Recurring power off/reboot issues - stops when Aerial removed Why?

Tina767

Please can someone help me?

I have been having problems with my HDR-FOX T2. The current issue I have is that I cannot get it to stay on so it is inoperable.

It constantly powers off and then immediately reboots and then again immediately powers off again and again .....

I have found that if I remove the aerial that it will stay on and it will let me access the items I have already recorded and it will let me watch them and delete them but obviously as it has no aerial I cannot watch any program's or record them so pretty useless really.

I would like to know what is likely to be causing this? I know that I have a very dodgy HDD and I know I need to replace it but I don't want to buy a new HDD and find out that I have something seriously wrong with the memory/motherboard etc. Otherwise I might as well just go out and buy a brand new Recording Unit.

I think the problems I now have, have been caused by something I have done myself! My initial issue was with the recurring deleting problem. I have had this issue before and thought I could fix it, which I appear to have succeeded in doing but have now created another problem!
I corrected it by loading custom firmware and by using Telnet to do various maintenance work including using the Fixdisk option, this found numerous corrupt blocks which were mostly corrected although some areas had to be forcibly rewritten. I left the FixDisk running for well over 12 hours but for the last 4 it stayed stuck on the same thing and did nothing I eventually came to the conclusion that it had got stuck so disconnected the power. It is obvious that I do have an HDD which is very much on its way out, but I think I may now have caused myself another problem? Although it would be nice if this was also being caused by the faulty HDD. But I think I may have caused a problem by loading Custom Firmware which was dated to early. Hopefully someone can tell me one way or the other?

I loaded 1.02.20, but after giving it more thought I now believe that I purchased my Humax in late 2012, unfortunately after the date of 1.02.20. Could this be causing some kind of clash in the system? I have now subsequently reloaded the latest firmware and have managed to do a factory Reset but this does not solve the constant rebooting powering off issue I now have. When I load the latest custom firmware it lets me search for channels and it finds them, it then lets me save them but the unit then immediately powers off before you get to the final bit when it lets you select the region and press 'finish'. I have managed to get round this by reloading the firmware again and after I have saved the channels, I remove the aerial and then it lets me select the area and press finish, but as soon as I put the aerial back it it powers off.

Have I somehow corrupted the memory board by loading too early dated custom firmware, or do I somehow have a clash with tv channels or could this be caused by a faulty HDD?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
P.S. I have just got to go out for 3/4 hours but will be back later to reply to any questions. Thanks

Tina

It could well be the HDD. When tuned to a channel the Humax buffers the channel to the disk to allow pause, etc., for live TV.
Would suggest you run FixDisk again and just let it run and run. It can take a long time and, as long as it does complete, you will know one way or the other.

Thanks Peter for your reply. I will try running another Fixdisk. But as I said, I am sure I do have problem with the HDD but I wanted to make sure this is the only problem and that I have not corrupted the whole the set?

I am quite willing to go out and buy a new HDD and fit it, but didn't wanted to waste £70+ on a new HDD to then find it does not solve all my issues and I have wasted my money.

I will do another FixDisk anyway and report back. It seems strange that I can still get the stuff I have already recorded to work and delete and yet I cannot do anything else, so obviously the HDD is still working in a fashion!

Seeing as you're Customised and Telnet capable (you've posted in the wrong section of the forum), post the output from this:
Code:
humax# smartctl -a /dev/sda
and someone will tell you if your disk is salvageable or not.
Another thing that would be useful to do is to open up the case and unplug the hard disk and then see if it still crashes.

I said, I am sure I do have problem with the HDD but I wanted to make sure this is the only problem and that I have not corrupted the whole the set?
If the HDD is faulty, you wont be able to fully test the board etc. unless you replace the HDD.
It's normally only one fault that may cause multiple symptoms.
It is obvious that I do have an HDD which is very much on its way out, but I think I may now have caused myself another problem?
What other problem? It is unlikely that a faulty HDD would break the motherboard without showing more drastic symptoms.
Let fixdisk run overnight. Apparently it sometimes takes a very long time to run right through.

The link I referred in post 5 provides a systematic checklist, and covers everything (if it doesn't, tell me).

Thanks for everyone's input so far, it is much appreciated. I have now managed to do the following:-

I have used the code that prpr supplied: Humax# smart ctl-a / dev/sda, and got the results shown in the attached. (Can't seem to find out how to attach a file, can anyone help, if not I will just have to paste into a message albeit rather long!) Don't know what this says about the state of my HDD perhaps someone can have a quick look at it?

I have also run a FixDisk via maintenance mode but it seems to fail very quickly as you will see, so I think this is confirming to me that my HDD is past it! See attached output. (Can't seem to find out how to attach a file, can anyone help, if not I will just have to paste into a message albeit rather long!)

I have then opened up the unit and disconnected the HDD as per the very useful check list supplied by Black Hole, so it acts as a receiver. I am very pleased to report that it stops the constant powering off and rebooting issues I had previously and acts very well as a receiver as I can now view/watch all channels etc.

Can I just ask the following:
Am I right in assuming that it confirms that my HDD is faulty and that hopefully everything else is ok?
Am I right in assuming that if I now purchase and fit a new HDD that it will work properly again. (Keeping everything crossed!)

Thank you for all your help.

Am I right in assuming that it confirms that my HDD is faulty and that hopefully everything else is ok?
Yes, although it might be possible to recover the drive if you are prepared to fiddle with it. On the other hand you might not.
Am I right in assuming that if I now purchase and fit a new HDD that it will work properly again.
Yes. See the guides.
Can't seem to find out how to attach a file
Erm, the "Upload a File" button? If you are using a mobile browser you might need the "More Options..." button. However, there is a better way of doing it: see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Thanks. I am so sorry if I am doing this wrong, it is all new to me! I did try the upload a file link but on my iPad it would only let me upload Photos not documents, and the more options, just links me to a URL, I tried adding a code box but it says I am not able to include links or emails as I am new. I think I have found a way round it by using a different pc (not mine!). Hope that works!

I really do think that my HDD is worn out as I have used it so much over the last 4 years. Many hours of recording everyday, as the family never watch anything on the tv live, everything is watched in delay by firstly recording. I don't think it would be worth trying to fix as I am not that clever.

Anyway here are the attached code dumps I mentioned in my previous post.

thanks

Attachments

• Humax# smart ctl-a : dev:sda result 040517.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Maint FixDisk output 040517.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you're right - the iPad is particularly a pain for trying to attach anything. It's annoying that the spam filters see terminal dumps as links though.

I'm not an expert, but the disk doesn't look happy. Mine, however, are of various ages up to 7 years without problems (and running continuously).

Yes, that disk is definitely broken. I don't remember seeing another posted here that had as many faults!

4 years is no great age for a disk. I have fileservers that have run much longer than that. On the other hand, the time shift buffer possibly takes a hammering.

The official position, that you lose all recordings when a disk fails, is ludicrous. Well done the guys who make it possible to backup recordings and restore to a new disk.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me so far, I have just got myself a new HDD, so now to try and fit it. I have seen a few YouTube videos on how to change, but just wondered if there is any info or a link on this forum for changing the HDD on my HDR-Fox T2?

Plus one other question, do you think it will be possible to either view or transfer any of my old recordings on the old HDD or will it be too dangerous to try this as I may corrupt the new HDD with any of the blocks and issues I currently have on my existing HDD? Might be best just to say goodbye to the old recordings!

Thanks

Last edited:
Plus one other question, do you think it will be possible to either view or transfer any of my old recordings on the old HDD or will it be too dangerous to try this as I may corrupt the new HDD with any of the blocks and issues I currently have on my existing HDD?
You won't corrupt the new hard drive so certainly worth trying.

Just a quick update. I am very pleased to report that I have now managed to successfully fit my new HDD and my set is working. Absolutely wonderful! I cannot thank you all enough for all your help and guidance. I am so pleased with myself not bad for a female pensioner!!

I have ordered myself a new USB-SATA adapter so just waiting for that to arrive to see if it will be possible to view any of my recordings I have on the old HDD.

Thanks again. Keep up the excellent work all of you. You have saved me approx £150 I can't thank you enough.

I am so pleased with myself not bad for a female pensioner!!
That's a bit sexist and ageist Tina.:roflmao: (Stuff the PC brigade). But job well done and great result. I suspect you will be able to recover most, if not all of the stuff on the old HDD.
I have ordered myself a new USB-SATA adapter
Hope is was a powered one as the USB port will not run a 5 1/4 inch HDD. Good luck.

Back