although I am now able to see lost recordings they are in a folder showing as #20865025. This folder has 123 files and when opened is named [HDD] My Video #20865025 and contains a list of the recordings. So far I have been able to play some of them.

When the Media button is pressed, instead of just the list of recordings stored on the HDD there are 6 Folders:
#20660225 containing no files
#20865025 containing my 'lost recordings'
#36921345 containing no files
#37634049 containing 1 file but when the folder is expanded the file is not visible
#57655297 containing 9 files, When expanded the sub folders are listed as
bin with 1 file
etc with 5 files
include
lib with 3 files
sbin
share with 2 files
tmp with 2 files
var with 4 files
webif with 6 files
#7938049 containing no files

The webif folder I suppose would hold the Web Interface files but normally the folders above are usually not visible in that way. Only the recordings are usually shown when the Media button is pressed.
However, when attempting to load up the web interface I received a message that no internal disk was found. I attempted to reset the custom firmware with a view to redownloading the web interface files again but am unable to do that due to the internal disk not being found. The plan was to run a decrypt package to decrypt files before removing the old HDD, installing the new disk and then doing the copy. I am guessing that the reason the Web IF couldn't see the disk could be due to the findings described above as the HDD is present and working albeit in a potentially flaky way. Can anyone assist please?

When the Media button is pressed, instead of just the list of recordings stored on the HDD there are 6 Folders:
#20660225 containing no files
#20865025 containing my 'lost recordings'
#36921345 containing no files
#37634049 containing 1 file but when the folder is expanded the file is not visible
#57655297 containing 9 files, When expanded the sub folders are listed as
#7938049 containing no files
So as you no doubt realise these numbered directories are recovered directories whose names have been lost with the disk's root directory. In particular #20865025 is 'My Video' and #57655297 is 'mod' (ie where the CF packages live).

It's probably best to install your new disk and confirm that configuration first; then recover files from the old disk using the SATA USB adapter. Without wishing to spam the forum, I'll point out that I just suggested using rsync to bulk copy recordings like this in another thread. As your source disk is in a questionable state, it might be safer to copy recording by recording, but that's not necessarily practical, for example if you happened to have an entire collection of Friends episodes.

I have now installed the replacement disk and it is working well. Using the SATA USB adapter, the old disk is showing similar symptoms to those seen when it was installed so definitely in a questionable state. I would like to thank Martin, Black Hole and /df et al for their insight and assistance.

Back